Andre Reed Elected into the Pro Football HOF

Peter King sticking to the "if":

@SI_PeterKing

If Reed makes it, Buf fans owe big thanks to eloquent @gggaughan of BufNews.

It's been reported that this year for the first time, cameras were inside the room and the presentations will be shown on TV at some point. Can't wait to watch Gaughan's presentation.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So who's next from the Bill's super bowl teams? There's Tasker, but very tough road ST players, Beneitt not sure he played long enough, did Kent Hull do enough? Would think one of the O-lineman should go, but there was alot of turnover there, no one other than Hull was around that long.

IMO the only guy that has a pretty strong chance is Bill Polian

Just saw the replay of the NFL Awards show, where they announced and introduced the Class of 2014. They showed Bruce and Jimbo in the audience cheering Andre on... it was the second time they showed Kelly in the audience. He is with a very pretty, young, girl..is that his daughter? She looks a bit like Jill...but if that is Jill, she has aged incredibly well, or had some incredible plastic surgeons. It was cool, Kelly looked very, very proud of Andre...almost looked like Jim was getting a little choked up.

The only bad news, I would bet that Michael Strahan will get the last induction speech in August...great player, but I am not a big fan of the guy... also embarrassed to say I have barely ever heard of Claude Humphrey...I think I have an old football card of him from the late 1960's...first time I can remember having to look up a HOF entry to find out who they were...I guess I grew up in an AFL house... little early exposure to Philadelphia Eagles or Atlanta Falcons football.

Isn't it Arlingtone? :blush:

I'm a couple of years older than you, so I remember Humphrey well. He seemed to be All Pro every year.

That was definitely Erin Kelly, Jim's oldest daughter, sitting next to him. She's a frosh in college - and very pretty.

Yes! Combine the bloodlines. The plan is coming to fruition.

We just have to wait for the 2040 draft to finally have our franchise QB.

As Darcy told Sabres fans, we have a little suffering to do for awhile.

Reed gets in on numbers alone, not to mention HOW he got those numbers, refer to youtube for a visual :)

Seriously though his RAC is crazy. I never remember him as being a burner but he would get the ball and be in sixth gear instantly. While the defenders would be in 3rd gear. Crazy to watch those reels after all these years.

Seriously though his RAC is crazy. I never remember him as being a burner but he would get the ball and be in sixth gear instantly. While the defenders would be in 3rd gear. Crazy to watch those reels after all these years.

That's how I picture him. Going over the middle and being in full stride and even accelerating as he catches the ball with just his hands, as his body keeps going where he wants to go.

That's how I picture him. Going over the middle and being in full stride and even accelerating as he catches the ball with just his hands, as his body keeps going where he wants to go.

He was second only to Jerry Rice in that department. Just one of the many reasons that Andre should've been in long ago.

Well deserved...to a gracious and humble guy that has yearned for this recognition too long. Well done Reed, thanks for the memories and Congratulations on this achievement!! Enjoy it and please know, in the minds and hearts of BILLS fans everywhere, you've been enshrined from the day you retired.

I really wish and hope he gets in.

As an aside, can you imagine how long it is going to be before another Bill is voted to the HOF ?

Kiko! Next year, I hear they are waiving the whole retirement/5 year waiting requirements for him.

Actually Noodlearm, if you count Lofton it is 6:

Marv Levy HOF 2001

Jim Kelly HOF 2002

James Lofton 2003

Thurman Thomas HOF 2007

Bruce Smith HOF 2009

Andre Reed HOF 2014

and...if you want to count Ralph...it would be 7!

Other outside shots: Steve Tasker, Bill Polian!

Tasker should def be in, now that they have a punter in the hall. Although, Tasker might have to wait a long time. Polian as well.

Edited by RyanC883

Kiko! Next year, I hear they are waiving the whole retirement/5 year waiting requirements for him.

Tasker should def be in, now that they have a punter in the hall. Although, Tasker might have to wait a long time. Polian as well.

Good point on Tasker. He might have to wait like Ray Guy but a punter getting into the HOF opens things up for him.

So I've been waiting all weekend to read what Peter King had to say in his MMQB column because he has made no secret about the fact that he doesn't think Reed belongs in the Hall. To his credit, he reiterated that fact in today's column and said that he likes Tim Brown and Harrison more, which is fine. He said Reed was a very good receiver, but wasn't one of the greats. Fine. But then he says Bettis belongs in the Hall. Was Bettis ever heralded as more than merely a plainly "good" running back? Just goes to show it's all about perception. Also, of course, Bettis worked for NBC for a while, with King.

Edited by GOBILLS78

So I've been waiting all weekend to read what Peter King had to say in his MMQB column because he has made no secret about the fact that he doesn't think Reed belongs in the Hall. To his credit, he reiterated that fact in today's column and said that he likes Tim Brown and Harrison more, which is fine. He said Reed was a very good receiver, but wasn't one of the greats. Fine. But then he says Bettis belongs in the Hall. Was Bettis ever heralded as more than merely a plainly "good" running back? Just goes to show it's all about perception. Also, of course, Bettis worked for NBC for a while, with King.

Mr. King needs to review what Andre did in his PLAYOFF career (not just SuperBowls, the whole Playoffs) and also consider he played in bad weather on a team that ran as much as it passed. If he took all this into account there is no chance he'd still feel that way.. Tim Brown? Seriously?

Edited by 34-78-83

@WGR550

Did you miss Marv Levy on WGR discussing Andre Reed making the HOF? Listen here: http://audio.wgr550....gr.htm …

@WGR550

Bill Polian, too http://audio.wgr550....gr.htm …

Mark Gaughn Talks Andre Reed HOF Election on Sports Radio 1270 2/3/14

I didn't listen to that yet, but I heard Marv talk before Andre got in. I think on Friday. He still sounds exactly like he always did. He's got to be close to 90 now, and he sounds like he's 40 years old. Most people, like Jack Ramsey, even though are very sharp, their speech slows down a little.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! :worthy:

Lord, how I miss those days. :thumbsup:

I would tear my ACL on half the moves he makes

I didn't listen to that yet, but I heard Marv talk before Andre got in. I think on Friday. He still sounds exactly like he always did. He's got to be close to 90 now, and he sounds like he's 40 years old. Most people, like Jack Ramsey, even though are very sharp, their speech slows down a little.

What freaks me out, his voice sounds just like my fathers, at certain times. But you are right, he sounds lucid as ever...and is still pretty quick witted.

VCR Alert:

Tonight (Wednesday 2/5/14) the NFL Network will air a special, profiling the 2014 HOF class...it will be on at 9pm eastern, and re-run again at midnight...so, you can still catch the Sabres/Penguins game on NBC Sports (could it be Ryan Millers' last game as a Sabre?) and catch the midnight feeding!

Edited by Buftex

A previous posted noted a very important aspect. How many HOF receivers had a HOF back on their team at the same time? Also, It's sad to see Reed's rank with current receivers inflated stats (comparatively speaking) because only someone that seen him play the game in the 90's can appreciate his gains in LINEBACKER territory instead of the current "passing league" receivers long gains on 180lb DB's. Andre had his head on a swivel for putting in so many great years. Reed deserves this and has for years. I will be making the trip to Canton to see that induction. It will be the last for a loooong time bills fans. Let's go support/respect a true NFL great...