My take after some research on Byrd

D521646

There's a giant difference in passing out good contracts with the long term future in sight and being cheap. I really don't know how people can still say the Bills are cheap. Because they didn't pay a guard who hasn't made one pro bowl $8 million? At the same time, people say the Bills are dumb for overpaying for guys like Mario and Stevie. Which one is it?

I didn't say the Bills are cheap, but the 2009 draft yielded 3 above average starters, the one in question being a 3 time Pro Bowler. Thus far, the team has signed one of them beyond their initial contract which wasn't a franchise tender.

The Bills have a tendency to cut off their nose to spite their face, as evidenced by the use of the draft to replace departed veterans. It's been discussed ad nauseam, but you cannot deny that if Byrd leaves whatever cap savings are far outweighed by the loss in on-field talent. It's been Buffalo's MO, particularly with their own players, since 2006.

Furthermore, it sends quite a message when the team elects to spend big dollars in UFA on a guy like Mario (who played exceptionally well this season) and then follow it up by not re-signing their own pending UFA's. You can't build a winning team by not keeping your own elite talent and signing one elite guy every few years in UFA. The 2006-present Bills are a prime example.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean that based on available cap room, or based on the Bills' history of spending under the cap?

If the Bills decide to tag him again, my question to the front office is, what exactly are you trying to build here? Surely you don't think you're going to the Super Bowl next year so what's the point other than keeping Byrd for another year for "entertainment purposes" for the fans?

If they tag him, they can trade him.

So today I am off, and I decided to look around all the non playoff team forums, and with the exception of maybe three or four teams, the fans in their "2014 free agents wish list" threads, I see a very common theme. Jarius Byrd is sought after in a big way by almost everyone in their 1st wish or 2nd for who they think the team should deal for in the off-season. So what does it tell you? It tells me that he's really good, and people, fans have noticed. So, up until recently I was one of the guys saying that we should offer Byrd a respectable contract in the range of 40m over 5 years, but now I'm starting to think that he may be worth what he's asking for. The business man in me though just can't shake the risk vs reward aspect of it all. It's difficult to weigh the risk/reward in this type of transaction. Can AW replace Byrd? Can one of the rookies? Is the position serviceable, and was Byrd's performance more of a reflection on our front 7's play? I do NOT envy OBD on this one, as they have other pressing or soon to be pressing contract negotiations looming, but man-o-man, wouldn't it be nice to sign Byrd long term?

Can AW replace Byrd?No. AW is a SS, Byrd is a FS, and they are best in those spots

Can one of the rookies? That would be doubtful, as Byrd has made the Pro Bowl 3 times. Doubt it, since Meeks and Duke Williams were later round picks for a reason.

Is the position serviceable, and was Byrd's performance more of a reflection on our front 7's play? Not sure what you mean by is it serviceable, but since Byrd had very good seasons in years we had very bad defenses, I would say not it is not a reflection of our front 7's play this year

I don't think that's necessarily the case; Byrd wants to get paid, and if the Bills are willing to pay him what he wants, he'll stay.

As for the tag, it would cost Buffalo $8.3M to tag him for the 2014 season...if they can't sign him, you bet your behind I'd tag him again.

Yes, I think that's it - the man wants to be paid, and while he isn't going to give us a "hometown discount", he isn't going to jack up his price for here either. As for all the non-playoff-teams whose fans want Byrd, if Byrd goes anywhere he probably has priorities, such as wanting to land with a playoff contender so he has a shot at making it to the Big Dance before he retires. That can be tricky - just ask Steven Jackson and Antonio Gates.

Contrary to a lotof people I believe if we had a big safety that can pound the line in the box would be more ideal for the way Petine runs the defense. We might not miss Jarius that much and be better able to stop the run with someione else...

Who is he and how was he acquired?

Can AW replace Byrd?No. AW is a SS, Byrd is a FS, and they are best in those spots

Can one of the rookies? That would be doubtful, as Byrd has made the Pro Bowl 3 times. Doubt it, since Meeks and Duke Williams were later round picks for a reason.

Is the position serviceable, and was Byrd's performance more of a reflection on our front 7's play? Not sure what you mean by is it serviceable, but since Byrd had very good seasons in years we had very bad defenses, I would say not it is not a reflection of our front 7's play this year

agreed on all fronts.

byrd isnt some fluke or flash in the pan or guy that came out of nowhere in a contract year. hes been a VERY good player for several years, in several schemes, under several coaches, and often without much pressure up front. can we find another player cheaper that wouldnt be a disaster - definitely. we could go that route and it could work out alright, or we could plug in a colin brown because "anybody can play that position." we could on the other hand lock up a guy that is an established premiere player in his prime.

i like keeping byrd here, even at a high price, but i know its not simple or 100% black and white either.

Who is he and how was he acquired?

and can this extra linebacker play center field when we put our corners out on islands in order to execute our blitz packages.

My take is he is a difference maker and I don't care if they overpay for him...plenty of vets they could cut to save cap space and replace with rookies that wouldn't have any dropoff or potentially would be an upgrade(Pears, etc)

Edited by matter2003

What Byrd and his agent think he's worth, or what the Bills think he's worth?...Because there seems to be a bit of a gap there... ;)

Market price. End of story. He's earned it.

I'd tag him again. Then see if you can workout a reasonable deal, or look to trade him. At worst he plays for $8.3M this year (the Bills have the cap room).

OK, say he's tagged and plays one more year. We're not a Super Bowl contender so what are you building toward with that approach? Is it just window dressing to placate the fans?

OK, say he's tagged and plays one more year. We're not a Super Bowl contender so what are you building toward with that approach? Is it just window dressing to placate the fans?

its not creating holes for the sake of having to fill them again, at the very least. even if we dont want to give him his long term asking price because we dont feel its the right value for our systems and the place to invest (or hes actually crazy in his demands) atleast we get 1 year at an affordable rate and absolutely no long term risk. as a worst case scenario, i take that over letting him walk out the door in march as the possible alternative.