Disapointed with Marrone

The fact that he blames players for the terrible special team performance is super disapointing to me. Those more or less same guys were ranked 6th last year. I appreciate friendship but it should not come in the way of work performance. There is no question we need a better special team coach.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone is full of B.S.

We know that now.

I posted a thread earlier in week showing ST play ranked 8th overall last season, and 30th this season.

So much for accountability from Marrone. it's just not there.

The fact that he blames players for the terrible special team performance is super disapointing to me. Those more or less same guys were ranked 6th last year. I appreciate friendship but it should not come in the way of work performance. There is no question we need a better special team coach.

Crossman is a proven failure. When you consistently produce terrible results as a special teams coach....then you are a terrible special teams coach.

IMO his failures weren't subjective. Example: In the NE game he kicks a bunny to Blount.......gets scorched.......then does it AGAIN and gets scorched. That is either being stupid or just mailing it in. It's pouring rain.......you are climbing back into the game.....kick a bounding ball and make them field it.

Why on earth can't a professional special teams coach see the upside in making them field a bouncing wet football in that situation? :wallbash:

Play to win the game.

To your point about Marrone blaming the players......I agree with you.......obviously the players didn't make plays the same way as the D didn't make plays in run defense and the O didn't pass the ball well this year..........but when your coach is putting the OPPOSITION in the best situation to succeed that is going to have an effect on a unit that is all about effort.

Marrone can turn over the special teams players all he wants but if Crossman keeps coaching poorly the results aren't going to merit the investment that will be needed to be made.

Marrone is full of B.S.

We know that now.

I posted a thread earlier in week showing ST play ranked 8th overall last season, and 30th this season.

So much for accountability from Marrone. it's just not there.

So 2 more years of Marrone and we start over? Have to feel bad for the quality players that waist their career here

you are off your rocker! 1/2 1/2 blame in my oppinion. When the players cant tackle or block on every play than the issue is not just the coach.

The secret is making terrible threads complaining about things that have been discussed ad nauseam for weeks now.

You're doing great

You seem to just be insulting yourself here.

Crossman is a proven failure. When you consistently produce terrible results as a special teams coach....then you are a terrible special teams coach.

IMO his failures weren't subjective. Example: In the NE game he kicks a bunny to Blount.......gets scorched.......then does it AGAIN and gets scorched. That is either being stupid or just mailing it in. It's pouring rain.......you are climbing back into the game.....kick a bounding ball and make them field it.

Why on earth can't a professional special teams coach see the upside in making them field a bouncing wet football in that situation? :wallbash:

Play to win the game.

To your point about Marrone blaming the players......I agree with you.......obviously the players didn't make plays the same way as the D didn't make plays in run defense and the O didn't pass the ball well this year..........but when your coach is putting the OPPOSITION in the best situation to succeed that is going to have an effect on a unit that is all about effort.

Marrone can turn over the special teams players all he wants but if Crossman keeps coaching poorly the results aren't going to merit the investment that will be needed to be made.

From the O line, to the backup QB situation, to the ST coach, to letting Rodgers go while keeping Hogan, the OC always putting the game on the rookie QB's shoulders.

I have to say that when the OC Hackett stated he would run Spiller until he threw up, I was enthralled. I didn't realize it would be running straight up the middle over and over until I threw up.

When I read Marrone was "hands on" with the O line players I didn't realize that Andy Levitre's replacement & backup would grade as the very worst players in the NFL after 6 games, and then get cut.

I didn't ever think I'd see a 250 lb RB gash the Bills for 147 yards on two kick offs. The new Bills punter set records for stupidity against Cleveland "The Bills announced they released the punter after a disastrous game in which he allowed Cleveland Brown return man Travis Benjamin (who?) to set a single-game franchise record with 179 yards (good enough for 6th all time).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000255310/article/shawn-powell-cut-after-disastrous-buffalo-bills-game

So yea, I'd say I'm disappointed with this new HC, and his OC, and his ST coach.

Should Bills fans casually dismiss this HC of his accountability for his errors like most did with Chan Gailey in his first year?

I agree, accountability starts with the ability to look at yourself in the mirror else it has no meaning.

I agree, accountability starts with the ability to look at yourself in the mirror else it has no meaning.

How many times does a coach need to say at the press conference.

" it starts with me. " for folks to get that he knows that.

Its basic math for even the most obtuse.

Just because a coach has a plan a clear vision and the strength to execute , does not mean adversity of all sorts may strike.

Is it possible some folks are shallow minded a tinch round here ?

Edited by 3rdand12

How many times does a coach need to say at the press conference.

" it starts with me. " for folks to get that he knows that.

Its basic math for even the most obtuse.

Just because a coach has a plan a clear vision and the strength to execute , does not mean adversity of all sorts may strike.

Is it possible some folks are shallow minded a tinch round here ?

Obvioulsy, the point in this thread is that action was warranted on Danny Crossman.

Directing all criticism to yourself is the first rule of management.........but holding your personnel/staff accountable for their failure is the fulfillment of that promise.

I am still not sure Crossman is completely safe. It's hard to believe that his performance was acceptable to Doug Whaley.

I don't think Crossman will be fired outright but when the coaches gather at the Senior Bowl maybe Marrone hires a new ST coach and Crossman gets demoted.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Obvioulsy, the point in this thread is that action was warranted on Danny Crossman.

Directing all criticism to yourself is the first rule of management.........but holding your personnel/staff accountable for their failure is the fulfillment of that promise.

I am still not sure Crossman is completely safe. It's hard to believe that his performance was acceptable to Doug Whaley.

I don't think Crossman will be fired outright but when the coaches gather at the Senior Bowl maybe Marrone hires a new ST coach and Crossman gets demoted.

We can only hope that Marrone can recover or develop the Special teams . This season was unacceptable .

I have my eyes out for a coach to come free and Whaley/Nix whomever to pounce. Upgrade at any position right ?

Marrone should do better to berate members of his coaching staff during press conferences. Very professional thing to do.

If criticism made Crossman better it would have happened at his numerous other failed stops around the NFL.

I thought I was laying the sarcasm down pretty thick here. Meter broken? Haha

If some of you are sick and tired of 'Marrone' threads why in the world would you even bother coming into a thread titled 'Disappointed with Marrone'. Didnt the title clue you in to the fact that this was a thread complaining about Marrone? Or is it just so much fun to chastise someone for having an opinion? Regardless of how common that opinion might be.

If some of you are sick and tired of 'Marrone' threads why in the world would you even bother coming into a thread titled 'Disappointed with Marrone'. Didnt the title clue you in to the fact that this was a thread complaining about Marrone? Or is it just so much fun to chastise someone for having an opinion? Regardless of how common that opinion might be.

Yes and Yes

I just feel a new thread is unnecessary when there are already numerous other Marrone threads which all eventually turn into Marrone sucks threads.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Couldn't of said it any better, but I guess Maroone forgot to check last season stats or rankings of our ST. I instead he wanted to bail out his friend by blaming st play on his players. Last time I checked Leodis averaged nearly 20yds a punt return in 2012..

2013 he averaged nearly 5yds. That's a 75 percent decrease. SAME PLAYER DIFFERENT RESULTS

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

I thought I was laying the sarcasm down pretty thick here. Meter broken? Haha

I know you were being sarcastic but it sounded as though you were defending Marrone PTR or C.Biscuit style by absurdly attempting to blur the line between the presentation and the message.

There is never any reason for a HC to berate one of his coaches in a PC.

Deflecting criticism to the players is the exact opposite of that......it's defending the coaching.

Couldn't of said it any better, but I guess Maroone forgot to check last season stats or rankings of our ST. I instead he wanted to bail out his friend by blaming st play on his players. Last time I checked Leodis averaged nearly 20yds a punt return in 2012..

2013 he averaged nearly 5yds. That's a 75 percent decrease. SAME PLAYER DIFFERENT RESULTS

Right, I'd bet 3/4 of the players on ST are the same guys from last year.

Marrone didn't even bother to think that one through, just automatically blamed the players protecting his pal.

How can you replace the coach if the problem is the players??? B-)

From the O line, to the backup QB situation, to the ST coach, to letting Rodgers go while keeping Hogan, the OC always putting the game on the rookie QB's shoulders.

I have to say that when the OC Hackett stated he would run Spiller until he threw up, I was enthralled. I didn't realize it would be running straight up the middle over and over until I threw up.

When I read Marrone was "hands on" with the O line players I didn't realize that Andy Levitre's replacement & backup would grade as the very worst players in the NFL after 6 games, and then get cut.

I didn't ever think I'd see a 250 lb RB gash the Bills for 147 yards on two kick offs. The new Bills punter set records for stupidity against Cleveland "The Bills announced they released the punter after a disastrous game in which he allowed Cleveland Brown return man Travis Benjamin (who?) to set a single-game franchise record with 179 yards (good enough for 6th all time).

http://www.nfl.com/n...falo-bills-game

So yea, I'd say I'm disappointed with this new HC, and his OC, and his ST coach.

Should Bills fans casually dismiss this HC of his accountability for his errors like most did with Chan Gailey in his first year?

well thought out thread. Most argue for keeping Marrone, but have nothing to back that up with. Where was he successful in the NFL? (don't say the Saints, that's Peyton and Brees' doing.) I'd can Marrone now and promote Pettine, or pursue Rob Ryan.

wha? 75 percent of special teamers were back this year?

that's unpossible.

a glimpse at the list of special team tackles alone is enough to indicate there wasn't a 75 percent return rate.

Chris Hogan, Evan Rodriguez, Brandon Burton, Marcus Downtin, Jim Leonhard, Ty Powell, Jamaal Westerman, Duke Williams, Jerry Hughes and Ron Woods never played one snap for Buffalo last season.

and that doesn't include Easley, who appeared in only three games last season, Ron Brooks, who missed the first seven games last season.

nor does it include Dan Carpenter and Brian Moorman.

quit passing off silly numbers that do nothing to further whatever case you're trying to make, never mind hurting it.

geez. do some research.

jw

and of the 85 players that were listed as being on the Bills roster last season (including practice squaders), there were only 28 who played at least one snap last year and one this year. they couldn't have all been special teamers, right?

Edited by john wawrow

that's unpossible.

a glimpse at the list of special team tackles alone is enough to indicate there wasn't a 75 percent return rate.

Chris Hogan, Evan Rodriguez, Brandon Burton, Marcus Downtin, Jim Leonhard, Ty Powell, Jamaal Westerman, Duke Williams, Jerry Hughes and Ron Woods never played one snap for Buffalo last season.

and that doesn't include Easley, who appeared in only three games last season, Ron Brooks, who missed the first seven games last season.

quit passing off silly numbers that do nothing to further whatever case you're trying to make, never mind hurting it.

geez. do some research.

jw

and of the 85 players that were listed as being on the Bills roster last season (including practice squaders), there were only 28 who played at least one snap last year and one this year. they couldn't have all been special teamers, right?

Do you have any insight into this from OBD? Is it even true that they have already decided not to get rid of Crossman? If so, any concrete reasons why?

that's unpossible.

geez. do some research.

jw

I believe you may have violated the Terms of Service by bringing logic and player research into this thread. There is no place here for that kind of behavior.

Do you have any insight into this from OBD? Is it even true that they have already decided not to get rid of Crossman? If so, any concrete reasons why?

Marrone said it himself: they're still searching for a special teams core of players. this was a transition year for all three units. the belief/hope is that they've set a foundation for next season. making significant changes at this point would only be regarded as a setback in their opinion.

jw

I believe you may have violated the Terms of Service by bringing logic and player research into this thread. There is no place here for that kind of behavior.

sorry. my bad. 0:)

I know you were being sarcastic but it sounded as though you were defending Marrone PTR or C.Biscuit style by absurdly attempting to blur the line between the presentation and the message.

There is never any reason for a HC to berate one of his coaches in a PC.

Deflecting criticism to the players is the exact opposite of that......it's defending the coaching.

Your obsession with me is both flattering & super creepy.

That said, both Marrone & EJ were given a year. That's enough time to turn things around. Same with Whaley. Fire everyone & keep starting over until you get it right. That's what good teams do!

Marrone said it himself: they're still searching for a special teams core of players. this was a transition year for all three units. the belief/hope is that they've set a foundation for next season. making significant changes at this point would only be regarded as a setback in their opinion.

jw

I was hoping that he may have told you something different outside of the press conference. Something like "Obviously, I'm gonna fire Crossman, but I just want to cash in on the free dinner he promised me for hiring him first. Obviously."

that's unpossible.

geez. do some research.

jw

BTW, John.

My specific objection to Marrone's year-end explanation of the special teams play was not that he blamed the players or that he was inaccurate about not having a core of special teamers.

My objection is that he is the one who assembled the roster.

My immediate thought when I heard his excuse was "how long does it take to assemble a core of special teamers?"

I also mentally rewound through the Bills career of of Corey McIntyre who was a premier special teamer and I wondered why Marrone chose to let him go when fullback has remained an afterthought in his offense.

Chris White was also an outstanding special teams player who the team traded away because they didn't properly address the QB situation.

As I stated when Crossman was hired, the success or failure of special teams is often dictated by the head coach in terms of how many starters he allows to play them, how much oversight he exercises, and how much practice time he allots.

Any way you cut it up, Crossman's failure is Marrone's failure.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Your obsession with me is both flattering & super creepy.

That said, both Marrone & EJ were given a year. That's enough time to turn things around. Same with Whaley. Fire everyone & keep starting over until you get it right. That's what good teams do!

Oh I'm just re-paying you for those Jauron years when you attacked anyone who questioned why Jauron was there in the first place.

And I mean really attacked. It was nasty and usually unwarranted and way over the top.

You have improved significantly by that humbling.....arguably the most incorrect take in the history of TSW/Hyperbills.......but I didn't think it was right to let you off the hook because of how nasty you were to a lot of people who had no quarrel with you..... so I haven't.

When the organization, a coach or a player performs badly......this is a forum for it to be discussed.

As for your exaggeration about fans wanting to dump EJ, and fire Marrone and Whaley.........that obviously isn't the case. It was an inauspicious debut for the new regime, it counts on their record and they have areas where they have to improve....whether it's EJ's quarterbacking, Marrone's gameday struggles or the personnel department making better judgements than signing a pariah like Kevin Kolb or not properly addressing a significant loss on the OL. These all count on their permanent record. This team has talent, there wasn't an excuse for being out of contention in mid-November.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ