Johnny Football vs. Duke (Possible draftees)

BringBackFergy

I enjoy your prospect takes one way or the other. People just love to pile on here and it can get ugly. You are a very good sport about it.

IMO, there are bad snap-shot takes......and then there are people who defend Dick Jauron in his 6th losing season in 7 years. :doh:

And you were on Tannehill when he was a literal afterthought....and frankly playing like crap at Texas A&M...and he ended up going early first round so that take deserves kudos.

Thank you.

I thought he played pretty good at A&M, which is why I liked him. It is interesting how we all can watch the same thing but come to different conclusions, keeps life interesting I guess.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know guys say Manziel isn't great because all he does is throw it up for Evans and he goes up to get it....BUT he has made some very accurate long throws in this game. Impressive.

IMHO He's been impressive for two years...I know we had a conversation here after his Bowl game last year and I was VERY impressed with his accuracy in that game...And that was no where near one of his better games last season...I think this year was more of the same with Johnny Football...Personally I think the biggest issue with him in the NFL will be reigning him in a bit concerning when he takes off to run...He's not a big kid and NFL Defenders can be absolute monsters...If I was the team that Drafted him I would install an Offense similar to Seattle's because all along I've felt that the QB Manziel reminds me of most is Russell Wilson...

I've always liked Manziel's chances...But I think his success will depend on where he goes, and how effective that team is in finding an Offense that matches his skills, while keeping him from getting killed at the same time... B-)

IMHO He's been impressive for two years...I know we had a conversation here after his Bowl game last year and I was VERY impressed with his accuracy in that game...And that was no where near one of his better games last season...I think this year was more of the same with Johnny Football...Personally I think the biggest issue with him in the NFL will be reigning him in a bit concerning when he takes off to run...He's not a big kid and NFL Defenders can be absolute monsters...If I was the team that Drafted him I would install an Offense similar to Seattle's because all along I've felt that the QB Manziel reminds me of most is Russell Wilson...

I've always liked Manziel's chances...But I think his success will depend on where he goes, and how effective that team is in finding an Offense that matches his skills, while keeping him from getting killed at the same time... B-)

Seattle runs a lot and does some read option and we do to, I think he would be perfect here.

Seattle runs a lot and does some read option and we do to, I think he would be perfect here.

I would say the chances of the Bills Drafting any QB, Manziel included are slim and none...And Slim has left town...

That being said I would not be unhappy if they did Draft him...I just don't think there is a chance in hell it's going to happen...

And I still like EJ...It's just that...The way this league is now I would not blame any team for trying to strike gold at the QB position...Even if it's in consecutive years...QB is King... B-)

I would say the chances of the Bills Drafting any QB, Manziel included are slim and none...And Slim has left town...

That being said I would not be unhappy if they did Draft him...I just don't think there is a chance in hell it's going to happen...

And I still like EJ...It's just that...The way this league is now I would not blame any team for trying to strike gold at the QB position...Even if it's in consecutive years...QB is King... B-)

The thing is, if Johnny Football is not able to translate his stardom from the college ranks to the pros, he still may make a terrific backup QB that teams wouldnt really be able to prepare for, or one that could win you a few games when the starter is down.

Think of what this year would have been like if he was on the Bills the three times EJ got hurt? I have strong doubts he will be a long time star starter in the NFL although it could happen. But he could be a long time player.

The thing is, if Johnny Football is not able to translate his stardom from the college ranks to the pros, he still may make a terrific backup QB that teams wouldnt really be able to prepare for, or one that could win you a few games when the starter is down.

Think of what this year would have been like if he was on the Bills the three times EJ got hurt? I have strong doubts he will be a long time star starter in the NFL although it could happen. But he could be a long time player.

Plenty of QBs can spot start and win, very few of them would accept being a spot winner and a back up.

Plenty of QBs can spot start and win, very few of them would accept being a spot winner and a back up.

Especially this kid...

He's been anointed...He's VERY confident...And if you're going to Draft him, be ready for Tebow-like attention...He's a celebrity...He will put tremendous pressure on the starter if he's the back-up...But that's not necessarily a bad thing... B-)

Especially this kid...

He's been anointed...He's VERY confident...And if you're going to Draft him, be ready for Tebow-like attention...He's a celebrity...He will put tremendous pressure on the starter if he's the back-up...But that's not necessarily a bad thing... B-)

No problem. We can just hire Flutie to be his adviser and confidante on how to handle it and be a good teammate.

I doubt Manziel will still be available at 9 (too many QB starved teams ahead of us) but if he is, I believe passing on him would be a decision the team will regret for a long time. I would be shocked if Jacksonville, which needs a QB almost as badly as it needs to sell tickets, passes on him.

Edited by mannc

You are probably the worst QB evaluator I have come across so I hope you are wrong.

No you just got focused on the bad one.

I like Kaepernick, Luck, Tannehill.

I liked Landry Jones and some others lat year but got off their band wagons bc they just weren't good enough, which was a good decision.

I also made the mistake of listening to TV "experts" and jumped on the Gabbert bandwagon even though I saw only two games. After that experience I decided to pick QBs I saw and liked and have done pretty good. Can't get em all right.

This year I picked Manziel and Blake Bortles, I like my odds.

I doubt Manziel will still be available at 9 (too many QB starved teams ahead of us)

Seeing as though I fully believe the Bills will pass on him if he does fall to #9...I REALLY hope you're right...The last thing this team needs is another coulda, woulda, or shoulda concerning the QB position... B-)

I doubt Manziel will still be available at 9 (too many QB starved teams ahead of us) but if he is, I believe passing on him would be a decision the team will regret for a long time. I would be shocked if Jacksonville, which needs a QB almost as badly as it needs to sell tickets, passes on him.

Yeah it seems like the natural thing for Jacksonville to do, so they'll do the opposite.

Based on what I watched last night, Manziel can win against a quality opponent without heaving the ball to a 6'5" WR. He threaded several quality balls to various receivers. I think the "one trick pony" myth was somewhat debunked.

Props to Duke and Boone.....they played hard and have nothing to be ashamed of (unlike Miami fans :) )

If I'm Bill O'Brien, I would have to consider Johnny Football at #1. If guys like Flutie, Tarkenton, and Staubach can do it. He can too!!

Flutist isn't a very good example. He didn't exactly do much in the NFL.

Just watching Manziel on the sidelines taking charge is the kind of leadership this team hasn't had since Kelly and is what we need from the QB position along with his talent. If we have chance to get him and don't shame on the FO.

I was thinking just the opposite - that NFL players might grow tired of that very quickly and tell him to STFU. There were players on his own team that seemed annoyed with that "leadership" - of course I don't really know what they thought of that...

Cleveland is going to take Johnny at #8!

The Rams want to deal the #2 pick and I'm betting they'll leverage the need for a QB by many of the teams in the top ten to get extra picks just like they did with Washington. Cleveland has Indy's 1st round pick as a result of the Trent Richardson deal so they have some ammunition.

Cleveland is going to take Johnny at #8!

Not unless they trade down. They currently draft 4th.

The Rams want to deal the #2 pick and I'm betting they'll leverage the need for a QB by many of the teams in the top ten to get extra picks just like they did with Washington. Cleveland has Indy's 1st round pick as a result of the Trent Richardson deal so they have some ammunition.

I don't see a huge market for the number 2 pick like there was in 2012. RG3 was widely considered a can't miss prospect, just a shade behind Luck. I don't think there will be anyone like that this year, even though I personally think Manziel is a better prospect than RG3. There are a lot of skeptics who will go out of their way to find flaws in his game.

Jax needed a QB and passed on Tebow. Look how badly that turned out for them. That said, Manziel will be a great pro. There are those that don't want to see it because of the off-field non-sense. If EJ had half of his moxie on the field he would be the next Cam.

Let's look at it in one fans view[mine who else matters?] If the Bills somehow got Manziel and absolutely guaranteed his starting in the home opener, I would buy the best seat in the house, fly the 3500 miles to OP and be in my seat a hour early. The anticipation and excitement level would be sky high.

But that's not what's going to happen. EJ is going to start so I doubt if I will even turn on the TV, In fact I know I wont because that time of year is the peak of the silver salmon runs.

Let's look at it in one fans view[mine who else matters?] If the Bills somehow got Manziel and absolutely guaranteed his starting in the home opener, I would buy the best seat in the house, fly the 3500 miles to OP and be in my seat a hour early. The anticipation and excitement level would be sky high.

But that's not what's going to happen. EJ is going to start so I doubt if I will even turn on the TV, In fact I know I wont because that time of year is the peak of the silver salmon runs.

Bingo! - I posted this in another thread:

My feelings on the matter aside, X's and O's aside, and back to the business end of this:

Would he sell seats?

Would the league and the networks be compelled to show more Bills games to a wider audience?

Would he sell merch?

Would he be a marketable personna for the team? the league?

Would the franchise become more valuable as a result?

Finally, does the Bill's FO have an appreciation/affinity for the marketing side of the business? ;)

If his skills translate to the pros, an entire new generation of fans of that team would be instantly created….talk about expanding the target market.

Interesting take. An accurate one too. As someone mentioned earlier, QB is king. I believe you need to keep going to the well until you get it right. If the Bills, like many here, do not believe EJ can get you to the next level, then you'd damn well better get someone you think can. This team is a few pieces from being relevant and QB is one of those pieces.

Unless Manziel shows up at the combine smoking a joint and carrying a bottle of Jack in his hand, I don't see him being available at 9.

Sorry, I was wrong. Manziel just might show up at the combine smoking a joint and carrying a bottle of Jack and he still won't be there at 9.

Bingo! - I posted this in another thread:

My feelings on the matter aside, X's and O's aside, and back to the business end of this:

Would he sell seats?

Would the league and the networks be compelled to show more Bills games to a wider audience?

Would he sell merch?

Would he be a marketable personna for the team? the league?

Would the franchise become more valuable as a result?

Finally, does the Bill's FO have an appreciation/affinity for the marketing side of the business? ;)

If his skills translate to the pros, an entire new generation of fans of that team would be instantly created….talk about expanding the target market.

But the question is how do we get him? I would be OK with pulling a Redskins deal and trading away a bushel of draft picks.

But the question is how do we get him? I would be OK with pulling a Redskins deal and trading away a bushel of draft picks.

We're not that type of organization, unfortunately. I have hope - the trade-down last year was a great move. I think that the reality is if we draft a QB, it will be a diamond in the rough, late-round type or even a UDFA. Not sure how the FO feels about our talent level at the position - but they are most-likely married to EJ for better or worse at least another season. Im terrified that the scrambling QB we bring in is going to be Michael Vick.

That said, I hope JM goes to our suffering soul-brothers in Cleveland and gives them a superstar to forget about that sh-thead LeBron.

We're not that type of organization, unfortunately. I have hope - the trade-down last year was a great move. I think that the reality is if we draft a QB, it will be a diamond in the rough, late-round type or even a UDFA. Not sure how the FO feels about our talent level at the position - but they are most-likely married to EJ for better or worse at least another season. Im terrified that the scrambling QB we bring in is going to be Michael Vick.

That said, I hope JM goes to our suffering soul-brothers in Cleveland and gives them a superstar to forget about that sh-thead LeBron.

Not sure JM is in the Vick mold. I think he he looks to throw first, run second.

Cleveland? Who cares? I wish Buffalo even had a basketball team much less whine about losing a player..

Quite the gamble for a guy whose own father doesn't like golfing with because of his inability to handle adversity without breaking clubs and causing scenes on the course, several alcohol related incidents, and of course a style of play that may not transfer to the nfl.

Quite the gamble for a guy whose own father doesn't like golfing with because of his inability to handle adversity without breaking clubs and causing scenes on the course, several alcohol related incidents, and of course a style of play that may not transfer to the nfl.

Yeah when have the Bills ever had success with a cocky, hothead QB?

Edited by FireChan

You are delusional, besides the LSU game he dominated SEC defenses :wacko:

I agree. For him to break Cam Newton's SEC records as a freshman was truly spectacular. He did very well against the best competition in the country for two seasons.

GO BILLS!!!

What part of his game on display yesterday would not transfer to the NFL?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.