Bills quietly move up to #7 overall defense in NFL

BobChalmers

........with the ability to run or stop the run seperating champions from playoff teams.

That is not the case anymore.

Recent SB winners rushing stats(outside top 16)

2012 Ravens: 20th yards D

2011 Giants: 32nd yards O, 32nd ypa O, 19th yards D, 23rd ypa D

2010 Packers: 24th yards O, 27th ypa O, 18th yards D, 31st ypa D

2009 Saints: 21st yards D, 26th ypa D

2008 Steelers: 23rd yards O, 29th ypa O

2006 colts: 18th yards O, 17th ypa O, 32nd yards D, 32nd ypa D

2004 Patriots: 17th ypa O

2003 Patriots: 27th yards O, 30th ypa O

2002 Bucs: 27th yards O, 27th ypa O

2001 Patriots: 24th ypa O, 19th yards D, 21st ypa D

In perspective.....

For the last 12 SB winners there was 25 rushing stat categories in the bottom half of the league.....with 11 being in bottom 5.

For the previous 12 years of SB winners there were only 5 rushing stat categories in the bottom half of the league......with only 1 being in the bottom 13(20th or worse).

Edited by Dibs

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know the sacks and the interceptions has been great on defense but it's the rush defense that's been suspect all year.

I'd say that down in, down out the rush defense has been very good. The team has given up too many big plays, and that's what we remember. Fix the over pursuit and containment and they'll be fine. I don't think a makeover is needed, just add to the LBs and hope that Gilmore plays well.

I'd say that down in, down out the rush defense has been very good. The team has given up too many big plays, and that's what we remember. Fix the over pursuit and containment and they'll be fine. I don't think a makeover is needed, just add to the LBs and hope that Gilmore plays well.

Exactly...It's was the chunk plays that killed them vs the run this year...Overall they were actually pretty solid...Part of that is Pettine's scheme which we all know is high risk/high reward at times...And the fact that this is the 1st year in the system...The Bills, on paper at least, have very decent talent on Defense...If they stay healthy, with another year under Pettine, the hope will be they eliminate the big mistakes...Doing that alone will make them a top 5 Defense in the NFL...Because they are going to get to the QB with that front and Pettine's coaching...I think at this point that is a given... B-)

Hard to believe - or maybe it isn't - but with one game to go, they've become a top 10 defense!

#7 overall allowing 330.1 yds/gm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/stats/totals.html

If they clean up some of the blunders and the offense can do a little better job managing the clock next season this is a top 5 and maybe a top 3 defense.

Yep, and if Gilmore returns to form and they do sign Byrd the back half of the defense could be very scary come next season. Keep in mind, Robey should also be that much better with a full season behind him.

When the starters are all healthy, there is no doubt that this defense is exceptionally good. I feel this defense is strong enough right now to take a team to a championship. Unfortunately, you also need good play from the offense and special teams too.

I hope this defense gets even better next year, but there are so many variables to deal with year to year, especially injuries, that you never know. I hope like hell that they find a way to upgrade this offense (two steps forward) going into next season. Then we will have a truly enjoyable season with an exciting playoff game or two or?

Yes - it really was #8 not #7 - maybe I am predicting good things for Sunday! :rolleyes:

I think the sack count and INT's are especially impressive given how weak the offense has been and the overall record - teams have not been forced to pass by the scoreboard.

It IS a passing league, so the pass defense is rightly more important than the run defense, much as that goes against the grain of us old-timers.

I'm not all that surprised in one sense - they have steadily improved over the year - partially from getting healthy, but also for learning the new system. They could well be utterly dominant next year. Here's hoping!!

Buffalo spent 3 out of their 1st 4 picks on offense in 2013, and are likely to draft offense heavily again in 2014. I have confidence that the offense will only continue to improve. I really believe (for once in a long time) this team is headed in the right direction.

yea and all of them at positions that normally take 2-3 years to adjust fully to the NFL play....hoping next year they show vast improvement in both play and staying healthy

#7 D, #2 rushing team in NFL, #1 sacks, #2 interceptions- looking at that, I would think we would be in playoffs

I agree. We didn't make enough big plays and gave up too many big plays over the season

Not to mention, we seem to have been very injury free for the year compared to other teams

2. Another problem? The Bills are 15th in the league in PPG at 23.6. http://sportsillustr...S_PER_GAME.htmlNot bad, but not good enough. Especially with our sacks/INTs. Teams like the Ravens and Dolphins are ahead, and that's why one of them will be in the playoffs. The Pats are tied with the Ravens...which is why we didn't win the Division this year. They held teams closer to the magic 20 point line than we did.

Bills 15th in pts allowed and 23rd in pts scored- the only stats that really matter

2. Another problem? The Bills are 15th in the league in PPG at 23.6. http://sportsillustr...S_PER_GAME.htmlNot bad, but not good enough. Especially with our sacks/INTs. Teams like the Ravens and Dolphins are ahead, and that's why one of them will be in the playoffs. The Pats are tied with the Ravens...which is why we didn't win the Division this year. They held teams closer to the magic 20 point line than we did.

Bills 15th in pts allowed and 23rd in pts scored- the only stats that really matter

Agreed, but I would argue that the reason they fare poorly by those criteria is because of the offense consistently putting them in poor field position and the long stretches of games when they were a "Three and Out" machine. What I saw was a very good defense that was frequently worn out from having to be on the field too long and defending a short field. Again, it all goes back to QB; with competent to slightly above average QB play, the Bills would probably be getting ready for the playoffs. Sadly, it far from clear that things will be any different next year.

Do you know what a top ten defense is Buffalo? 6 wins. 9 losses. They need to stop the run and get better QB play. Period.

Let's not do this year end thing where we cherry pick stats to make the Bills look better than they are. They may be better….next year.

Hard to believe - or maybe it isn't - but with one game to go, they've become a top 10 defense!

#7 overall allowing 330.1 yds/gm

http://sportsillustr...ats/totals.html

What is their ranking on # of points allowed.. That is the best indicator of this defense, especially when it has to help an offense bringing in a oft-injured rookie QB

Do you know what a top ten defense is Buffalo? 6 wins. 9 losses. They need to stop the run and get better QB play. Period.

Let's not do this year end thing where we cherry pick stats to make the Bills look better than they are. They may be better….next year.

Yeah, let's not get crazy and celebrate progress folks. After all, we all know that the only metric for improvement is wins/losses. Now everyone go crawl back into your holes.

Me too.

Alas, still #23 against the run, and although #1 in rushing attempts with 511 attempts, the Bills still can't control the LoS or clock by running the ball.

The failure to find an adequate replacement for the LG position really came back to bite them in the A$$.

This nails it. Some studs on the OL might fix that. Might even fix CJ.

One thing does stand out in this league. You can't keep up with a lot of teams unless you get your passing numbers up. Again, perhaps some help on the OL can help. I sure hope our young QBs can stay healthy enough next year to get the reps they need too. Pretty optimistic things are starting to come around.

Edited by Rockinon

You can't post positive statistics! It goes against the recent narrative.

A lot of improvement for one year..

Now to get Ej some Oline and weapons.

High hopes for the future ;)

Whoa! Postive Bills stats, AND expressing a thought that EJ Manuel isn't a total draft bust, in the same thread?!?!? Are we sure this is allowed?