Bills quietly move up to #7 overall defense in NFL

BobChalmers

Yes - it really was #8 not #7 - maybe I am predicting good things for Sunday! :rolleyes:

I think the sack count and INT's are especially impressive given how weak the offense has been and the overall record - teams have not been forced to pass by the scoreboard.

It IS a passing league, so the pass defense is rightly more important than the run defense, much as that goes against the grain of us old-timers.

I'm not all that surprised in one sense - they have steadily improved over the year - partially from getting healthy, but also for learning the new system. They could well be utterly dominant next year. Here's hoping!!

its easy to miss with the way they attempt to show it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to believe - or maybe it isn't - but with one game to go, they've become a top 10 defense!

#7 overall allowing 330.1 yds/gm

http://sportsillustr...ats/totals.html

Just shows how ydg based rankings can be skewed by one really good/poor game. I'd say the Bills look like a decent to good defense to me, not an elite unit. They still gave up too many big plays/ 3rd downs this season overall.

Just shows how ydg based rankings can be skewed by one really good/poor game. I'd say the Bills look like a decent to good defense to me, not an elite unit. They still gave up too many big plays/ 3rd downs this season overall.

yes but NOT JUST for the Bills....NFL rankings are bit of a joke. Chiefs record and stats are a product of a tremendously weak schedule period

A little thing you left out was 29th in passing, and we're in a passing league. Very frustrating as I'm sure you. We need to work on this passing unit, and we will be in the playoffs. I'm praying Whaley does the right thing and finds a reasonable solution for Byrd. He's played very well since his return.

If EJ spends night and day working in the off-season with a QB coach, then we'll see how he does next year. We need a better back up. I like Thad more than some, but want a veteran who can come in and perform mid game.

Byrd is a game changer...its a lot easier to save the few million a year somewhere else and pay him versus trying to find someone else that leads the NFL in interceptions since 2009...

I'd say that down in, down out the rush defense has been very good. The team has given up too many big plays, and that's what we remember. Fix the over pursuit and containment and they'll be fine. I don't think a makeover is needed, just add to the LBs and hope that Gilmore plays well.

exactly sir. excactly

Do you know what a top ten defense is Buffalo? 6 wins. 9 losses. They need to stop the run and get better QB play. Period.

Let's not do this year end thing where we cherry pick stats to make the Bills look better than they are. They may be better….next year.

forget the stats. Defense have been gaining on it strongly in the second half of the season. some say recovered injuries i think its more Pettine and the players mind melding honestly.

The team is starting to execute well and is very strong on the defense

What is their ranking on # of points allowed.. That is the best indicator of this defense, especially when it has to help an offense bringing in a oft-injured rookie QB

This also has gotten much better with the second half of the season i think.

#7 D, #2 rushing team in NFL, #1 sacks, #2 interceptions- looking at that, I would think we would be in playoffs

Until you have a top 10 QB, you ain't goin' anywhere other than to have pretty stats ….. give me a top 10 defense, no QB and a buck and I'll give you a cup of coffee,… but next year is another year… go bills

Pettine's style will always give up big plays… watch how much more careful he will be with Brady…