Geno v. EJ... part 2

cage

I know it's way, way too early to predict anything about Geno's future as a QB, but what I saw Sunday was a QB not playing with free reign. He was playing like he was AFRAID to phuck up. No football player, ESPECIALLY a QB, can play with that kind of mentality. All his problems are in his head at the moment and, unlike mechanical issues or gaining a better understanding of opposing defenses, there isn't much any coach can do.

Geno needs to snowball some success on the field and soon.

GO BILLS!!!

You mean like how EJ played against the Steelers!!!! Yikes

As they say a great defense is the best friend to a rookie QB. Wilson had that privilege when he had a kick A.. defense playing lights out last season. It allowed him to not shoulder the team and develop behind a *great* offensive line that also produced an excellent running game.

For the Bills EJ Manuel to succeed, our defense NEEDS to stop giving up so many points. One of the worst thing that happened last game: THREE Rushing TDs....They had given up only 4 Rushing TDs the whole season (or something ridiculous like that). That was just unacceptable.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see EJ looking any better on that Jets offense than Smith does. Perhaps that's how we should frame this discussion.

Skill position wise the Jets are laughably bad. I was shocked when they picked two defensive guys in the first round completely ignoring the fact their best reciever was injured and their second best receiver was Stephen Hill.

That said Geno misses guys by 5 or 10 yards sometimes. Want to know why his INT total is so high? He overthrows, under throws or doesn't throw and gets sacked. Bad skill guys or not, Geno hasn't even given them a chance.

Skill position wise the Jets are laughably bad. I was shocked when they picked two defensive guys in the first round completely ignoring the fact their best reciever was injured and their second best receiver was Stephen Hill.

That said Geno misses guys by 5 or 10 yards sometimes. Want to know why his INT total is so high? He overthrows, under throws or doesn't throw and gets sacked. Bad skill guys or not, Geno hasn't even given them a chance.

Not just the INTs, but Geno's fumbles... the one when he tried to put it behind his back as he was being sacked was unbelievable. I think EJ's been much better protecting the ball, which would be difference if the QBs were swapped.

The Jets have some good talent on offense. The problem is that many of them are injured. But every team has their injuries.

EJ's problem is that he doesn't make players hold onto the football. Damn him!

:lol:

Truthfully it is still too early to tell. I didn't like Geno coming out of WVU and @ the same token I didn't know much about EJ. Geno is playing exactly how I thought he would. He was not really any good under pressure, whether it be the pressure of being down a couple scores in the game or simply getting knocked around in the pocket. I don't expect him to last in this league, I honestly don't. EJ seems to have the right attitude and all of the attributes, but he has to work on his footwork and needs tocontinue to grow. I think we made the right decision if for nothing else than not drafting Geno Smith.

WTF is wrong with some fans. What the hell happened to patience? Three times, EJ has left the field with a lead (NE, Atlanta, and leading the game leading drive in Cleveland) and the team has blew those games. How in the world is that his fault?

The Bills have sucked for the last 14 years, no doubt about it. But let's face it, some of our fans are starting to suck. This is EJ's first year. Quick stat comparison: QB A: 58.1%, 6.68 ypa, 15 tds, 8 Ints, 82.4 QB rating. QB B: 58.2 %, 6.41 ypa, 9 tds, 4 ints, 82.7 QB rating.

QB A is the god QB Andrew Luck's 2nd year stats (playing every game). QB B is EJ Manuel. I have said all along, I don't know if EJ is the answer but to make that statement after 8 games is flat out dumb. and I guarantee the same morons calling for us to draft a QB in the 1st round will be the same morons calling to bench the new guy the first time he struggles.

31 points, was on the verge of leading his 2nd game winning drive in 8 starts and people somehow trash EJ. The internet gives a voice to people who shouldn't have a voice.

Manuel is better the better QB so far, no doubt (funny how that was different after 4 games). But in his defense, a team starting David Nelson at wr is a terrible offense.

Glad someone had the balls to say it.

WTF is wrong with some fans. What the hell happened to patience? Three times, EJ has left the field with a lead (NE, Atlanta, and leading the game leading drive in Cleveland) and the team has blew those games. How in the world is that his fault?

The Bills have sucked for the last 14 years, no doubt about it. But let's face it, some of our fans are starting to suck. This is EJ's first year. Quick stat comparison: QB A: 58.1%, 6.68 ypa, 15 tds, 8 Ints, 82.4 QB rating. QB B: 58.2 %, 6.41 ypa, 9 tds, 4 ints, 82.7 QB rating.

QB A is the god QB Andrew Luck's 2nd year stats (playing every game). QB B is EJ Manuel. I have said all along, I don't know if EJ is the answer but to make that statement after 8 games is flat out dumb. and I guarantee the same morons calling for us to draft a QB in the 1st round will be the same morons calling to bench the new guy the first time he struggles.

31 points, was on the verge of leading his 2nd game winning drive in 8 starts and people somehow trash EJ. The internet gives a voice to people who shouldn't have a voice.

Manuel is better the better QB so far, no doubt (funny how that was different after 4 games). But in his defense, a team starting David Nelson at wr is a terrible offense.

Nope, this is all wrong.

I was told last year that the QB is the only thing that makes a team a winner or a loser!

I am in the "they're both still rookies, let's wait and see" camp....but I did hear an unbelievable statistic on Mike and Mike yesterday. Greenie was angst ridden over his Jets....and he pulled out a statistic which showed, in his terms, how "biblically bad" the Jets offense has been. He said that over the last 40 drives, they are averaging just over 4 plays per drive. Wow. That is bad.

Now, when we were starting to hear rumors about why the Bills picked EJ instead of Geno, we, of course heard about the texting. But if you heard what the people behind the scenes (in Buffalo and around the league) were saying the real problem was that Geno seemed uncoachable....that he was above coaching. He had the most ability at draft time....but the Bills were betting that EJ would be better down the road. If Geno really can't be coached and this is as good as he gets....the Jets are in real trouble.....with EJ, though, I think we have seen enough learning AND enough talent that we have reason to hope.

Well said

Nope, this is all wrong.

I was told last year that the QB is the only thing that makes a team a winner or a loser!

I definitely remember hearing that argument quite a bit too...and that ANY. Qb would be an instant upgrade over fitz

Edited by bobobonators

EJ Manuel gets his chance to stake his claim as top rookie QB of '13 this week in Tampa. Manuel vs Glennon is an interesting matchup that goes back to their days in the ACC.

In case anyone was wondering here is their head to head stats:

EJ record 1-1, win 2011, loss 2012

EJ 42/63 66.7%, 539 yds, 3 tds, 2 ints

Glennon 444/68 64.7%, 451 yds, 2 tds, 3ints

EJ Manuel gets his chance to stake his claim as top rookie QB of '13 this week in Tampa. Manuel vs Glennon is an interesting matchup that goes back to their days in the ACC.

In case anyone was wondering here is their head to head stats:

EJ record 1-1, win 2011, loss 2012

EJ 42/63 66.7%, 539 yds, 3 tds, 2 ints

Glennon 444/68 64.7%, 451 yds, 2 tds, 3ints

Nice. Another interesting aspect this week will be SCHIANO (rutgers) vs MARRONE (syracuse). Add in the talent on both teams and this could definitely be like a big east matchup. Might as well play it on Saturday. Woot!!!

You mean like how EJ played against the Steelers!!!! Yikes

As they say a great defense is the best friend to a rookie QB. Wilson had that privilege when he had a kick A.. defense playing lights out last season. It allowed him to not shoulder the team and develop behind a *great* offensive line that also produced an excellent running game.

For the Bills EJ Manuel to succeed, our defense NEEDS to stop giving up so many points. One of the worst thing that happened last game: THREE Rushing TDs....They had given up only 4 Rushing TDs the whole season (or something ridiculous like that). That was just unacceptable.

Kind of like that, but worse. EJ was able to follow up his Steelers disaster with two decent outings. He took advantage of his opportunity to respond. Geno, on the other hand, has had several bad outings in a row and it seems to be sticking to him and getting worse. If he can't overcome that, his time as a viable starter may be in trouble.

GO BILLS!!!

:lol:

Truthfully it is still too early to tell. I didn't like Geno coming out of WVU and @ the same token I didn't know much about EJ. Geno is playing exactly how I thought he would. He was not really any good under pressure, whether it be the pressure of being down a couple scores in the game or simply getting knocked around in the pocket. I don't expect him to last in this league, I honestly don't. EJ seems to have the right attitude and all of the attributes, but he has to work on his footwork and needs tocontinue to grow. I think we made the right decision if for nothing else than not drafting Geno Smith.

EJ has things to work on, there is no doubt. But he's got everything else you want in a QB and a willingness to improve.

Nope, this is all wrong.

It does make all the difference and if EJ is that guy it will come.

No rookie has ever been good enough to carry a team to being a winner. Not 1. Not Brady, Rogers, Favre, Manning, not RG3 or Wilson. Not Cam, kapernick Flacco.

In all cases they it came on later in their career or there was some other elite part of the team that pulled it through.

Maybe luck, Maybe he might be the one Rookie QB in my entire lifetime that was so good as a Rookie he carried the team to wins.

No one can argue Brady carries the pats on his back, manning made the colts winners all those years... Some could argue Flacco carried an aging and slowing defense to a ring.

The point is if you get a great QB, building a team around it is easy and compensates for a lot of holes. No other position offers that type of impact.

Well said

I definitely remember hearing that argument quite a bit too...and that ANY. Qb would be an instant upgrade over fitz

That was the extreme. I think the prevailing and correct rationale was Fitz looked like he could be a top back up but wasn't going to ever be the type of elite signal caller you bank on for a decade. This of course was less clear early in his tenure but became obvious last season.

I don't see EJ looking any better on that Jets offense than Smith does. Perhaps that's how we should frame this discussion.

Well, we had a decent enough test of that in Week 12 when these 2 QBs squared off against one another. The Bills were minus any sembalnce of a running game, Chandler was essentially a non-factor, and BOTH Stevie and Woods were out. Which QB prevailed?

In all honesty it is going to take some time before we know for sure what is up with these 2. There are some things about Geno that I like, and I do believe that he entered the league as a more polished passer than EJ. I do think he throws a pretty ball -- and his footwork is better than EJ's. That said, I think EJ is miles ahead in the leadership department. I also think that EJ entered the league in a more favorbale situation: better supporting cast, greater continuity (if you can believe that) -- and minus the fishbowl in NYC. Geno made matters worse by running his mouth and complaining about not being drafted in the first round. He definitely has some maturity issues going on. Of course, those are the same things that drove Atlanta to trade away Brett Favre after just one season.

All in all, despite the many issues I have had with the offensive coaching and play calling, I do believe that they have down a commndable job of bringing EJ along. He may have a tendency to check-down too soon, but he does not have that deer-in-the-headlights look or start succomb to pressure in the pocket. His confidence remains en tact. If he can continue to improve his footwork and improve his accuracy, I think he is a keeper. That is, of course, if he can stay healthy.

Edited by 2003Contenders

We're 4-8. EJ may be a better game manager, but we're still not winning football games.

And don't tell me it's not his fault. Everyone said it was Fitz's fault last year, we replaced him and still suck. ;)

Yet EJ is a ROOKIE QB, with a ROOKIE NFL HC Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I still haven't seen the ability to throw long consistently from EJ.....partly because Hackett calls the long ball at the wrong times many times, and not enough. But, EJ has only had a couple of long ball hits.....and a lot of misses. Not quite as bad as Fitz, but in the same league, sad to say. We will give it a little longer....but the FIRST consideration in NFL QB's is the arm....and EJ has yet to convince me on that issue. WRT to Gino.....a real head case....(maybe worse than Losman), but he does have a natuaral arm....and when going good, he can sling it. He just isn't going good...and maybe never will in the NYC pressure cookers. Folks, its easier to be the QB in Buffalo than in NYC, just because of the media generated pressure. We are now into the first four games of the 2014 preseason, and hopefully EJ benefits from his experiences during the remainder of the year.