most improved Bill from last season?

tbonehawaii

Leodis Marcel Aaron top 3

CJ, Stevie, Gilmore regressed

Webster Guy improved his posts in all areas: content, sense of humor, sardonic wit and of course his famously insightful observation that we should have picked Nassib over Duke Williams in the 4th, and that Tampa would win a dozen games this year.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will go unit instead of player because any of the top three mentioned is deserving.

The LB's are 200% better than last year. Lawson may be the best FA signing in the entire league. Still have my worries about Kiko's size but his instincts and tackling ability are truly great. I worry about him going against Gronk but honestly no one wins that match-up. Now that Moats and Hughes have firmly put Bradham on the bench this group can create some havoc both rushing the passer and dropping into coverage. Truly a complete turnaraound from a disaster to a position of strength.

I need to see more from Woods and a healthy SJ to elevate the WR's.

Leodis was the most painful player to watch last year. Sooo close.... but no its another big pass play completed.

I would wince each time honestly. And then the contract was wtf moment.

Leodis mckelvin is having one hell of a turn around. And he is having a lot of fun playing. For those of you who did not watch listen to "miked up" he is laughing the whole time. And i have never seen someone switch hips that many times and stay on top of his guy.

Far and away Leodis has come the longest. from bottom to top.. good post OP.

Go Leo !

honorable mention to A.Willams (who drove me nuts too ) for making the big transition and hitting as hard as a downhill freight train

Edited by 3rdand12

McKelvin, AW, Dareus are my top 3.

I agree. In some games Dareus still looks lost. But against the Jets he looked like a man on a mission. If he can play like that every game teams will have a difficult time with our line.

All of the guys being mentioned are on defense. Coincidence or is it because we now have an amazing defensive coordinator? I don't think the players are any better I think it's just better coaching.

I think a little of both.

Leodis McKelvin. Discuss.

Williams, and it's not close. I still see Leodis making the same mental mistakes, such as running backwards on punt returns, dropping sure INT's etc. Williams has turned into a force out there with physical play that he hadn't shown before. He is better, and far more improved than McKelvin.

Here is my list in order:

AW- was ready to run him out of town based on disastrous corner play. Now he's a beast at safety and has played corner well too.

Mcluvin- thought a nickel at best he's been solid at coverage and sure tackling

Graham- thought he was a bubble player but has been making plays

Moats - also thought him a cut but he's quietly having a solid year inside.

Searcey- bubble depth guy to solid off of the bench contributor.

MD99- sophomore slump was magnified with personal stuff

Easley- ST play maker extraordinaire

Mario- was good, this year even better.

Difficult to rank these players on improvement so I'll just give my thoughts.

McKelvin: What a turnaround for this guy. Always was able to stay with his man, but continued to give up plays. When Gilmore went down in the preseason, many of us were scared that # 21 was the top guy. Then he responded in a big way. Playing man-to-man has helped a lot. He's having fun and he's got a swagger going too. He still gives up a few big plays, but he is having his best season by far.

Dareus: His brother getting murdered last year was far too much for him to overcome, so I gave him a pass. This year he is playing like we expected him to. I like how they rotate him on the line, something that he did a lot of in college. He's getting better and better and I think he will be a mainstay for a long time.

A Williams: Switching him to Safety was the best thing the Bills could have done for this guy. He's become very aggressive in his play and he has made his share of tackles.

Moats: I'm just glad this guy finally has a position to play, and he's quietly doing a good job. For a guy who I thought would be cut before the season started, he's made the most of it.

Searcy: This guy scared me during the preseason. He looked lost and very ineffective. As the season has gone on, he's played better. I still see him as more of a reserve than a starter, but he's doing fine. That INT for a TD against the Jets was a remarkable play.

Now the players that have had the opposite appeal.

Graham: Doing alright, but not enough to convince me that he's more than a deep threat. Whereas Goodwin has shown, in much fewer games, that he is more than a deep threat.

Gilmore: Having missed nearly half a season and playing his first two games with a club on his hand, I am inclined to give him a pass this year. Yes he has been disappointing, but I still think he can become a top CB in the league.

Alex Carrington: Remember this guy? It may be unfair to label him as disappointing after only playing a handful of games before his injury. However, we are still waiting to see this guy have that one big game that shows us he has arrived. Like Moats, he's been a guy without a full time position. Is he a DT or a DE? He's played both positions. Do we re-sign him after the season is over or do we move on from him? It's because of this situation that I think the Bills should draft a DE in the 1st or 2nd round next year. We need some youth at the position. Mario will be 29, Branch is a UFA & Hughes is more of a situational player. We need some fresh, young blood at this position that can grow, become an every down player and hopefully become a dominant force.

Edited by Mark Vader

Stop for a moment and think about how nice it is that a half dozen players are being mentioned. This portends well Bill's fans.

Good point. And it also speaks, like mentioned earlier in the thread, to the coaching.