A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

'Lee Smith will never be a starter in this league, but boy he likes to get his hands dirty, he must be a nightmare to play against, he's always pushing and shoving even after the play is dead." Lee Smith is a penalty machine and he has hands of stone. He needs to be replaced or fed enough to become an OL.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be replaced, he's at best a third stringer, I just wanted to point out that he's the typical player you would hate if he played for the opposition.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) What a game by Byrd today!!! I noted last week how hard he is playing. It really would be cool to keep him next season. He will not be easy to replace.

2) One cannot say enough about how well the DT combo of Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus played. Kyle just made play after play and I have never seen Dareus look as good as he did in this game in terms of being in shape since college. He never looked winded from beginning to end and physically dominated the Jets, especially Geno Smith. Geno is going to be in a whole lot of pain tomorrow.

3) More on the secondary.....yes, Gilmore did scare me when he gave up the 33 yard reception in the first quarter. Actually, he looked like he was holding on the play as well. After that, he was just fine. Most of the little yardage gained against him was in garbage time. This was his best game of the season by far imo, and we need him to continue to progress.

4)Goodwin got great separation on that bomb on the 44 yard TD. That kid can truly fly, and he even was something of a possession receiver as well today. This with Woods and SJ on the bench.

5)Again, no complaints about the running backs today. It was obvious that Ryan was going to make EJ beat him today and his defense concentrated heavily on the run. Sorry Rex LOL!!!

6) Do you realize that no less than 9 Buffalo Bills caught a pass in this game?!

7) WAY too many penalties on special teams. Obviously it didn't matter today, but this can do a lot of damage.

8) I just wonder if you shouldn't feel,

less concern about the deep unreal.

The very first word is: "How do you do?"

The last: "Go home, your mama's callin' you."

9) Robey and Searcy were both excellent today. It is just so cool to see a UDFA play as well as Robey, and watch the 100% effort given by Searcy result in a pick six.

10) In the second quarter we appeared to get a bad spot. The team and/or the coaches appeared to freeze and instead of a challenge, they had to call a timeout. I don't know what Marrone was thinking. And look, I'm not trying to drag down the mood here. I am freaking pumped about this romp, but romps are few and far between and we just don't need mistakes like this. Am I off base here?

11) EJ, without his top receivers, stepped up to the challenge. The mere premise that we MIGHT have a good quarterback is thrilling! This and another good draft, and the Bills can go very far. VERY far.

12) Don't worry about Mario not registering a sack. He applied pressure and forced plays. And trust me, if our play up the middle stays even almost as good as today, Mario will have less people on him.

13) Kiko is not only highly skilled, he too gives 100% on every play. Twice he made great tackles after being on the ground. He instinctive, smart, and he hits. Wow, this kid is excellent!!!

14) Congrats people. We fans deserved a day like today.

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent effort from the defense today. Byrd looked like the Byrd of 2012 today. They might be able to get by without him but he is a star player.

EJ was effective today, there is still more "hope" than command in his throws but he hit a lot of throws today that he has not been able to hit up to this point in the season. Barring 5 more excellent games like that the QB position is still problem #1 for the team on draft day, but today was nice to see.

Got to give Goodwin credit. He still has to prove he can stay healthy but he is proving himself a better receiver than Roscoe Parrish.

David Nelson got taught a lesson today. If you aren't a great player.....keep your mouth shut. Yeah, he shouldn't have been let go. But he is not a guy who is ever going to make 100 grabs or put up 1200 yards so he is always going to be replaceable.

Oh and Lee Smith just stinks. I used to think he was an asset as a blocker and he does make a decent block now and then but he is a dumb player and he can't catch a football to save his life. Hate seeing him on the field instead of a difference maker, especially when they can't run the football, even in 2 TE sets.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Excellent effort from the defense today. Byrd looked like the Byrd of 2012 today. They might be able to get by without him but he is a star player.

EJ was effective today, there is still more "hope" than command in his throws but he hit a lot of throws today that he has not been able to hit up to this point in the season. Barring 5 more excellent games like that the QB position is still problem #1 for the team on draft day, but today was nice to see.

Got to give Goodwin credit. He still has to prove he can stay healthy but he is proving himself a better receiver than Roscoe Parrish.

David Nelson got taught a lesson today. If you aren't a great player.....keep your mouth shut. Yeah, he shouldn't have been let go. But he is not a guy who is ever going to make 100 grabs or put up 1200 yards so he is always going to be replaceable.

Oh and Lee Smith just stinks. I used to think he was an asset as a blocker and he does make a decent block now and then but he is a dumb player and he can't catch a football to save his life. Hate seeing him on the field instead of a difference maker, especially when they can't run the football, even in 2 TE sets.

What could you possibly want EJ to do today besides what he did?

The most impressive thing about Kiko is how quickly he diagnoses plays. The guy reads screens, sees running lanes and fills gaps, reads the QBs eyes and adjusts his coverage, it's just mind boggling how a rookie looks so seasoned. Oh, and he has a motor that never stops and has solid tackling technique. How this guy didn't get drafted until round 2 is baffling.

Not only that but he gets behind the guards or centers trying to pull on lead plays or screens before they can get out there, then tackles the RB in the backfield...that's just pure instinct...

In a strong wind no less

Edited by matter2003

The thing I liked the most about today's game was, it wasn't close. All season long I have felt the team played to the oppositions level. Today they played better (actually the Chefs game as well but....) and romped. Good to see, nice to enjoy a game so thoroughly And yeah lets hope the FO finds a way to keep Byrd, he certainly helps to have in there. :thumbsup:

Unsung hero's today . . .

Doug Legursky - Wilkenson was never heard from

Also, Chris Carpenter … who was that other kicker at the beginning of the season?

Manny Lawson, got to love his effort

Lawson is outstanding... Would love to see him around for a while.

He was outstanding. From throwing long, moving the chains, standing up to the blitz and just slinging it out there in man coverage in the face of a big blitz and giving his guy a jump ball to go get.

People pissed and moaned about Kelly too. EJ is the real deal.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be replaced, he's at best a third stringer, I just wanted to point out that he's the typical player you would hate if he played for the opposition.

I was high on Brooks last year and saw things making me hope/believe we had big potential at #3 or nickel, maybe 2... but all of his bone headed play today has me ready to see him benched until he starts playing smarter.

The best part? It was fun to watch, especially after the gutless yawn fest last week. Pettine outwitted his master today big time. Total domination on D and we did what we had to on O, including some big-chunk plays.

Not worried either about the run. Was clear Ryan was not going to let us run, so we did what good teams do, take what give us and adapt. Was nice to see a couple bombs. Very nice actually.

My only complaint is our lack of dominance on ST returns. We haven't had a big return yet.

Whole buncha teams with four wins. If we continue this play, we could actually find ourselves doing what we haven't since 2005--fighting for a playoff spot in late December. I just looked at these AFC teams. We have a shot, and it's not a shot in the dark...assuming we build on this and don't regress.

My favorite part of this game was that Geno was benched while EJ was excellent !!

Geno had 3 INT's & 2 fumbles this game. The entire Jets team had 22 turnovers on the year coming into this game and Geno Smith was responsible for 21 of those! Now 26 turnovers.

Man love for Mike Pettine, and what he has done for this defense :worthy:

EJ might not always go downfield, and might not always be able to carry the entire offense on his shoulders like he did today. I'd rather have the EJ that doesn't try and force things downfield and up with many turnovers like Geno.

Yea, that's right EJ carried the offense. 38 rushes for 68 yards, average per rush 1.8 YPC :death: (FJax 12 attempts for 34 yards= 2.83) (Spiller 13 attempts for 6 yards= .46)

I have to hand it to Nathaniel Hacklett, as at least he tried to get the offense to run the ball more 38 attempts rushing vs 28 passing. While the O line still can't run block very well, they certainly pass blocked well against a very good Jets D line.

While the O line still can't run block very well, they certainly pass blocked well against a very good Jets D line.

The fact that the Bills are still 4th in the league in rushing would indicate they can run block fairly well. The Jets were leading the league in rushing defense, and focused heavily on it yesterday believing Manuel could not beat them with the pass. They were wrong.

He is one of the most instinctive DBs in the league. If McKelvin had JB's hands he would be premium player.

I don't understand your comments regarding his throws. This was a game where EJ's passes were on the money. He not only hit his receivers but his ball placement in general was impeccable. One example is he hit Chandler over the middle in stride that enabled him to gain yardage after the catch. If you factor in the erratic and forceful wind conditions for the game then you should give him additional credit for his marksmanship.

There is no doubt that Goodwin has great speed. He also has great hands and has a talent for attacking the ball. He is immensely better than TJ Graham.

Just an observation: I thought that Kyle Williams was the best defensive player on the field.

Edited by JohnC

EJ might not always go downfield, and might not always be able to carry the entire offense on his shoulders like he did today. I'd rather have the EJ that doesn't try and force things downfield and up with many turnovers like Geno.

Yea, that's right EJ carried the offense. 38 rushes for 68 yards, average per rush 1.8 YPC :death: (FJax 12 attempts for 34 yards= 2.83) (Spiller 13 attempts for 6 yards= .46)

I wouldn't have said yesterday that he "carried" the offense, but considering the running game was less than solid, I'd say EJ was clearly the key to the offense. He threw downfield *enough*, but not so much that it looked like he was trying to carry the offense. The play-calling was good and he didn't try to do too much.

I have to hand it to Nathaniel Hacklett, as at least he tried to get the offense to run the ball more 38 attempts rushing vs 28 passing. While the O line still can't run block very well, they certainly pass blocked well against a very good Jets D line.

The Jets' front 7 is very good against the run, but Hackett kept grinding away at it. Most of Spiller's running issues were because of Spiller himself, but some of it had to do with the Jets' D. It was all about balance yesterday - good mix of short-medium passes with an occasional downfield toss, but he kept at the running game. They didn't have a lot of success, but had enough of it to keep the Jets on their toes.

Just an observation: I thought that Kyle Williams was the best defensive player on the field.

John so many players on the defense did so many good things that i could not begin to guess which one had the best game.

Dareus didn't show up big in the stats, but imo his initial hit on Smith was crucial in this win. He was also taking on blockers and pushing them back the entire game.

We saw what Byrd did.

Kiko looked like an all pro, and even Robey played a great game. In fact, I thought that he deserved credit for a 1/2 sack.

In all, I credit Pettine. He has these guys playing hard and as a unit. And btw, I have never felt as good about the Bills secondary. They need to keep it together and acquire talent at other positions.

To our point 10 Bill-The fact that EJ bounced back the way he did is a very good sign. It shows determination and ability to go out in those conditions and produce.

Now lets see EJ and the entire O focus and get ready for an awful Falcons D.

The Bills should hange 35+ on the Falcons. I want to see EJ have two back to back good games.

I would like to add that last week they played like a collection of screw ups. This week they played together as a team in all phases. I credit the coaching staff for this turnaround. In previous years they have mailed it in at this point in the season.