Thad listed as doubtful

tito1

Not sure who starts and really not sure if it matters if the Oline does not do a better job pass protecting then they did last week in NO. KC has a very good pass rush, so honestly it is not like we need a drop back and scan the field approach. Hackett and Marrone need to run the ball mix in screens, slants, and maybe a bomb or two to Goodwinn/Graham. Work the middle of the field with Chandler for a couple plays. Biggest thing if Tuel or Flynn starts is not to get down early.

What you're describing is the exact game plan from the New Orleans game--almost verbatim. There were a ton of screens, slants, quick-hit/3-step routes called; Thad just didn't hit them.

I do agree that, whoever the QB is needs to take a few shots downfield early--and they need to be successful.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flynn has completed 63% of his passes and has 10TDs to 6 INTs. There is a reason that 2 teams pursued him before going with a younger option.

Dixon has a few NFL starts and can run the zone read (which may be the way to play against KC). He was a winner in college (which Tuel wasn't).

Let me flip the question, "what exactly has Tuel shown to warrant that he should play ahead of either of them?"

This is foolish. Tuel knows our team and our offense better than Flynn or Dxon. The coaches know him better. It's their decision to make, and they are far more qualified to make it than you or me.

And you've singled me out to make this point...because?

This. The guy just has never done anything (college or pro) to say that he belongs. He knows the play book -so what!! If he plays the Bills lose by 3 scores. If Thad can go I think that they win the game. If it is Flynn they have a fighting chance.

Agreed. Tuel knows the team and the playbook better. He's extremely inexperienced and hasn't proven he can win games. Flynn seems like the choice to me unless he just can't seem to pick up the playbook. I liked what I saw from tuel in preseason vs backups, I would feel more comfortable with a QB that has seen the bullets fly in a full nfl game, especially vs a team that's 8-0 with 2 of the top 5 sack leaders in the nfl. Jmo, but I hope it's Flynn. I'd rather try Dennis Dixon that go with tuel.

I'm thinking he looked cooked against Cleveland. Against KC, I think he'll look over-done.

But seriously, it doesn't matter who plays QB. It's on our D and running game, anyway. I think our D is gonna have one of those D-defining days and I've been predicting all week that we're gonna run all over them. Especially if CJ can give us anything at all.

GO BILLS!!!

While I agree that it'll be our d and running game that will win the game, not turning the ball over on offense is the just as important.

The coaches have tried everything in their power to keep him from playing. Started a guy from the PS, added another QB to the PS and signed Matt Flynn. That is not a ringing endorsement for Tuel. If they thought that he was ready at all they would have just elevated Thad to back him up. Of he 4 QBs that the Bills have including the PS he would be my 4th option. He just doesn't have the physical skills.

Tuel was not here to start this year...Marrone said "In a perfect world, he would be on the practice squad. However he played so well in presease, Marrone felt he couldn't put him on the practice squad for fear that he would be plucked by another team. Does that sound like a coaching staff that has no faith in him for future purposes? Though this weekend may not be very good because he is still green, he was seen as a long term developmental QB. What did you all expect?

If Tuel needs starter's reps to be an adequate backup, then he isn't an adequate backup.

HE IS A ROOKIE!!! Wow! He's still gotta learn. Again, Marrone didn't want to put him on the practice squad because he was afraid other teams may want to take him off the squad. He's a developmental QB. Apparently, Marrone feels most comfortable with him at this point. Not very many choices, he's the best at this point. Tuel is not horrible, he's just young and green and developing.

he's just young and green and developing.

Which usually leads to a loss on Sunday. If Marrone wants to start tuel because he wants to get him some experience, so be it. If he wants to win the game, I'm not sure it's the right move....unless Flynn hasn't gotten a grasp of our playbook

At this point in time Tuel may know the Bills offense more then Flynn. Tuel against Cleveland, 8 of 20 for 80 yards, 1 INT. 40% completion percentage. Lots-0-turf balls

Flynn did go 21 of 32 for 227 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT against the Redskins in week four. But perhaps it was the fact that he was sacked 7 times in that game. 64.7 completion percentage tho.

That one game went something like this, punt, TD, INT, punt, punt -end of half-punt, punt, missed FG, punt, punt, fumble, downs. I didn't watch that Raiders game so I don't know if it was Flynn or the O line.

If It were me, I'd go with Flynn for this game

At this point in time Tuel may know the Bills offense more then Flynn. Tuel against Cleveland, 8 of 20 for 80 yards, 1 INT. 40% completion percentage. Lots-0-turf balls

Flynn did go 21 of 32 for 227 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT against the Redskins in week four. But perhaps it was the fact that he was sacked 7 times in that game. 64.7 completion percentage tho.

That one game went something like this, punt, TD, INT, punt, punt -end of half-punt, punt, missed FG, punt, punt, fumble, downs. I didn't watch that Raiders game so I don't know if it was Flynn or the O line.

If It were me, I'd go with Flynn for this game

I'm not sure but wasn't it only 3 possessions for Tuel (maybe 4) in that game? I'm not making excuses for him but getting tossed in while down a TD and needing the throw the ball as much as possible isn't a good situation for a rookie QB.

Flynn I have no opinion on, either way my optimism is about the same for either for them and hope either proves me wrong. I really just don't want to watch the game Sunday be a blow out and the stroke fest of how great the Chiefs are starts.

I would agree, it seems as though they were wrong based on his performance in the Cleveland game. However, I think you have to look at what we knew (or had) prior to that game. The facts are:

1. Tuel was on the roster from day one of training camp and at least had a good understanding of the offense.

2. Kolb and EJ were competing for the starter/backup spot.

3. When Kolb went down, that essentially gifted the starting role to EJ and the backup to Tuel.

4. Based upon Tuel's preseason and camp performance, he seemed capable to be a backup.

5. When EJ hurt his knee (the 1st time), they immediately went out and brought in several QBs. Granted, at the time the pickings were quite slim.

6. A week later we enter the regular season preparation. EJ, at that time, was deemed healthy and would start.

The point of contention then becomes... do you go with Tuel as the backup - a guy that had been on the team from day 1 and didn't look all that bad in the preseason? Or do you name Thad your backup - a practice squad cut that had been on the team one week?

At the time, I think they took the prudent approach, given the information at the time, entering the season. After the Browns game, they had 10days to think, re-evaluate, and considering Thad had been on the team for over a month and had a better grasp of the offense, they promoted him up.

In some ways, we're here again. If the starter can't start, do you start the guy that's been here since day one and knows the offense or do you start the guy that's had 2 weeks to learn the offense? Flynn may have more experience, but as we all saw with Freeman, if he doesn't know the offense all the experience accounts for squat.

So, in the end, I think they've dealt with a sucky situation about as well as they could. The mistake was probably thinking Kolb would be a viable QB on this roster. If he doesn't get injured in preseason, this is all a mute discussion. If EJ doesn't get injured, this is a mute discussion. But, when your top 2 QBs get injured, repeatedly it's almost a lose lose situation.

Tuel looked decent in only one preseason game. As others recounted, he looked miserable against Washington but everyone gave him a pass, because it was only preseason. So while, Marrone manned up that they were wrong about Tuel's ability to be a back up, I see nothing that would have changed in the last three weeks to put Tuel back in the spotlight. The week of practice with the Bills' first unit will do squat against one of the better defenses in the league.

Tuel looked decent in only one preseason game. As others recounted, he looked miserable against Washington but everyone gave him a pass, because it was only preseason. So while, Marrone manned up that they were wrong about Tuel's ability to be a back up, I see nothing that would have changed in the last three weeks to put Tuel back in the spotlight. The week of practice with the Bills' first unit will do squat against one of the better defenses in the league.

I can't disagree with you, because I haven't een seen Tuel practice. But, the real question is... is Flynn a better option at this point in time? Because if Thad can't go, then it's gotta be either one of them.

I have no idea how much of the offense Flynn has learned, but I have to think Tuel has an edge there. Overall game experience, I would think Flynn has the edge. How thay translates to either helping us win, quite honestly I hope we don't have to find out.

I'm not sure but wasn't it only 3 possessions for Tuel (maybe 4) in that game? I'm not making excuses for him but getting tossed in while down a TD and needing the throw the ball as much as possible isn't a good situation for a rookie QB.

Didn't at least 2 of Tuel's drives also start from inside his own 10-yard line? I also recall Hackett dialing up an idiotic flea-flicker for Tuel from his own 5-yard line. Real bright playcalling...

Did they say who would likely start?

Marrone at the beginning of the week said that Tuel will start if Thad cannot go. However, yesterday it appears they have backpedaled and have not made up their mind on who will go if Thad cannot.

Is Flynn really so *BAD* that this team is hanging on to a PS player and a rookie UDFA QB before turning the ropes to Flynn.

Go Bills!!

People are ridiculous for saying Tuel is going to be horrible, what are you basing that on? Tuel's game against the Browns, of which, coaches admittedly say he had 0 reps during practice that week? Give me a break!

it's ridiculous to think an UDFA making his first start won't play well against an 8-0 team? that's ridiculous?

i swear, some fans would still think the Bills would win without a QB on the roster.

I can't disagree with you, because I haven't een seen Tuel practice. But, the real question is... is Flynn a better option at this point in time? Because if Thad can't go, then it's gotta be either one of them.

I have no idea how much of the offense Flynn has learned, but I have to think Tuel has an edge there. Overall game experience, I would think Flynn has the edge. How thay translates to either helping us win, quite honestly I hope we don't have to find out.

Yup, hoping that Thad is a full go on Sunday because I don't want to find out whose worse between Tuel & Flynn.

They were obviously concerned enough about Tuel to grab Flynn when he became available. I don't have high hopes for Flynn, but at least he's looked better in real NFL action. In these cases, I'd err with the guy who's faced live action before and has moved the chains here & there.

I don't know, brother.

I'm not sure I like how our D matches up against KC's short-drop horizontal offense. :ph34r:

That's just it; I think we operate better in shorter, tighter spaces with Kiko, Manny, and Robey all having good coverage skills. I look for Kiko to get another pick as well. Especially if we can disrupt A Smith's timing on those short drops. I know it's a tall order, but their OL is having pass pro issues and we can get quick pressure up the middle. We're at home with a frenzied crowd. So, I'm sticking with my call on the D having a great game.

GO BILLS!!!

I would not risk playing Thad hurt , but in the future

"Dan Pastorini was known as a tough quarterback throughout his career From 1971 through 1979, Pastorini missed only five regular season games, playing through broken ribs and even a punctured lung at times. He was the first player to wear the now ubiquitous "flak jacket "under his uniform to protect broken ribs. He did not play behind what would be considered a quality offensive line until 1977"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Pastorini If my memory is correct ,didn't he have someone hit him in the ribs with a baseball bat to show the jacket works ?

If you honestly believe Tuel will lead this offense to a single touch down, you are beyond hope when it comes to delusional fandom. The guy simply can't play. Case closed. If he starts I would bet he will have more turnovers then completed passes and the Chiefs will score more points than Tuel will have receiving yards. He is not an NFL Quarterback. Maybe one day he can be. But not this year and certainly not this week.

This is over the top.

...he will have more turnovers than completed passes?

...the Chiefs will score more points than he will have receiving (I assume you mean passing) yards?

If he starts, I will bet you twenty bucks you are wrong on both of these counts.

This is a sane way to look at it, sans hysteria. Thanks.

Edited by Dr. K