When were you most wrong on a player?

plenzmd1

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills: James Hardy. Thought this kid was gonna be a star. WAY off.

James Hardy is a good one! If you watched his college highlights he looked like Megatron in the red zone. I thought that he was going to be a TD machine. Then he pulled the gun on his dad. He was much more like Charles Rogers than he was Calvin Johnson. I was dead wrong on Hardy as well (same with Rogers for that matter).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

For me, it was Dennis Shaw. I was 7, and he was the only 'famous" person, besides Dennis the Menace that had the same first name as me. It was a big selling point...I took a lot of teasing (for some reasonconstantly being called "Dennis the Menace" really got under my skin)...growing up in Buffalo, I probably would have come around to it eventually...but Shaw was the man!

Also, I think your case for Losman being misused, un-developed, could be made for a lot of the guys who have passed through Buffalo during the last decade or so...I don't believe that Chan Gailey, or Dick Jauron always fielded their best players...

In my memory (which could be absolutely wrong) Shaw was a fairly good qb...certainly not a bust (Marangi, Dan Darragh, Kay Stephonson, Holbert, JP etc...)

Not drafting Haloti Ngata... BOY I was way off on that... still embarrassing when I think about it.

That's one Draft moment I will NEVER forget...I was in my LR, and when the Bills pick came up I was literally jumping up and down and chanting Ngata!!!...Ngata!!!...Ngata!!! I was SO happy I was actually making a fool of myself...Then the pick came...And at first I was in shock...Then the anger set in...Then I turned around and looked for something to kick...I picked the 25 lb dumbbell on the floor...One BIG problem..I forgot I was barefoot...And I split my big toe open pretty good...

And folks wonder why I hated Whitner... ;)

Edited by KOKBILLS

In my memory (which could be absolutely wrong) Shaw was a fairly good qb...certainly not a bust (Marangi, Dan Darragh, Kay Stephonson, Holbert, JP etc...)

He was offensive rookie of the year, but it was a much different game then. I looked at his stats once, and he threw nearly 3 times as many pics as he did td's. I know, perhaps a fugged up td/int ratio was a bit more common then, but that isn't good in any era...but you are right, he was marginally successful. I am too young to remember Darragh and Kay Stephenson from more than just old football cards, but from what I gather, Darragh, especially, was pretty awful..funny, Darragh, Kay Stephonson, Sam Wyche and Tom Flores were all in the mix...before settling on utiltiy/emergency QB Ed Rutkowski...kind of like the QB scramble the Billls had this year...interesting too, Stephensen, Flores and Wyche would all go on to be Head Coaches...Ed Rutkowski remained locally relevnat...not sure what ever happened to Darragh.

I really thought that Anthony Gray was going to be something special. In the 1999 pre-season he led the entire NFL in rushing. Bills had Thurman, Antowain Smith, Sam Gash and Jonathan Linton ahead of him on depth chart. Bills cut him and I don't think he ever got picked up by another team.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Well, I got the QBs right. I was down on RJ, JPL and RF...up on Flutie. But I guess I missed it on Trent; I thought he would be great and - although I knew that concussion would end his career - I still hoped he would recover. I guess he wasn't made of the stuff I thought.

Incidentally, I think EJ WILL be very good.

James Hardy and Maybin. Thought Hardy was going to be the next James Loftin. Maybin the next 14+ sack man a year even if he was only used in special circumstances. Boy is my face red...

It's hard not to have overestimated Maybin, given that almost everyone thought that he'd at least...y'know...play.

Smith had his best season after he left the Bills, rushing for 1157 yards and 12 TDs for the SB champ Pats in 2001. In six postseason games for the Patriots, he had 460 rushing yards (77 ypg). He had 92 yards in the SB against the Rams and 83 yards in the SB against the Panthers. He also had 100 yards against the Colts in the 2003 AFC championship game. He gained a very respectable 6,881 yards over his career, and was a big contributor in two Super Bowl victories.

Which is all the more evidence that RB talent isn't that important.

Look at the AFC starting RB's from the early 2000's: Martin, Bettis, George, Lewis, Dillon, Holmes, Alexander, Taylor, Edge, LT2...

Antowain is way at the bottom if you're just ranking the peak of their careers.

Which is all the more evidence that RB talent isn't that important.

Look at the AFC starting RB's from the early 2000's: Martin, Bettis, George, Lewis, Dillon, Holmes, Alexander, Taylor, Edge, LT2...

Antowain is way at the bottom if you're just ranking the peak of their careers.

Antowain was a better runner than people give him credit for in Buffalo, he was just was used stupidly by the coaches. They put a lead blocker in front of him and asked him to be a cutback runner. Uh...no. Guy was a freight train with no lateral ability. Let him make one cut, hit the hole, and run over anyone there. Don't put a frickin' fullback in front of him.

i definitely thought he was a big risk at 2, or in our case 3

I think Von Miller gets an "incomplete."

We see what happened to Merriman after he got off (his usual dose of) steroids. And so far Cushing isnt as dominant as before he got busted. (and i hope players are subject to testing while on IR, since PEDs help you recover faster).

He might still be the "risk" level you thought. Just not exactly the risk you expected.

Edited by maddenboy