Blake Bortles: Do the Bills take a shot at 9 ? Turns Pro

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same size, arm, athleticism, they are basically the same guy.

There are lots of guys in the NFL who have better size, arms - especially at this point - than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, yet they are the best QBs in the league (or certainly in the top 5).

I should add Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers to the list of "not top" arms/size/athleticism who are doing well.

I might argue that Jay Cutler has GREAT arm talent and very good size and athletic ability, yet he couldn't get the Bears to the playoffs with two OUTSTANDING WRs (Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffreies) and a very good RB (Matt Forte).

Size and arm strength are entry level requirements to a point. Beyond that, there are many intangibles. I'd argue that EJ Manuel and Ryan Tannehiill have better size, arms and athletic ability than Manning and Brady, yet many here think they'll never do well...

Edited by OldTimer1960

I think all of first round qb talk is crazy. I'm thinking that this will be very similar to the year ponder and locker went in the top of round 1. Some reaches and a lot of surprises.

Outside of the top tier of guys I like tajh Boyd and mccarron. McCarron plays great against top competition. Boyd's physical tools intrigue me. I would be very happy to add either of them outside of the top pick. I think of either of them are sitting there in the top of the 3rd pulling the trigger would be a sound move.

If the Bills went to camp with Manuel, Lewis, and one of these guys I would feel very confident about the qb situation. It would also allow the top 2 picks to be used to strengthen the team.

Edited by section122

There are lots of guys in the NFL who have better size, arms - especially at this point - than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, yet they are the best QBs in the league (or certainly in the top 5).

I should add Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers to the list of "not top" arms/size/athleticism who are doing well.

I might argue that Jay Cutler has GREAT arm talent and very good size and athletic ability, yet he couldn't get the Bears to the playoffs with two OUTSTANDING WRs (Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffreies) and a very good RB (Matt Forte).

Size and arm strength are entry level requirements to a point. Beyond that, there are many intangibles. I'd argue that EJ Manuel and Ryan Tannehiill have better size, arms and athletic ability than Manning and Brady, yet many here think they'll never do well...

Which is why you should love Manziel.

2014: The year of alliterative quarterbacks.

What do you think of:

Garret Gilbert?

Tyler Tettleton?

Clint Chelf?

Big Bums

I think all of first round qb talk is crazy. I'm

junking

that this will be very similar to the year ponder and locker went in the top of round 1. Some reaches and a lot of surprises.

Outside of the top tier of guys I like tajh Boyd and mccarron. McCarron plays great against top competition. Boyd's physical tools intrigue me. I would be very happy to add either of them outside of the top pick. I think of either of them are sitting there in the top of the 3rd pulling the trigger would be a sound move.

If the Bills went to camp with Manuel, Lewis, and one of these guys I would feel very confident about the qb situation. It would also allow the top 2 picks to be used to strengthen the team.

Junking?

Boyd is inconsistent, Mike Vick ultra-light.

McCarron is solid could be a good pro if he has lots of weapons (which is true for any QB but he will really need them.)

Junking?

Boyd is inconsistent, Mike Vick ultra-light.

McCarron is solid could be a good pro if he has lots of weapons (which is true for any QB but he will really need them.)

Lol should have been thinking. I agree that both of them need some work but that is why I'm advocating spending a third on a qb.

It will clearly be a guy with some warts but if Manuel busts next year then the year after there will be a guy with time in the system. Someone who may be able to be successful after having a year to sit and learn. It also would be someone who wouldn't preclude them from picking someone up in the first round the year after. Just a nice insurance plan IMO.

Lol should have been thinking. I agree that both of them need some work but that is why I'm advocating spending a third on a qb.

It will clearly be a guy with some warts but if Manuel busts next year then the year after there will be a guy with time in the system. Someone who may be able to be successful after having a year to sit and learn. It also would be someone who wouldn't preclude them from picking someone up in the first round the year after. Just a nice insurance plan IMO.

If we don't go first round QB then I hope we go all the way to UDFA and get Casey Pachall who if not for rehab and broken arm would have been the top QB prospect this year. All the talent of EJ minus the inconsistency, accuracy, and poor running skills.

If we don't go first round QB then I hope we go all the way to UDFA and get Casey Pachall who if not for rehab and broken arm would have been the top QB prospect this year. All the talent of EJ minus the inconsistency, accuracy, and poor running skills.

So what's your full list of going to be great nfl qbs this year? Manziel and bortles, if pachall would've been above both I assume he's on the list of predicted successes too?

So what's your full list of going to be great nfl qbs this year? Manziel and bortles, if pachall would've been above both I assume he's on the list of predicted successes too?

of course :flirt:

He was pretty rusty when he came back but you could still see the talent, given the opportunity he will make a great NFL QB

In your view, what attributes make a great NFL QB? I'm curious because some of the guys you have been enamored with simply didn't have what it takes to excel at the NFL level.

One late round QB we should take a flyer on is Casy Pachill from TCU. He missed half of this year with a broken non-throwing arm and most of last year with a DUI arrest getting him kicked off the team. But going back to his Freshman and Soph year he was great. He has the size at 6'5'' and 240ish and a strong arm.

With his issues and lack of recent production I bet he goes undrafted or at most, the 6th or 7th round. Perfect guy to waste a 6th or 7th on and leave on the practice squad IMO. This kid makes Tuel look like a highschool freshman.

Regarding Bortles, I haven't seen much of him but I am about to watch him in the fiesta bowl which is starting in 10 mins. From what I have seen, it appeared his offense was very horizontal, with very little verticle routes. He threw a lot of bubble screens. Is this true of all of his games? In conclusion, I wasn't impressed with their offense as a whole and therefore not very confident in Broyles, because he didnt throw too many NFL passes; I couldnt even evaluate him in my armchai way lol.

But every GM in the NFL is too stupid to see this and draft him in the 7th?

What do you think of Michael Maxwell?