Blake Bortles: Do the Bills take a shot at 9 ? Turns Pro

Edit:

"UCF quarterback Blake Bortles will declare for the NFL draft, a source with direct knowledge of his decision told the Orlando Sentinel Sunday.

The redshirt junior will forgo his final year of eligibility with the Knights and turn pro. An official announcement is expected on Monday morning.

Bortles rocketed up NFL draft boards this season with a string of clutch performances that helped UCF turn in remarkable 12-1 campaign and Fiesta Bowl win. The Knights defeated Baylor, 52-42, on Wednesday night at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.

Bortles passed for 3,581 yards and 25 touchdowns with nine interceptions this season, completing 67.8 percent of his passes. He also rushed for another 272 yards and six scores."

http://www.orlandose...,0,5873144.post

Edit:

Q: Would you consider a quarterback at any time, but particularly in the first round of the draft?

DW: We’re going to develop our board like we always do. Research every position top to bottom. Not only during the draft process, but also during the free agents process. If we feel a player is out there that can help us get past this 6-10 mark, we will not be beholden to taking someone that we think doesn’t help us as much as another player.

http://www.buffalobi...47-9073cd8b524a

With this statement I think it is possible that if the right QB comes along we take him.

My boy Blake started out slow but came through clutch in the end to throw the winning touchdown with 23 seconds to go to beat Bridgewater and the Cardinals.

Could be a top QB in 2015 in case we need one.

"Down 28-7 midway through the third quarter, the Knights (5-1, 2-0 American Athletic Conference) responded with three touchdowns in a 7:22 span. Storm Johnson had a 1-yard TD run and a 20-yard reception for another score, and William Stanback ran 12 yards for the tying TD.

UCF then went in front on Shawn Moffitt’s 34-yard field goal with 7:36 remaining.

Louisville (6-1, 2-1) reclaimed the lead on Dominique Brown’s 15-yard run with three minutes to go, but the Knights drove 75 yards in 11 plays to take the lead for good on Bortles’ TD and then held off the Cardinals’ comeback attempt.

Bortles finished 21-of-32 passing for 250 yards and two touchdowns while Johnson rushed for 109 yards and a TD on 18 carries, leading a spirited comeback during which the Knights outgained the Cardinals 269-210 in the second half to finish with a 446-445 edge."

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really don't need just two forums, need one Football forum and all the other stuff can stay the same.

ive long been an advocate for this being linked to the main board the way OTW is - so atleast it has some sort of obvious presence, even if they (and probably fairly) want to keep the college stuff out of the bills chatter for organizations sake. having an active college board here would certainly add knowledge and value to the discussions year round though - from draft day, to matchups with other teams, to simply seeing ways the game is evolving and what to expect in the pipeline.

ive long been an advocate for this being linked to the main board the way OTW is - so atleast it has some sort of obvious presence, even if they (and probably fairly) want to keep the college stuff out of the bills chatter for organizations sake. having an active college board here would certainly add knowledge and value to the discussions year round though - from draft day, to matchups with other teams, to simply seeing ways the game is evolving and what to expect in the pipeline.

All true but fairly or not no one comes here, How many times has a college thread started on the main board, get a few quick responses and then sent over here and it cricketsville.

• 5 weeks later...

My boy Bortles tearing it up tonight against Rutgers.

"Bortles was 21-of-30 passing for 335 yards and a TD, and he also rushed for a score. The yardage total was his third-highest of the season, and he now has nine TD passes and one interception in the past four games.

Bortles (6 feet 4, 230 pounds) has climbed NFL draft boards with his steady play this season, and he was especially sharp in the first half against Rutgers. He led the Knights to TDs on each of their first four drives, going 13-of-18 for 198 yards and a TD in the process. He also ran for 39 yards and a score on those drives. "

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285777/article/blake-bortles-throws-for-335-yards-keeps-ucf-in-line-for-bcs-bid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5LG7DhSxJg

I asked my QB guy at DraftTek for some commentary.

"From a scouting perspective, I like his size/frame and confidence/demeanor. He's got a solid arm. Not special, but more than adequate. I question his accuracy on intermediate to deep routes and he doesn't have overly strong or consistent footwork and he seems to rush his throws quite a bit, which leads to the inaccuracy. When he gets his rhythm, plants and throws, it's usually a very positive result but, like I said, it doesn't always happen that way. In this offense, he isn't asked to make too many "NFL" throws, and it's typically a "get the ball out to the receivers and let them make plays" strategy."

I think RD2.

I asked my QB guy at DraftTek for some commentary.

"From a scouting perspective, I like his size/frame and confidence/demeanor. He's got a solid arm. Not special, but more than adequate. I question his accuracy on intermediate to deep routes and he doesn't have overly strong or consistent footwork and he seems to rush his throws quite a bit, which leads to the inaccuracy. When he gets his rhythm, plants and throws, it's usually a very positive result but, like I said, it doesn't always happen that way. In this offense, he isn't asked to make too many "NFL" throws, and it's typically a "get the ball out to the receivers and let them make plays" strategy."

I think RD2.

Interesting, the commentators said he is in a NFL offense where he mas to make multiple reads and can audible on his without help from the sideline. I've seen him make plenty of long throws so I'm gona have to disagree with your guy on that, I think he has a little better arm than that also. He probably is second round right now but next year is another story. I think he could be another Roethlisberger.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the UCF season finally and the announcer said that if Bortles comes out he should be the first QB taken. This was pretty surprising to hear because there has been no mention of him coming out and he hasn't been ranked that high from experts (maybe they haven't been watching him as much thinking he was staying in).

Bortles reminds me a lot of Roethlisberger; big, strong arm , runs like a TE but can run dudes over like a FB. He can make plays out of nothing, which is very important in the NFL to get the advantage over the defense.

All true but fairly or not no one comes here, How many times has a college thread started on the main board, get a few quick responses and then sent over here and it cricketsville.

I'm surprised given the level of interest in the draft and upcoming draft class that there isn't more traffic over here. Maybe if a few of us keep it flowing others will join in.

Out of curiosity, where would you rank Bortles right now relative to the other guys coming out?

I'm surprised given the level of interest in the draft and upcoming draft class that there isn't more traffic over here. Maybe if a few of us keep it flowing others will join in.

Out of curiosity, where would you rank Bortles right now relative to the other guys coming out? doubt it, most members just stick to the main board which is why all football discussions should be over there.

2nd behind Johny because he can really make plays out of nothing but Bortles maybe be the better pro do to his size but Wilson, Brees and even Vick have shown that little QBs can play in the League (Vick has the tools just not smarts to make all the reads)

Bortles getting attention by scouts.

"In the UCF offense, Bortles gets to call plays at the line of scrimmage. The system there also requires him to read the whole field and actually go through his progressions. These days, that can be a rarity for a college quarterback.

Bortles has all of those classic, cliched traits people love about a quarterback – the size, the arm strength, the athleticism and that unmeasurable clutch ability.

When you watch Bortles, the first comparisons that come to mind are Cam Newton and Ben Roethlisberger. Those are the names that come up because of Bortles' combination of size (6-foot-4, 230 pounds) and athleticism. Like Newton and Roethlisberger, he's a capable passer on the run. When he works to the right, his accuracy doesn't wane. On pays where he rolls to the left, Bortles shows he can square his shoulders to the line of scrimmage and rely on his arm strength to complete passes."

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/12/10/5196120/blake-bortles-nfl-draft

• 3 weeks later...

big game tonight, could be the number one overall pick come draft time.

He's good but I'd say Bortles is more accurate and little more clutch.

1, maybe 2 quality wins this year. No way he goes ahead of Bridgewater anyway.

As I stated in another thread, if we draft him we also need to find a RB named James so that the Bortles and James era can begin.

I don't know much about him yet but it sounds like one to look at if he does leave college early. I don't believe we would go QB in the first round this year though.