Blake Bortles: Do the Bills take a shot at 9 ? Turns Pro

This thread has a life now as Bortles declared, and he won't make it past the Jags at #3.

Bridgewater and Manziel seem frail at 6'3'' 210- 6'0''205 lbs. At least Bortles is 230lbs

and 6'4"

However I think the League has changed enough that smaller guys can flourish.

Trevor Night from OK St. is only 6'1" 201 and looked plenty big enough to do the job. I want my guy to be 6'6" 265 but what matters most is if they can play and I'll take him no matter the size.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has a life now as Bortles declared, and he won't make it past the Jags at #3.

Bridgewater and Manziel seem frail at 6'3'' 210- 6'0''205 lbs. At least Bortles is 230lbs

Haha, that would be the perfect QB for Jacksonville. But that comeback against Temple was very impressive. Much better than beating the Carolina Panthers in your 2nd NFL start. Bortles >>>> Manuel

“I’ll predict right now if Bortles comes out and goes in 1st the HC and GM will b fired within 3 years”

—@greggabe, former Chicago director of college scouting Greg Gabriel, on Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles, who will enter the NFL draft, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/06/nfl-playoffs-wild-card-monday-morning-quarterback/5/

Former director of college scouting Greg Gabriel believes it would be a major mistake for a team to select UCF redshirt junior QB Blake Bortles in the first-round.

"I'll predict right now if Bortles comes out and goes in (the first-round) the HC and GM will be fired within three years," Gabriel tweeted. "People are falling in love with Bortles arm and athleticism. When you just look at that you will screwed. Think Boller, Gabbert." The major difference we see with Bortles and the two listed quarterbacks is strong pocket movement. Bortles does fall away from some passes and his footwork needs improvement, but we don't think he is a "manufactured" talent like the other two.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/cfb/nfl-draft-player-news

Seen a lot of chatter about the young man so I figured I would post this for all of the armchair GM's out there. :thumbsup:

The Gabbert comparison is spot on. Not necessarily when comparing their games, but definitely when looking at "draft hype".

I dont see this year's QB class as much better than last year's. Which is more on par for the regular level, as opposed to 2012's anomaly class.

There isn't a sure-fire Luck/Newton QB in the entire group.

Only saw him once, but was pretty impressed. Reminded me of Luck from a physical tools perspective. When you factor in the importance of the QB position and the cap friendly rookie contracts, it's foolish not to take a chance on a franchise QB if you don't have one. Gabriel's operating in the past. If anything, taking a chance on franchise-type QB in the 1st round buys a coach more time than he would've had otherwise. If you don't have top notch QB play, your coaching days are numbered. Might as well take a chance on a guy who has the physical tools to be elite.

Only saw him once, but was pretty impressed. Reminded me of Luck from a physical tools perspective. When you factor in the importance of the QB position and the cap friendly rookie contracts, it's foolish not to take a chance on a franchise QB if you don't have one. Gabriel's operating in the past. If anything, taking a chance on franchise-type QB in the 1st round buys a coach more time than he would've had otherwise. If you don't have top notch QB play, your coaching days are numbered. Might as well take a chance on a guy who has the physical tools to be elite.

Todd McShay loves the way you think. He was also the biggest player in the hype-machine for a QB named Blaine Gabbert. There will be busts, there will be the average, and there will be the great. Bortles reminds me, personally, in now way of Andrew Luck. Plenty of physical tools, but that comparison is inaccurate. Not picking on you my friend, just saying. :thumbsup:

Todd McShay loves the way you think. He was also the biggest player in the hype-machine for a QB named Blaine Gabbert. There will be busts, there will be the average, and there will be the great. Bortles reminds me, personally, in now way of Andrew Luck. Plenty of physical tools, but that comparison is inaccurate. Not picking on you my friend, just saying. :thumbsup:

Yep! The second I saw McShay add Bortles to his list as the 2nd rated QB in late December, I thought "Here we go again!"

It's just the media hyping a player so they have someone to talk about.

But he threw for 400 yards against Temple!!!

I got nothing against the kid but it bothers me how people act like he is better than EJ. He played in maybe the worst division 1 conference.

He also singlehandedly almost willed his overmatched team to a win over a top 10 SEC team. Not to mention his performances against the beloved Teddy Bridgewater and against Baylor on the big stage.

Do I think he's going to be an immediate impact player? Probably not. But with good coaching, the tools are there. And he showed it this year against quality competition.

Not sure what you're point is. There's busts at every position. I'm sure people like McShay try to get info from scouts about what prospects they like, rather than the other way around. Doubt he influences anyone who matters. Arm strength, size, and athleticism, Bortles is very similar to Luck. Manuel got drafted in the 1st round based mostly on upside, and I'd guess Bortles will too.

But he threw for 400 yards against Temple!!!

I got nothing against the kid but it bothers me how people act like he is better than EJ. He played in maybe the worst division 1 conference.

Have you gotten your EJ tattoo yet?

Edited by Rob's House

Watched the UCF season finally and the announcer said that if Bortles comes out he should be the first QB taken. This was pretty surprising to hear because there has been no mention of him coming out and he hasn't been ranked that high from experts (maybe they haven't been watching him as much thinking he was staying in).

Bortles reminds me a lot of Roethlisberger; big, strong arm , runs like a TE but can run dudes over like a FB. He can make plays out of nothing, which is very important in the NFL to get the advantage over the defense.

I like Bortles' measurables, he plays in an offense that combines pro-style drop-back passing with spread and read-option. He's mobile, displays accuracy, and is known for sound decision-making. When he gets his rhythm, plants and throws, it's usually a very positive result but it doesn't always happen that way in the NFL game. In his offense, he isn't asked to make too many "NFL" throws, and it's typically a "get the ball out to the receivers and let them make plays" strategy, This year he'd be on my board above McCarron, Mettenberger, and Manziel, and below Carr and Bridgewater. Next year? Maybe higher.

Edited by Astrobot

Only saw him once, but was pretty impressed. Reminded me of Luck from a physical tools perspective. When you factor in the importance of the QB position and the cap friendly rookie contracts, it's foolish not to take a chance on a franchise QB if you don't have one.

Gabriel's operating in the past. If anything, taking a chance on franchise-type QB in the 1st round buys a coach more time than he would've had otherwise. If you don't have top notch QB play, your coaching days are numbered. Might as well take a chance on a guy who has the physical tools to be elite.

I don't yet have an informed opinion about Bortles but I think Gabriel's point is that he doesn't view Bortles as a franchise QB.

It should be interesting to see how this whole thing unfolds.

Kiper's latest Big Board has Bortles ranked 9th....

Bortles offers a good blend of the size traditionalists want at the QB position and the athleticism that is now more coveted as NFL offenses often look to put the quarterback's feet to good use. He has sound mechanics, though almost rigidly so, and shows poise and good footwork in the pocket. He has above-average arm strength based on my reviews, can drive the ball pretty well on intermediate throws, and while he's generally accurate, he can be inconsistent with his ball placement and ask a lot of his wide receivers, an area where Bridgewater has been better so far. The UCF offense also turned a lot of short throws into huge plays, inflating passing totals a bit.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10259549/2014-nfl-draft-sammy-watkins-rises-blake-bortles-debuts-big-board?refresh=true

Here's Bortles stats from this year: 259 for 382, 3,581, 67.8%, 9.37 ypa, 25 tds, 9 ints, 163.4 QB rating, 87 rushes for 272 yards, 3.1 ypc, 6 tds. http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/505719/blake-bortles

Here's EJ's final season: 263 for 387, 3,392 yards, 68%, 8.8 ypa, 23 tds, 10 ints, 156 QB rating, 103 rushes for 310, 3 ypc, 4 tds. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15803/type/college/ej-manuel

EJ played in the ACC while Bortles played in the American Conference. Yet, EJ was a reach as a 1st round and Bortles is a top 10 pick??? :wacko: Yeah, this QB class is very overrated.