Blake Bortles: Do the Bills take a shot at 9 ? Turns Pro

Here's Bortles stats from this year: 259 for 382, 3,581, 67.8%, 9.37 ypa, 25 tds, 9 ints, 163.4 QB rating, 87 rushes for 272 yards, 3.1 ypc, 6 tds. http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/505719/blake-bortles

Here's EJ's final season: 263 for 387, 3,392 yards, 68%, 8.8 ypa, 23 tds, 10 ints, 156 QB rating, 103 rushes for 310, 3 ypc, 4 tds. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15803/type/college/ej-manuel

EJ played in the ACC while Bortles played in the American Conference. Yet, EJ was a reach as a 1st round and Bortles is a top 10 pick??? :wacko: Yeah, this QB class is very overrated.

I don't think this QB class is overrated & the moment Bridgewater & Manzel declared for the draft the QB class became better then last year. If one of those 2 guys drop to the Bills I hope they pull the trigger. I would not take a chance on Bortles @ 9. We already have one QB project going on.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this QB class is overrated & the moment Bridgewater & Manzel declared for the draft the QB class became better then last year. If one of those 2 guys drop to the Bills I hope they pull the trigger. I would not take a chance on Bortles @ 9. We already have one QB project going on.

I think Bridgewater can be good but let's be honest, who did he really play this year? Talk about a junk schedule. http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/511614/teddy-bridgewater Also, I just checked and do you realize he's listed at 6'3" 196 lbs??? I know you can't tackle in the NFL anymore but man, that's skinny.

And Johnny Football has a bunch of questions himself (size, arm, system, did a 6'5" 1st round wr make him). This class has potential but it also has a ton of questions. Like pretty much every QB besides Luck and Peyton. I think people look foolish trying to say that a college QB will become a star NFL QB (Johnny Football won't though :nana: ).

#1- Jadeveon Clowney DE

#2- Anthony Barr OLB

#3- Jake Matthews OT

#4- Greg Robinson OT

#5- Khalil Mack OLB

#6- Sammy Watkins WR

#7- Eric Ebron TE

#8- Teddy Bridgewater QB

#9- Blake Bortles QB

#10- Timmy Jernigan DT

#11- Taylor Lewan OT

#12- Johnny Manziel QB

#13- C.J. Mosley LB

#14- Marqise Lee WR

#15- Mike Evans WR

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10259549/2014-nfl-draft-sammy-watkins-rises-blake-bortles-debuts-big-board

#1- Jadeveon Clowney DE

#2- Anthony Barr OLB

#3- Jake Matthews OT

#4- Greg Robinson OT

#5- Khalil Mack OLB

#6- Sammy Watkins WR

#7- Eric Ebron TE

#8- Teddy Bridgewater QB

#9- Blake Bortles QB

#10- Timmy Jernigan DT

#11- Taylor Lewan OT

#12- Johnny Manziel QB

#13- C.J. Mosley LB

#14- Marqise Lee WR

#15- Mike Evans WR

http://insider.espn....ebuts-big-board

I am trying to figure out how there are not questions about Clowney???? The guy has great plays and then disappears....i think he is a special player, but certainly not an unquestioned #1 overall.

And i have a very hard time seeing Manziel dropping to #12....

Edited by Garranimal

I am trying to figure out how there are not questions about Clowney???? The guy has great plays and then disappears....i think he is a special player, but certainly not an unquestioned #1 overall.

I think Clowney is getting a pass because he apparently had some nagging injuries. He is a size, speed and athleltic freak, not the same player but I am reminded of Mario Williams when he went number 1 overall. His type of athletic specs can't be taught and dont come around that often. Megaton was the same way and to a lesser extent Suh.

The more I think about it, I would be OK with the Bills trading up for Clowney, despite other holes. He would be the only player I can say this about, especially if there is a run on QBs and the Bills only have to jump a few slots. Not likely but you never know. The D line is already pretty good but I believe he will be a great player.

Edited by agardin

I think Clowney is getting a pass because he apparently had some nagging injuries. He is a size, speed and athleltic freak, not the same player but I am reminded of Mario Williams when he went number 1 overall. His type of athletic specs can't be taught and dont come around that often. Megaton was the same way and to a lesser extent Suh.

He will rise after combine i bet. he is already the # 1 defensive pick in general

Here's Bortles stats from this year: 259 for 382, 3,581, 67.8%, 9.37 ypa, 25 tds, 9 ints, 163.4 QB rating, 87 rushes for 272 yards, 3.1 ypc, 6 tds. http://espn.go.com/c...9/blake-bortles

Here's EJ's final season: 263 for 387, 3,392 yards, 68%, 8.8 ypa, 23 tds, 10 ints, 156 QB rating, 103 rushes for 310, 3 ypc, 4 tds. http://espn.go.com/n...llege/ej-manuel

EJ played in the ACC while Bortles played in the American Conference. Yet, EJ was a reach as a 1st round and Bortles is a top 10 pick??? :wacko: Yeah, this QB class is very overrated.

Doesn't that work both ways, CB? You could say EJ was surrounded by some talent that won the National Championship the next year and Bortles was surrounded by guys that went to the American Conference instead of the ACC or SEC.

What do you think of Gabriel's opinion given the parallels in these stats?

the Big Board is based strictly on talent......it does not account for a QB premium

The only people who have questions about Clowney are people who don't watch him play. Dude was double/triple teamed every single down. In one play against Wisconsin, FOUR players chipped on him (2 OL, TE, RB) to keep him from the QB. Run plays were ran directly at him with double or triple teams, or outside runs away from him to make sure he didn't make backside plays.

He literally had opposing OCs changing blocking schemes and play styles to neutralize him. He's a freak.

The only people who have questions about Clowney are people who don't watch him play. Dude was double/triple teamed every single down. In one play against Wisconsin, FOUR players chipped on him (2 OL, TE, RB) to keep him from the QB. Run plays were ran directly at him with double or triple teams, or outside runs away from him to make sure he didn't make backside plays.

He literally had opposing OCs changing blocking schemes and play styles to neutralize him. He's a freak.

the dude takes plays off, had some conditioning issues and even had had the HBC questioning his desire to play football....those are questions. Is he a great player, no doubt, might he have some desire and internal drive issues....possibly maybe. With the new rook salary cap, he is worth the risk because teams don't have to give up 50mil+ to take a test drive. Edited by Garranimal

• 4 weeks later...

Report: Texans eyeing Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel with No. 1 pick in NFL draft

If I had to bet money I would bet on bortles. He likes his size and arm and he played under O'Leary who was a big mentor for O'Brien

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/04/houston-texans-nfl-draft-2014-blake-bortles-johnny-manziel/?eref=sihp

I'm eyeing his girlfriend, Lindsay Duke.

The Bills WILL NOT pick a QB at 9. They have Manuel, Lewis and Tuel......will probably add a veteran or two. They will go forward with Manuel. Ridiculous to give up on him after one year.

Most of us already know this....some are a little outspoken on that IMO.

Year after can think about that if need be. Jmo.

The Bills WILL NOT pick a QB at 9. They have Manuel, Lewis and Tuel......will probably add a veteran or two. They will go forward with Manuel. Ridiculous to give up on him after one year.

Especially for a guy who essentially is this year's version of Manuel. It's madness!!!