Blake Bortles: Do the Bills take a shot at 9 ? Turns Pro

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why not, he is very promising if he's there, but I doubt he will be. Just because EJ was drafted last year doe snot mean the Bills are all set, not by a long shot. Even if you draft Bortles, and both QBs develop into quality NFL caliber players, is that not a good position to be in?

I am trying to figure out how there are not questions about Clowney???? The guy has great plays and then disappears....i think he is a special player, but certainly not an unquestioned #1 overall.

And i have a very hard time seeing Manziel dropping to #12....

Clowney was in a weird spot this year. If he was allowed to enter the draft last year like he wanted to he would of been the #st overall pick, no question. This year he did disappear in games but I think he was more interested in not getting hurt then giving 100% effort. I would love it if he dropped to the Bills but there is noway that will happen.

I don't see why not, he is very promising if he's there, but I doubt he will be. Just because EJ was drafted last year doe snot mean the Bills are all set, not by a long shot. Even if you draft Bortles, and both QBs develop into quality NFL caliber players, is that not a good position to be in?

Honest question - what does Bortles do that EJ can't? Seriously, they had the same physical skill set and put up the same #s (and BB plays in a worse conference).

Personally, some fans have the mentality of a 13 year old. The new thing is always better. Patience is dead. And the idea that you can develop 2 QBs really doesn't work. Once it becomes clear who the starter is, they get all the reps. Plus, thanks to RJ, AJ Feeley, Charlie Whitehurst, Kolb, Flynn, the days of trading high picks for backups is done. See Cousins, Kirk. Teams aren't going to give up picks for backups because there have been so many awful trades. So in a best case scenario, you are burning a 1st round pick for at best a 4th rounder in the future. Would you make that trade?

Lindsay Duke is freaking solid!

Blake Bustles....meh.

And for the record, I would do so in a heartbeat. I'm just saying there's a lot of girls like that around. honestly would people be as impressed if she didn't have the giant fake rack?

Why ignore all the other positions ? Have you seen the 49ers or Seahawks ?

Qb in round 1 at this time is a terrible play IMO.

Why ignore all the other positions ? Have you seen the 49ers or Seahawks ?

Qb in round 1 at this time is a terrible play IMO.

Part of the reason those teams are great is because their QBs are on 2nd and 3rd round contracts. Do I think EJ Manuel could win a playoff game passing for 100 yards like Wilson did against the Saints with the Hawks defense? Yes, I do.

I don't think Bortles falls past Jax at 3. I think he could go anywhere between 1 and 3 if someone trades up to STL's spot. I could see Houston taking him as well but I think Browns will trade up for Manziel at 1 or 2. I wonder if Houston signs Cassell since O'Brien coached him in the past, and then takes one of the second-tier QBs in the draft like Mettenberger in a later round to develop, and goes with Clowney with their 1st. This is one of the more intriguing drafts in recent memory.

I don't think Bortles falls past Jax at 3. I think he could go anywhere between 1 and 3 if someone trades up to STL's spot. I could see Houston taking him as well but I think Browns will trade up for Manziel at 1 or 2. I wonder if Houston signs Cassell since O'Brien coached him in the past, and then takes one of the second-tier QBs in the draft like Mettenberger in a later round to develop, and goes with Clowney with their 1st. This is one of the more intriguing drafts in recent memory.

There was a tweet somewhere from the Houston beat reporter that basically said that people are crazy if they don't think that the Texans are taking a QB. I don't remember where I saw it but it seemed pretty definitive from his perspective.

There was a tweet somewhere from the Houston beat reporter that basically said that people are crazy if they don't think that the Texans are taking a QB. I don't remember where I saw it but it seemed pretty definitive from his perspective.

I think they will, but Cassell just voided his contract with MN a day or two ago to become a FA so it got me thinking about where he might go and O'Brien came to mind. If they signed him, he would fit that offense better than say, Manziel. It would allow them the ability to still take a QB but maybe later in the draft and bring him along more slowly instead of putting him in there right away. That said, Houston is the kind of team from what I can tell that is set up for a rookie to succeed right away with their fairly soft division, last place schedule, running game, WRs, TE and good defense. Just an interesting thought.... Edited by YoloinOhio

Good lord another Talleywhacker type :nana:

Sorry BB he won't be there at #9, as there are current mock drafts that already have your boy moving up to #3 (Rang has him going to the Jags @#3) and more impressively #1 overall by Brugler (whoever that is), and by SB Nation http://www.sbnation....t-blake-bortles

Some are already comparing him to another Andrew Luck :blink:

http://www.cbssports...raft/mock-draft

I just don't see the Texans drafting anyone other the Johnny football, as the Houston fans will want to string up the GM if they do.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Good lord another Talleywhacker type :nana:

Sorry BB he won't be there at #9, as there are current mock drafts that already have your boy moving up to #3 (Rang has him going to the Jags @#3) and more impressively #1 overall by Brugler (whoever that is), and by SB Nation http://www.sbnation....t-blake-bortles

Some are already comparing him to another Andrew Luck :blink:

http://www.cbssports...raft/mock-draft

I just don't see the Texans drafting anyone other the Johnny football, as the Houston fans will want to string up the GM if they do.

Saw that Luck article yesterday.... interesting.

I figure we're committed to seeing what EJ can do and we need one of the two outstanding tackles that will be available or one of the OLB's (Kahlil Mack) more. Except Bortles if he makes it to nine would be very tempting. Close call.

It would be... but I think they will take advantage of that by trading the pick to another team who is drafting lower but wants a QB, like Tennessee.

I figure we're committed to seeing what EJ can do and we need one of the two outstanding tackles that will be available or one of the OLB's (Kahlil Mack) more. Except Bortles if he makes it to nine would be very tempting. Close call.

You guys gotta understand that 8 teams that draft ahead of Buffalo 5 are desperate for that "franchise QB"

1. Texans-NEED! Manziel
  2. Rams-Sam Bradford- DE Clowney
  3. Jags-NEED! Bortles
  4. Browns-NEED! Bridgewater
  5. Raiders-NEED! Carr
  6. Falcons- Matt Ryan- OT Greg Robinson
  7. Buc's - might want to change QB's with new coaching staff Lovie Smith might want a new QB? LBer Mack
  8. Vikings-NEED!? draft a rookie QB in the 2nd?
  9. Bills-

The Bills should be in great position to trade back should one of those QB's be there @#9. I kinda doubt it tho.

However, they will have their pick of one of the top 3 WR's, top 4 OT's, top 3 LBers.

You guys gotta understand that 8 teams that draft ahead of Buffalo 5 are desperate for that "franchise QB"

1. Texans-NEED! Manziel

2. Rams-Sam Bradford- DE Clowney

3. Jags-NEED! Bortles

4. Browns-NEED! Bridgewater

5. Raiders-NEED! Carr

6. Falcons- Matt Ryan- OT Greg Robinson

7. Buc's - might want to change QB's with new coaching staff Lovie Smith might want a new QB? LBer Mack

8. Vikings-NEED!? draft a rookie QB in the 2nd?

9. Bills-

The Bills should be in great position to trade back should one of those QB's be there @#9. I kinda doubt it tho.

However, they will have their pick of one of the top 3 WR's, top 4 OT's, top 3 LBers.

I definitely think QB for the Vikes is a need. I think they will take the Best QB available or possibly trade up. TB is a question mark, Lovie wasn't sold on llama boy based on his interviews when he was hired and he ws only a 3rd rd pick last year so could see them taking one in the first if they had one very high on their board and he was there.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Honest question - what does Bortles do that EJ can't? Seriously, they had the same physical skill set and put up the same #s (and BB plays in a worse conference).

Personally, some fans have the mentality of a 13 year old. The new thing is always better. Patience is dead. And the idea that you can develop 2 QBs really doesn't work. Once it becomes clear who the starter is, they get all the reps. Plus, thanks to RJ, AJ Feeley, Charlie Whitehurst, Kolb, Flynn, the days of trading high picks for backups is done. See Cousins, Kirk. Teams aren't going to give up picks for backups because there have been so many awful trades. So in a best case scenario, you are burning a 1st round pick for at best a 4th rounder in the future. Would you make that trade?

I got to the bolded part then my ADHD kicked in and I needed to go play flappy birds on my phone.

I just can't see there being less than 3 QBs taken before we get on the clock, which means he is most likely gone. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be surprised by 4 or more. There are a lot of QB hungry teams out there, and no real stop-gap solutions in FA, so teams will reach for QBs. I don't think there's any chance he's still around when we're on the clock.

I definitely think QB for the Vikes is a need. I think they will take the Best QB available or possibly trade up. TB is a question mark, Lovie wasn't sold on llama boy based on his interviews when he was hired and he ws only a 3rd rd pick last year so could see them taking one in the first if they had one very high on their board and he was there.

Yea. so that could be 6 QB's desired in the top 8. Plus the NY Jets have stated they aren't sold on Geno Smith as the starter and may try and grab one of the top 4. Then I'd have to wonder if Carson Palmer is really the man in Arizona or do the cards want a new QB?

Anyway, should one of those top four QB's fall to Buffalo they could be in position to get some really good picks for that #9 spot.

Yea. so that could be 6 QB's desired in the top 8. Plus the NY Jets have stated they aren't sold on Geno Smith as the starter and may try and grab one of the top 4. Then I'd have to wonder if Carson Palmer is really the man in Arizona or do the cards want a new QB?

Anyway, should one of those top four QB's fall to Buffalo they could be in position to get some really good picks for that #9 spot.

AZ is one of those teams who should take a QB and have the luxury to develop behind Palmer. Would not be surprised to see them take a guy like Jimmy Garaoppolo in the 2nd. Arians loves developing QBs. Edited by YoloinOhio