leave replacements out of hall of fame (reinduct rush if you have to)

yep. i said it.

i take no vindication or validation in knowing the replacements are up for induction into the rock and roll hall of fame.

after all these years flying under the radar, this is hardly an "honor."

they're good. always have been. and i don't need some sellout body on the shores of lake erie that's inducted the likes of genesis to tell me something i don't know.

i am, after all, an anti-establishment contrarian who latched on to an anti-establishment contrarian group that went mostly unnoticed.

at this point, i'd prefer to keep it that way. why class up a joint that has a dubious history of inducting both greats and sellouts.

and to think, the remaining members of the 'mats would have the opportunity to go on stage with nirvana, a band they influenced, and hall and oates, a pop act. a good pop act, but not a rock and roll act.

all this smacks of desperation.

if inducted, i hope the 'mats decline. heck, i would almost expect no less.

jw

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep. i said it.

i take no vindication or validation in knowing the replacements are up for induction into the rock and roll hall of fame.

after all these years flying under the radar, this is hardly an "honor."

they're good. always have been. and i don't need some sellout body on the shores of lake erie that's inducted the likes of genesis to tell me something i don't know.

i am, after all, an anti-establishment contrarian who latched on to an anti-establishment contrarian group that went mostly unnoticed.

at this point, i'd prefer to keep it that way. why class up a joint that has a dubious history of inducting both greats and sellouts.

and to think, the remaining members of the 'mats would have the opportunity to go on stage with nirvana, a band they influenced, and hall and oates, a pop act. a good pop act, but not a rock and roll act.

all this smacks of desperation.

if inducted, i hope the 'mats decline. heck, i would almost expect no less.

jw

I was thinking of how hilarious it would be for them and Nirvana to get in with Hall and Oates.

Take it easy, aging hipster. We all know you liked the Replacements before it was cool.

that's the thing. i could have become a 'Mats fan yesterday when they weren't cool. why bestow a semblance of "cool-ness" on them now?

the ramones were always "cool." so were the pixies. and good god, radiohead.

i've spent far more time explaining the 'mats to people who've never heard of them and probably never gave them a listen after the conversation.

and now, this? seems a bit too contrived coming now.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

I was thinking of how hilarious it would be for them and Nirvana to get in with Hall and Oates.

I think it'd be funny ot see Nirvana, Hall and Oats, run DMC, The Surpremes, David Bowie, and Lynard Skynard on a wall. The Rock and Wall Hall of Fame is a joke.

that's the thing. i could have become a 'Mats fan yesterday when they weren't cool. why bestow a semblance of "cool-ness" on them now?

i've spent far more time explaining the 'mats to people who've never heard of them and probably never gave them a listen after the conversation.

jw

I get your point. Inducting them doesn't make much sense to me either. I was just giving you a hard time.

A mildly amusing side note, my introduction to the Replacements was in a song called The Replacements which is about a guy wondering how he just discovered a band "old enough to be his parents". Its kinda catchy.

its simply an acknowledgement of their value and influence on the music that we all listen to and love today...nothing more, nothing less...now a star on the hollywood walk of fame, that is contrived. 'Mats, Hall & Oates, Nirvanna, Chic & The Meters, Yes and Peter Gabriel, in a place where they all belong...

jw

Telling people why you like a particular band (especially one you consider cool :rolleyes: ) or as you put it "explaining them" is as snobbish as telling people who don't drink wine how great the 2000 Bordeaux vintage was. To me (and this may just be me) music is best experienced a) alone in my car or with headphones cranked to 11 or b) with 3,000 other rabid fans. It's personal. With I try to share them? Sure but explain them? Probably not

Oh and Hall and Oates? Now they're cool. :D

its simply an acknowledgement of their value and influence on the music that we all listen to and love today...nothing more, nothing less...now a star on the hollywood walk of fame, that is contrived. 'Mats, Hall & Oates, Nirvanna, Chic & The Meters, Yes and Peter Gabriel, in a place where they all belong...

I guess, despite JWs whining, the question remains that if you were creating a hall of fame to honor those musicians what would you call it? I hate genre defining and boxing people in but do you really think that rock n roll is the best descriptor? I'd be hardpressed to say what the whole thing stands for at this point. Ll cool j, hall and Oates and nirvana? The replacements and Peter Gabriel?

It just doesn't add up, even if you respect their careers/talent.

The Replacements are the last rock n'roll band I really loved...could care less if they are in the HOF or not...and I won't begrudge them if they show up and accept the accolades. I don't think it will boost their record catalog sales much...people who have always loved them will still enjoy their music, and people who have never heard of them will not care...just be thankful, should they accept, that they didn't make it in the same year as the Red Hot Chilli Peppers or all the other horrendous 90's LA bands that have been part of the "all-star jam" at the end of the ceremony...your memories of Westerberg won't be forever tainted by seeing him suck up (or be sucked up to) by the likes of Flea, Dave Navarro and Slash! Though, it would be cool to see Tom Petty induct them, and admit that he stole one of his most famous lines ("rebel without a clue") from Westerberg...

Personally, I think Westerberg (lets face it, this is about recoginizing him as much as the Replacements) is one of the great rock-n'roll songwriters of all time... he should reap some of the benefits (whatever those are) while he is still alive. When there is a country all-star tirbute to the Replacements, with Travis Tritt singing "If Only You Were Lonely" than you can worry about street-cred...

Telling people why you like a particular band (especially one you consider cool :rolleyes: ) or as you put it "explaining them" is as snobbish as telling people who don't drink wine how great the 2000 Bordeaux vintage was. To me (and this may just be me) music is best experienced a) alone in my car

Not unlike how I enjoy my 2000 Bordeauxs...

Haulin' Oats is nominated for the R&R hall of fame? :wacko:

I think it'd be funny ot see Nirvana, Hall and Oats, run DMC, The Surpremes, David Bowie, and Lynard Skynard on a wall. The Rock and Wall Hall of Fame is a joke.

This x 1,000,000.

Linda Ronstadt is in the same nomination class as KISS. I looked at a list of inductees. Madonna, Miles Davis and Nat King Cole are in ... and we're still waiting for KISS to get in??

Linda Ronstadt, Madonna, Miles Davis, Nat King Cole .... are they hall of fame musicians? You bet your ass they are.

They are NOT, however, Hall of Fame Rock and Roll musicians.

Putting Nat King Cole in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is like putting Derek Jeter in the NFL Hall of Fame just because he's a great athlete.

This place is a sham.

This x 1,000,000.

Linda Ronstadt is in the same nomination class as KISS. I looked at a list of inductees. Madonna, Miles Davis and Nat King Cole are in ... and we're still waiting for KISS to get in??

Linda Ronstadt, Madonna, Miles Davis, Nat King Cole .... are they hall of fame musicians? You bet your ass they are.

Putting Nat King Cole in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is like putting Derek Jeter in the NFL Hall of Fame just because he's a great athlete.

This place is a sham.

Hard not to agree with this. The museum part is cool to visit and walk through if you are a big music fan but the inductions are definitely a bunch of music industry generated BS.

Not the most decipherable version of English but I love this letter the Sex Pistols sent to them in response to an induction.

Sex_pistols.gif

Hard not to agree with this. The museum part is cool to visit and walk through if you are a big music fan but the inductions are definitely a bunch of music industry generated BS.

Not the most decipherable version of English but I love this letter the Sex Pistols sent to them in response to an induction.

Sex_pistols.gif

This is awesome! Here is the text for people Beerball's age ...

Next to the SEX-PISTOLS rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain. Your museum. Urine in wine. Were not coming. Were not your monkey and so what? Fame at $25,000 if we paid for a table, or $15000 to squeak up in the gallery, goes to a non-profit organisation selling us a load of old famous. Congradulations. If you voted for us, hope you noted your reasons. Your anonymous as judges, but your still music industry people. Were not coming. Your not paying attention. Outside the ****-stem is a real SEX PISTOL

This x 1,000,000.

This place is a sham.

Funny, just a week or so ago, I was reading an interview with Linda Ronstadt from about 3 years ago...she, essentially said she could give a !@#$ about the rock-n' roll hall of fame, she never considered herself a "rock artist", but just a singer of songs, no matter the genre. She won numerous Grammys during her hey-dey, but doesn't have any of them....she claims she has no idea where most of them are..but she gave one to a record store owner in LA, and left the last one she received in the back seat of a rental car.

To your point Gungy, they really should call it the "music hall of fame" or "popular music hall of fame". Nat King Cole and Linda Rondstadt certainly had a large impact on rock music, though they weren't necessarily hardcore rock artists, like KISS. I think there are conflicting notions about what is 'rock" music, and what is "pop" music.

The line has been blurred too many times, for too many years to make a distinction. For all intents and purposes, if you really need to have strict definitions of what is what, you could almost say that Chuck Berry, Elvis, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins, etc etc (the 50's guys) and everything that came after is not really rock-'n'roll. Bands like the Stones and Led Zepp, borrowed as heavily from the blues or country as they did from "rock" music. Yet, it would be ludicrous to say they are not rock artists...as time passes, things, sounds, get added...

Sex_pistols.gif

I would actually be more inclined to want John Lydon in a rock n'roll HOF for his work with PIL than the Pistols. They were a very important band, IMO, for mostly the wrong reasons. Their impact on the industry is bigger than their impact on music, IMO. Ironic, since Lydon still rages agaisnt the machine at every chance...there were other punk bands, not as iconic, but much better bands than the short lived Pistols. I actually saw their snub of the Rock HOF as much as a publicity stunt (their strongest suit) as a real statement about their standing with their place in the industry, or their place in rock-n'roll history.

Edited by Buftex

The biggest test will be if George Strait and Garth Brooks makes it. Brooks has no reason not to make it but George has had a much longer career and arguably more impact on the country music genre. For that matter Alabama deserves to be nominated.

I don't have the list but am curious if the Oak Ridge Boys are in it.

The biggest test will be if George Strait and Garth Brooks makes it. Brooks has no reason not to make it but George has had a much longer career and arguably more impact on the country music genre. For that matter Alabama deserves to be nominated.

I don't have the list but am curious if the Oak Ridge Boys are in it.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/alphabetical/A/

Oak Ridge Boys are not.

Why would Garth Brooks have any right to be in any Hall of Fame other than "The Bubble Gum Country Crap" Hall of Fame with Shania Twain ?

like it out not he has the sales to justify it

Sales do not = talent. Talent should be the only criteria to get into any Hall of Fame.

If it was about sales, Justin Beiber and Maroon 5 would be legends.

Sales do not = talent. Talent should be the only criteria to get into any Hall of Fame.

impact on the industry is a factor, and sales can be (certainly isnt always) a barometer of how much an artist shaped the music industry. in brooks case, i think its a fair point for boyst to make (though i dont agree hes rock n roll and therefor shouldnt be in the discussion)

Well...they will be eligible at some point...how much longer does Britney Spears have to be eligible...another 5-10?

I can't go for that.....

And what's all this about Keanu Reeves going into the HOF? They had a couple lucky wins and that was it.

How on earth do you judge talent? It's all bull ****! Just like the Academy Awards, Tony's, Emmy's, Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's an industry circle jerk. I like what I like, you like what you like and who gives a flying flip what anyone else likes.

How on earth do you judge talent? It's all bull ****! Just like the Academy Awards, Tony's, Emmy's, Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's an industry circle jerk. I like what I like, you like what you like and who gives a flying flip what anyone else likes.

Are you asking me for advice on how you should judge talent, Jim?

How on earth do you judge talent?

Duh, this is an easy one. What I like is good music by talented musicians. When others agree with me they also enjoy good music by talented musicians. When they disagree they like industry marketed crap and have no taste.

are y'all really trying to tell me that these aren't the faces of Rock & Roll hall of famers????? (for the record, i think they belong and i am a big fan of theirs)...by the way, is J. Geils in the HoF?

Guess not

"In September 2010 it was announced that The J. Geils Band was a finalist nominee for selection to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Class Of 2011, but were not selected for induction that year."

Edited by The Poojer

Duh, this is an easy one. What I like is good music by talented musicians. When others agree with me they also enjoy good music by talented musicians. When they disagree they like industry marketed crap and have no taste.

Holy crap that's EXACTLY how I judge musical talent.

By the number of texts Fox receives in the two hours after airing.

So the same way we pick a President and prom queen?

and yet, as you've noted in regards to the Hall of Fame being a sham, some of the previous "inductees" fail to pass the smell vs. sales test. ... i'm agreeing with you. the line has been blurred far too much and far too often to question anything the Hall of Fame does in choosing its inductees.

jw

All the same arguments many die hard Rush fans (myself included) used as to why Rush should snub the Hall once they got in. In the end when Geddy Lee was asked about the possibility of snubbing the Hall his response was "That's not a very gracious way to respond to an honor".....and he's right. If the Replacements get in, they will attend and be inducted by a band or someone that they respect, play in the jam and enjoy the experience.

If the Replacements get in, they will attend and be inducted by a band or someone that they respect, play in the jam and enjoy the experience.

don't be too sure of that. i would be greatly disappointed if that happened.

it would go entirely against the grain of everything they stood for and against.

Rush reflects the canadian mentality, overjoyed to be recognized. the 'mats have been and remain an entirely contrarian different beast, from pissing off lorne michaels -- another canadian -- to pissing off nearly every record executive during a fall-down-drunk show at CBGBs, to, more recently, Paul wearing a canadiens jersey for the encore in toronto.

in the spirit of rock and roll -- and not the spirit of radio, which did more for rush than ever recognizing the 'mats -- a big fat finger in the air is how any potential induction should be greeted.

respect? the 'mats have it. they don't need some silly honor in some fancy facade on the shores of lake erie for mere validation.

jw