Carpenter VS Hopkins - Which would you like to keep?

beggar13

Was just curious as to what the consensus was on this. After the first miss in the first game of the season, I was cursing him like crazy and wanted him gone. Since then however, he's been perfect if I'm not mistaken. Do we go with the "If it ain't broke" approach and risk losing Hopkins to another team, or opt for youth at this time, take our inevitable lumps, and hope he doesn't turn into another Shawn Powell?

You stay with Carpenter while he is hot. When he turns cold you unleash Hopkins. It's very simple actually. Hopkins was drafted to be the guy and he has an excellent pedigree and resume. He will be the kicker someday here and hopefully work out. In the meantime you ride Carpenter until the wheels fall off.

Carpenter has been money on FGs, including two from 50+, but is very Lindell-like on KOs. With Hopkins, you're probably losing a couple of made FGs but nearly every KO should be through the end zone. Which is more important?

For my money, it's hard to sit a K who is making everything -- which Carpenter has done since his very first attempt.

Carpenter has been money on FGs, including two from 50+, but is very Lindell-like on KOs. With Hopkins, you're probably losing a couple of made FGs but nearly every KO should be through the end zone. Which is more important?

For my money, it's hard to sit a K who is making everything -- which Carpenter has done since his very first attempt.

I prefer a Lindell-type on kickoffs with the way the coverage has been playing.

Also:

FOR THE LAST TIME: THEY CAN'T PUT HOPKINS ON THE IR! HE DOESN'T HAVE A SEASON-ENDING INJURY. IF THEY IR'D HOPKINS, THE NFLPA WOULD SUE THE BILLS AND THE BILLS WOULD LOSE.

Edited by DStebb716

I prefer a Lindell-type on kickoffs with the way the coverage has been playing.

Also:

FOR THE LAST TIME: THEY CAN'T PUT HOPKINS ON THE IR! HE DOESN'T HAVE A SEASON-ENDING INJURY. IF THEY IR'D HOPKINS, THE NFLPA WOULD SUE THE BILLS AND THE BILLS WOULD LOSE.

If Hopkins is still injured he can be put on IR. He'd still receive his full salary, so why would he or the NFLPA sue?

I actually seem to remember him missing his first attempt, but regardless, he's been great for us.

OK, to your other point, if everyone likes Carpenter, and he's very similar to Lindell, should we have not just kept Lindell? I'm guessing if anything that we saved some money by going this route by signing Carpenter. It's interesting the Lindell beat out Carpenter for the Tampa Bay job and ended up here now that I think about it.

Edited by beggar13

IMO, IR Hopkins and keep Carpenter at this point in the season.

I think this is the best way to handle the situation. Give the year to Carpenter to prove himself. He's still young and he could still find that consistency that he lacked playing for the turd phins.

Carpenter is 27, guess what age Lindell was when Seattle cut him because they thought he was not going to get better? 26.

Sucks for Hopkins but this is the NFL, it waits for no one.