Bills QB search - Dixon, White visit, Carr talked with, Freeman out

I can't imagine any team is going to give Freeman anywhere close to what he thinks he deserves on a long term deal at this point in the season. Therefore I can't imagine he is going to sign any deal other than a one year one, especially because he gets paid by the Bucs. I still think the Bills offer the best opportunity to start right away and play a bunch of games, with a good D and a good running game. If he is playing well, the team brings EJ back slowly. Even if he plays lights out and then the bills decide to play EJ when he is healthy, that is almost the best case scenario for Freeman to get a great deal next year outside of leading a team to a playoff victory and what are e realistic chances of that right now?

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. His competition in Minn. is Ponder and Cassell, both of whom have had time as starters in the league. A great running game with AP,yes, but a 1-3 team whose coach could be on the way out. His competition in Buffalo is a 1st round rookie with all of five starts and two knee injuries. And an UDFA in Tuel with zero starts and no arm. Marrone is a new HC who will be given some time. A long term situation is possible given the relative inexperience of the competition. The 2nd best running game in the NFL doesn't hurt either. SF seems to make the least sense as Kaepernick is pretty solid. A solid showing in Buff. could lead to a long term deal here or elsewhere in March. This seems a better opportunity to cash in.

Unless Freeman plays like the 2nd coming of P. Manning I think you are way off. It would take a huge performance to oust the 1st pick of both Marrone and Whaley and the first QB in the draft when all the "experts" figured Geno should be the first. Taking over for Ponder is the smoothest path to a starting job, and he gets A.P. to boot.

Unless Freeman plays like the 2nd coming of P. Manning I think you are way off. It would take a huge performance to oust the 1st pick of both Marrone and Whaley and the first QB in the draft when all the "experts" figured Geno should be the first. Taking over for Ponder is the smoothest path to a starting job, and he gets A.P. to boot.

The thing is, he is not going to get a great long term deal from them right now. He has just as likely or more likely chance of playing well for the bills and then getting a great long term deal from the Vikes when they give up on Ponder by the end of the year. I don't think he would come in and start right away over cassell or ponder when ponder comes back next week.

He just has better physical skills than Tuel. Tuel has extremely limited upside in that his arm strength is atrocious. He may end up as a smart game manager but I do not think that he can mow this team. I just don't think that he is capable of making enough plays. Pat White can make some plays. He isn't perfect but if he makes a handful o plays a game with his arm or feet than we can win with good defense. I am not sure that Tuel can get 17 points on the board. To me, he is a much better option. He isn't Freeman but you wouldn't have to go far on that list of guys to get to White. I had him after Freeman and VY. I will take my chance with a talented guy with a small résumé over a guy that has proven that he stinks (ie Edwards, Carr, etc...)

Thing is, we aren't talking about what you, me, or any other poster would, should, or could do. We are talking about what we think the BILLS will do.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I can't imagine any team is going to give Freeman anywhere close to what he thinks he deserves on a long term deal at this point in the season. Therefore I can't imagine he is going to sign any deal other than a one year one, especially because he gets paid by the Bucs. I still think the Bills offer the best opportunity to start right away and play a bunch of games, with a good D and a good running game. If he is playing well, the team brings EJ back slowly. Even if he plays lights out and then the bills decide to play EJ when he is healthy, that is almost the best case scenario for Freeman to get a great deal next year outside of leading a team to a playoff victory and what are e realistic chances of that right now?

I agree.

The clock is running on Marrone. If Freeman outplays EJ, I don't think they would go back to EJ. So if Freeman wants a multi-year contract, this scenario would work for him. On the other hand, if Freeman wants to be a free agent next year, he signs with the Bills for one year, with the opportunity to show how good he is. I think the Bills are the best option for him in either case.

I suppose. Then its either Dennis Dixon, Pat White or Tuel time. Not sure you don't just play Tuel and see what you have. Hard to imagine Tuel doesn't start next week in any event. All you need it 13 of 22 for 165 and no picks and we can win with run game, defense and our excellent special teams :).

The thing is, he is not going to get a great long term deal from them right now. He has just as likely or more likely chance of playing well for the bills and then getting a great long term deal from the Vikes when they give up on Ponder by the end of the year. I don't think he would come in and start right away over cassell or ponder when ponder comes back next week.

Right. At this time he has 3 teams he's interested in. Come March it could be half a dozen or more. Riding the pine somewhere is just waiting it out. He probably wants as many options as possible when this season ends as he was not in a camp with any of these teams. A chance to stay or leave in FA is probably a more desirable scenario. The Bills are really the only team of these 3 who can guarantee starts this season.

I expect Freeman to pick the Vikings. If I were him you have a shot at being the long term starter there. They were a playoff team last year and would be my preferred landing spot if Lacanfora is correct with his report.

In Buffalo once EJ is healthy he is the starter and would take back the job. I do see us being a better choice than the 49ers though.

Coming out of a disaster and starting on 6 days notice in a new system doesn't bode well for him looking good. That he'd be relied on so fast may even be a con in his book. Starting weeks 11-17 is waaaaay better than starting 6-11 if you are freeman.

Edited by NoSaint

Coming out of a disaster and starting on 6 days notice in a new system doesn't bode well for him looking good. That he'd be relied on so fast may even be a con in his book. Starting weeks 11-17 is waaaaay better than starting 6-11 if you are freeman.

While that is true, there is zero guarantee that he is going to play in Minnesota. Ponder is the ultimate tease. He is going to play just good enough where you aren't likely to bench him. Cassell, too, is a tease. There is just as good a chance Freeman plays zero games or one game on the Vikes as he does six. If he signs a one year deal, which he will, and you start him the last couple games, you lose Ponder, and Cassell, and probably Freeman at the end of the year, or two of the three with little guarantee any are going to be any good. The Vikes are in a tough spot.

I expect Freeman to pick the Vikings. If I were him you have a shot at being the long term starter there. They were a playoff team last year and would be my preferred landing spot if Lacanfora is correct with his report.

In Buffalo once EJ is healthy he is the starter and would take back the job. I do see us being a better choice than the 49ers though.

If that happens then the Bills front office has failed once again. Freeman was available for a song last week. A 6th or 7th speculated by John Clayton. Our FO knew they were an Manuel injury away from absolute disaster at QB. If they are unable to land him here as a FA, then this season going down the tubes completely is on them. Injuries happen at QB and the Kolb situation left us woefully thin. J Freeman becoming available for trade should have been pounced on. Now all hope is resting on JF's decision. Minnesota has two QB's that have won games. Hopefully Freeman sees Buffalo as a better opportunity to show his skills. He can hand off to CJ and Jackson all day and hit a few throws next week. Not such a bad situation. The field is littered with high first round QB's that didn't make the grade. Can't see him being too afraid of an injured Manuel right now. Tuel is a complete joke. This seems a chance to show his skills and either get a long term deal here or in FA next March. Time will tell.

Buffalo is the only place where freeman would play. Should be a no-brainer for him.

If that happens then the Bills front office has failed once again. Freeman was available for a song last week. A 6th or 7th speculated by John Clayton. Our FO knew they were an Manuel injury away from absolute disaster at QB. If they are unable to land him here as a FA, then this season going down the tubes completely is on them. Injuries happen at QB and the Kolb situation left us woefully thin. J Freeman becoming available for trade should have been pounced on. Now all hope is resting on JF's decision. Minnesota has two QB's that have won games. Hopefully Freeman sees Buffalo as a better opportunity to show his skills. He can hand off to CJ and Jackson all day and hit a few throws next week. Not such a bad situation. The field is littered with high first round QB's that didn't make the grade. Can't see him being too afraid of an injured Manuel right now. Tuel is a complete joke. This seems a chance to show his skills and either get a long term deal here or in FA next March. Time will tell.

You have to pay him his contract if you trade for him. That would have been a terrible move.

He just has better physical skills than Tuel. Tuel has extremely limited upside in that his arm strength is atrocious. He may end up as a smart game manager but I do not think that he can mow this team. I just don't think that he is capable of making enough plays. Pat White can make some plays. He isn't perfect but if he makes a handful o plays a game with his arm or feet than we can win with good defense. I am not sure that Tuel can get 17 points on the board. To me, he is a much better option. He isn't Freeman but you wouldn't have to go far on that list of guys to get to White. I had him after Freeman and VY. I will take my chance with a talented guy with a small résumé over a guy that has proven that he stinks (ie Edwards, Carr, etc...)

We are in general agreement. I agree that White is near the top of available FAs. It, however, is my view that NONE of the available FAs (besides Freeman and ****maybe***** Tebow's magic) give the Bills a realistic chance to win a game unless their defense is better than the 1985 Bears...

You have to pay him his contract if you trade for him. That would have been a terrible move.

Why? The Bills have one of, if not the lowest amount of cap $ tied up in QB's in the entire NFL. They could certainly afford it. Not a bad move at all for a team that has been wandering the wilderness at QB for over a decade. You have to cover your bases. Certainly a better move than throwing huge $ at a safety.

Why? The Bills have one of, if not the lowest amount of cap $ tied up in QB's in the entire NFL. They could certainly afford it. Not a bad move at all for a team that has been wandering the wilderness at QB for over a decade. You have to cover your bases. Certainly a better move than throwing huge $ at a safety.

You just don't cover your bases by trading for a 6$m player when you drafted a QB #1 and he was starting. Especially one that doesn't want to be a backup. I hated the idea of having Tuel, believe me. But a Freeman trade before the injury really would not be a bright thing with a team like this.

Not to mention, this isn't a QB who is a clear back-up, so it sends the wrong message to the team prior to EJ's injury.

He would have been a clear ,but capable backup for us right now. Next season would be next season. Did having Kolb send the wrong message? You haven't had a legitimate starting QB in forever. You are in the business of winning games not protecting players from hurt feelings. Competition is always good to elevate the level of play. These players all know they are a play away from starting or maybe being cut. They are competitors and teammates. When you don't have a QB you get as many possibles as you can. The Bills are in no position to ignore a potential talent at QB even if Manuel is healthy. There would have been nothing wrong with trading for Freeman last week if you are the Bills. A backup for now and possible starter if EJ is hurt or hits the skids. Just hedging your bets.

You just don't cover your bases by trading for a 6$m player when you drafted a QB #1 and he was starting. Especially one that doesn't want to be a backup. I hated the idea of having Tuel, believe me. But a Freeman trade before the injury really would not be a bright thing with a team like this.

You do if you're Buffalo and haven't seen the playoffs since the '99 season. The player has no say in the matter if it's a trade. Apparently he isn't opposed to being a backup this year if the Vikes are in the running. You owe it to the fans and organization to make the move if you're the Bills. If you are New England, it sends the wrong message.

The Bills have obviously shown upside this year. Receiving corp is improved, run game is fabulous (though we're obviously going to have to find a replacement for Freddy soon), D is nasty. It doesn't seem like a bad place to look.