Bills QB search - Dixon, White visit, Carr talked with, Freeman out

Freeman is the obvious choice but I doubt he chooses Buffalo. He wants to be a starter next year, and that's not going to happen in Buffalo. It will be Dixon.

You're presuming he wants a multiyear deal in 2013. I'm betting he wants an audition in 2013 so he can hit the market in 2014 with much better prospects and many more openings available.

Given that TB is paying a sizable amount for him to NOT be on their roster right now, I think the scenario I've outlined is highly plausible.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 3m

If the Bills don't land Josh Freeman, and I still suspect they won't, then they will be signing Pat White, who worked out for them today

Yipppeeee!! Can you say 2-8 (possibly more!) The FO had a cheap trade for Josh Freeman fall in their lap last week and didn't bite. It would sure seem like a stroke of genius today. A game of inches, even for the GM. This season could be an F even as an evaluatory period for Manuel. Josh freeman, where are you? The decision is coming soon, but almost like a close call by the zebras. Will the Bills win or lose? After further review the ruling is....

Why does he suspect we won't land Freeman?

This is probably just speculation by La Canfora as he has quoted no sources and is sticking to his position of yesterday. Probably just to be "right". He seems to have the typical anti Buffalo angle brought on by years of being a joke franchise. I doubt he spoke to Freeman or his agents though.

Can't comment anymore on freeman as this is stupid not to make it easy for him to sign with us for the year. I know it sounded funny before, but I'd love to see #4 back there for us. Given the others who all suck, why not tell Brett we'll give you 4 mil to be the hero for these weeks, and you can look like this great hero at the end of the year coaching EJ up as he goes back in.

I know I'll get ripped for this one but is a hell of a lot better than Carr, Tebow, Lewis, and so on.

This is probably just speculation by La Canfora as he has quoted no sources and is sticking to his position of yesterday. Probably just to be "right". He seems to have the typical anti Buffalo angle brought on by years of being a joke franchise. I doubt he spoke to Freeman or his agents though.

Or maybe he's using common sense. Why would Freeman come here when we just need a stop gap for a few weeks. Everyone knows EJ is our man for the foreseeable future.

Freeman wants to play and he can go to Oakland, Minnesota or Jacksonville and possibly for the rest of the year and beyond.

There's nothing anti Bills about it.

Can't comment anymore on freeman as this is stupid not to make it easy for him to sign with us for the year. I know it sounded funny before, but I'd love to see #4 back there for us. Given the others who all suck, why not tell Brett we'll give you 4 mil to be the hero for these weeks, and you can look like this great hero at the end of the year coaching EJ up as he goes back in.

I know I'll get ripped for this one but is a hell of a lot better than Carr, Tebow, Lewis, and so on.

Just picture Favre in his jets uniform, and that should be enough to dissuade you.

We'll know something's up with Favre if John Madden is spotted at the Buffalo Airport

Or maybe he's using common sense. Why would Freeman come here when we just need a stop gap for a few weeks. Everyone knows EJ is our man for the foreseeable future.

Freeman wants to play and he can go to Oakland, Minnesota or Jacksonville and possibly for the rest of the year and beyond.

Apparently it's down to Buffalo or Minnesota. Oak and JAX seem to be out of the running. Minnesota has two healthy QB's that have started in the league. The Bills have a rookie 1st round pick with an open ended knee injury and 5 starts to his name. If say Green Bay or Atlanta had an injury, he's a fill in for a few weeks. Buffalo? He starts right away and maybe for the forseeable future. He would probably have many potential suitors as a free agent next year. If he actually wants to play, Buffalo seems like the choice.

What is a "few" weeks. When they say 4-8 weeks, expect 8-10. They are not going to put Manuel back out there if he isn't 100%. If Freeman were to come in here and manage the miraculous and keep the Bills in playoff contention, then he will not be replaced by a healthy Manuel. If Freeman were to manage keeping the Bills close to .500 over the next 8 weeks, he'd be in great demand as a FA next year - possibly even here in Buffalo.

Apparently it's down to Buffalo or Minnesota. Oak and JAX seem to be out of the running. Minnesota has two healthy QB's that have started in the league. The Bills have a rookie 1st round pick with an open ended knee injury and 5 starts to his name. If say Green Bay or Atlanta had an injury, he's a fill in for a few weeks. Buffalo? He starts right away and maybe for the forseeable future. He would probably have many potential suitors as a free agent next year. If he actually wants to play, Buffalo seems like the choice.

I agree. This is an audition for freeman. He will go some place where he can start. He can come here and start maybe 5 games, and then sign a longterm deal in the off season somewhere else. Buffalo should be his only choice (though I don't particularly want him here).

Where did you see that?

Where did you see that?

What is a "few" weeks. When they say 4-8 weeks, expect 8-10. They are not going to put Manuel back out there if he isn't 100%. If Freeman were to come in here and manage the miraculous and keep the Bills in playoff contention, then he will not be replaced by a healthy Manuel. If Freeman were to manage keeping the Bills close to .500 over the next 8 weeks, he'd be in great demand as a FA next year - possibly even here in Buffalo.

Probably not Buffalo but I agree. The thing is, in Manuel's case, 4-8 is very likely 4. He's young, big, strong, smart, and a hard worker. Those guys simply heal faster. It's very likely the same reason he was on the earliest end of his preseason injury. They brought him back when he was ready, but not 100%, which was evident by him not running as well as his post game quotes. If Freeman were to come here and play well, they could let Freeman play an extra week or two until EJ were 100%.

Pretty much the best scenario possible for Freeman's career, outside of taking a team to a Super Bowl this year or just short of that, is to play 4-5 games for the Bills, and then be benched for Manuel when EJ came back in somewhat of a controversial decision. That would make his FA prospects skyrocket.

Probably not Buffalo but I agree. The thing is, in Manuel's case, 4-8 is very likely 4. He's young, big, strong, smart, and a hard worker. Those guys simply heal faster. It's very likely the same reason he was on the earliest end of his preseason injury. They brought him back when he was ready, but not 100%, which was evident by him not running as well as his post game quotes. If Freeman were to come here and play well, they could let Freeman play an extra week or two until EJ were 100%.

Pretty much the best scenario possible for Freeman's career, outside of taking a team to a Super Bowl this year or just short of that, is to play 4-5 games for the Bills, and then be benched for Manuel when EJ came back in somewhat of a controversial decision. That would make his FA prospects skyrocket.

This is what I have been thinking all along. I don't know why he would go to the 49ers unless he would like to have a seat on the bench for the foreseeabke future. That would show me he just wants a paycheck and isn't much of competitor. He is already getting paid his full salary by Tampa, so the money doesn't make a difference. I can see Minnesota... but he already said he wants a stable coaching unit and I think Frazier might be gone after this year if they don't pick it up soon.

Marrone said he'd be out a few weeks and then be evaluated. I'm taking his word over yours.

Again, it makes much more sense for Freeman to go to a team he can play the rest of the season with. He isn't doing that here unless he plays completely out of his mind and this team goes undefeated while a EJ is out. That is unlikely.

If your career depended on it, would you go to a place where you have a very limited window to show you still can play or get the chance to play another 10 games to show you can still play?

As Bills fans, we want him here. But putting yourself in his shoes, I go elsewhere.