Bills QB search - Dixon, White visit, Carr talked with, Freeman out

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone said he'd be out a few weeks and then be evaluated. I'm taking his word over yours.

Again, it makes much more sense for Freeman to go to a team he can play the rest of the season with. He isn't doing that here unless he plays completely out of his mind and this team goes undefeated while a EJ is out. That is unlikely.

If your career depended on it, would you go to a place where you have a very limited window to show you still can play or get the chance to play another 10 games to show you can still play?

As Bills fans, we want him here. But putting yourself in his shoes, I go elsewhere.

You go to a play you know you will play long enough to reestablish your credentials, that has a good defense and running game (or good WR). No team guarantees him the rest of the season. He may not play a down in MN. The teams that would start him, the Jags or maybe Raiders, could just as easily ruin him. If I were him, I think coming to the Bills is easily the best choice, unless the Vikes hand him the starter job which I highly, highly doubt.

If your career depended on it, would you go to a place where you have a very limited window to show you still can play or get the chance to play another 10 games to show you can still play?

As Bills fans, we want him here. But putting yourself in his shoes, I go elsewhere.

What makes you think he would start anytime soon in Minnesota? They have Ponder who was going to start last week if not for a minor injury, and Cassell who started and won. Both QB's have been there for all of camp, OTA;s etc. Doesn't seem he would find the field very soon. Seems he would be seeking a big payday next year, riding the pine in Minnesota wouldn't help that cause.

You go to a play you know you will play long enough to reestablish your credentials, that has a good defense and running game (or good WR). No team guarantees him the rest of the season. He may not play a down in MN. The teams that would start him, the Jags or maybe Raiders, could just as easily ruin him. If I were him, I think coming to the Bills is easily the best choice, unless the Vikes hand him the starter job which I highly, highly doubt.

That's the thing though. He isn't signing with a team unless he's going to play.

Minnesota was a playoff team and still has AP. I'm not sure that front office still feels strongly about Ponder and this could be their chance to replace him without risking a draft pick.

I think Freeman gives us the best chance to win while EJ is out. I just never considered it an actual possibility.

What makes you think he would start anytime soon in Minnesota? They have Ponder who was going to start last week if not for a minor injury, and Cassell who started and won. Both QB's have been there for all of camp, OTA;s etc. Doesn't seem he would find the field very soon. Seems he would be seeking a big payday next year, riding the pine in Minnesota wouldn't help that cause.

He isn't signing with anyone unless he plays though. That's my point. He's going to play for us but only until EJ comes back.

He's most likely looking for something longer than just a few games before he gets benched again.

Edited by Bangarang

He isn't signing with anyone unless he plays though. That's my point. He's going to play for us but only until EJ comes back.

He's most likely looking for something longer than just a few games before he gets benched again.

Where does he have a better shot to start than here? Seriously? If he gets his butt in B'Lo tomorrow, he will be starting at least 3-4 games and quite probably at least 1-2 more. What more could he ask from a playing perspective?

That's the thing though. He isn't signing with a team unless he's going to play.

Minnesota was a playoff team and still has AP. I'm not sure that front office still feels strongly about Ponder and this could be their chance to replace him without risking a draft pick.

I think Freeman gives us the best chance to win while EJ is out. I just never considered it an actual possibility.

You really think there is any chance the Vikings give Josh Freeman a guaranteed starting spot on a one year deal? They would lose all three QBs in all likelihood. No way Ponder or Cassell would want to be there. And Freeman would have to play well AND resign when he would be the hottest FA available if he played lights out. You couldn't franchise him. If you're the Vikes, I don't think you can offer Freeman playing time. Surely no guarantee. He's not clearly a better player (even though I would want him more than Ponder if I was starting a season.

Where does he have a better shot to start than here? Seriously? If he gets his butt in B'Lo tomorrow, he will be starting at least 3-4 games and quite probably at least 1-2 more. What more could he ask from a playing perspective?

I'm not saying he wouldn't start immediately.

I'm questioning whether there are other teams, like Oakland or Minnesota, that might be looking for a long term solution rather than a stop gap.

He won't start against Cincy. Even if he showed up at One Bills Drive at 5AM tomorrow. Freeman is going to have to learn the playbook and terminology and get some practice in before seeing the field. And Tuel is going to have to drop a massive deuce on the field that would make even JP Losman cringe for any new QB to take the field on short notice

I'm questioning whether there are other teams, like Oakland ,or Minnesota, that might be looking for a long term solution rather than a stop gap.

Exactly, but the Bills ARE that team. No proven backup, a starter that could be out for 2 months, and by the way he has started 5 NFL games. We hope that EJ Manuel becomes the franchise, but until then we are still looking for a long term solution.

He won't start against Cincy. Even if he showed up at One Bills Drive at 5AM tomorrow. Freeman is going to have to learn the playbook and terminology and get some practice in before seeing the field. And Tuel is going to have to drop a massive deuce on the field that would make even JP Losman cringe for any new QB to take the field on short notice

This just in, Deuce has been dropped. JF would be given a package of plays, run heavy, and start Sunday vs Bengals.

Exactly, but the Bills ARE that team. No proven backup, a starter that could be out for 2 months, and by the way he has started 5 NFL games. We hope that EJ Manuel becomes the franchise, but until then we are still looking for a long term solution.

This just in, Deuce has been dropped. JF would be given a package of plays, run heavy, and start Sunday vs Bengals.

I think so, too. Marrone said as much. Yes, he said it Friday but Freeman could get up to speed quick enough to give the Bills a better chance to win than Tuel.

Did you miss the end of Thursday's game against the Browns? :doh:

I'd even tell josh that if he outplays ej he stays in. Don't get me wrong I like ej but freeman is still young too and I want the best guy in there. Two good ones would be great, especially if they want to run the read option a lot..

This. For the Bills, potential of 2 good ones strongly increases the chances you will have a franchise QB. Could still be EJ in the end, but we've got to find a franchise guy. 2 young talented QB's would be a great situation.

Wow I thought for sure Freeman would go to Oakland. What happened that that's a no go now? Seemed like they wanted him and were ready to appoint him as the starter over Pryor and basically Pryor would be playing for his life tonight

Wow I thought for sure Freeman would go to Oakland. What happened that that's a no go now? Seemed like they wanted him and were ready to appoint him as the starter over Pryor and basically Pryor would be playing for his life tonight

I wonder too, won't have to stay up for the late game I guess