Bills QB search - Dixon, White visit, Carr talked with, Freeman out

He was 8-20 for 80 yards and a pick. Not to mention that he was being dared to throw and he still wasn't capable of making a play. He hurts the running game as well. It won't be hard to surpass what we saw Thursday. Those guys can both make some plays with their feet and have better arms. They can keep the chains moving better than Tuel.

I saw the game....he blew. I know that, you know that, we all know that, and I haven't indicated at all that I thought he played well. He was making his NFL debut, unexpectedly, on the road, mid-game, on the national stage. Some hardasses will say "that's his job" but easier said than done.

I'm not a big Jeff Tuel fan, and definitely wasn't one of those guys that wanted him to start ahead of EJ.

I think he can perform better with a week of preparation, and with the offense geared towards his strengths. No matter who the Qb is, the running game will obviously be the focus. Tuel will have more plays at his disposal, a little chemistry with the receivers, and the coaches already know what he does well (limited though they may be).

To say the Bengals will put 11 guys in the box is silly. Tuel doesn't have a big arm, but he can hit a WR with a couple steps on a Db downfield. He has nice touch, and throws a nice fade too.

Pat White and Dennis Dixon are unemployed for a reason, and I don't know that either is known for picking up offenses quickly (they may be, I don't know). I realize their strength is their athleticism, and that can be a big asset in these situations.

I am in no way claiming that he is going to do well, just that he may be the best option this coming week.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the game....he blew. I know that, you know that, we all know that, and I haven't indicated at all that I thought he played well. . I'm not a big Jeff Tuel fan, and definitely wasn't one of those guys that wanted him to start ahead of EJ.

I think he can perform better with a week of preparation, and with the offense geared towards his strengths. No matter who the Qb is, the running game will obviously be the focus. Tuel will have more plays at his disposal, a little chemistry with the receivers, and the coaches already know what he does well (limited though they may be).

To say the Bengals will put 11 guys in the box is silly. Tuel doesn't have a big arm, but he can hit a WR with a couple steps on a Db downfield. He has nice touch, and throws a nice fade too.

Pat White and Dennis Dixon are unemployed for a reason, and I don't know that either is known for picking up offenses quickly (they may be, I don't know). I realize their strength is their athleticism, and that can be a big asset in these situations.

I am in no way claiming that he is going to do well, just that he may be the best option this coming week.

I guess we just disagree. I don't think that he scares anyone, in any way even a little. I think that hurts the running game. I want Freeman. If not, I firmly believe that White and Dixon can make more plays than Tuel can (both with their feet and arms). I saw nothing from Tuel that made me think that he is capable of playing in this league. Neither of those guys is Peyton Manning but if they can make 6-7 good plays the team will have a chance. I just cannot see how they would sustain drives with Tuel. He has no arm strength and limited athletic ability. There is a reason that he was undrafted. Those other guys have some skills but limited resumes.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Peter King said Freeman's next stop will be "temporary". He will get a few starts and be a free agent after the season and find a permanent home. Sounds like BUF would be a good temporary home

This makes this seem logical...

FWIW:

@VegasWiseguy357

VERIFIED INFO...FA QB Josh Freeman will sign with Buffalo Bills and will likely start next Sunday's home game vs Bengals...(6:13p)PST

Another factor that Marrone needs to consider. He has preached that all jobs are open to competition. If whomever they bring in does a serviceable job, he cannot simply turn the reigns back to EJ, especially if they somehow are in playoff contention. To do so would remove all doubt that he is wedded to a personnel decision and not winning now. With free agents to be in Wood and Spiller, that could be problematic. The fo will tell us alot about there "new attitude" with how they approach the remainder of the season.

Go Bills

Another factor that Marrone needs to consider. He has preached that all jobs are open to competition. If whomever they bring in does a serviceable job, he cannot simply turn the reigns back to EJ, especially if they somehow are in playoff contention. To do so would remove all doubt that he is wedded to a personnel decision and not winning now. With free agents to be in Wood and Spiller, that could be problematic. The fo will tell us alot about there "new attitude" with how they approach the remainder of the season.

Go Bills

This situation is nowhere near the same as guys battling it out in training camp to earn their spot.

@john_kucko

According to @JasonLaCanfora, QB Josh Freeman contacted by numerous teams, narrows list to #Bills, 49ers and Vikings

It will be 49ers. He will want to go to a playoff team, And Who goes from warm Tampa to Cold Buffalo?

FWIW:

@VegasWiseguy357

VERIFIED INFO...FA QB Josh Freeman will sign with Buffalo Bills and will likely start next Sunday's home game vs Bengals...(6:13p)PST

How does this guy know that? Is this thing true.

Edited by Braedenstearns

It will be 49ers. He will want to go to a playoff team, And Who goes from warm Tampa to Cold Buffalo?

How does this guy know that? Is this thing true.

Why would a guy - seemingly trying to prove he's a starter - sign to be a back up? The playoffs are irrelevant if he's sitting on the bench.

Not really, string a few wins together with a shot at a playoff spot in sight, it will be difficult to justify going back to the ej experiment. The games he will miss 4 maybe 5 is a significant portion of this years project.

Go Bills

Go Bills

You should now change your name to "5putt". C.J. Spiller doesn't become a free agent until 2016 and Eric Wood signed a long term extension just prior to this season.

Why would a guy - seemingly trying to prove he's a starter - sign to be a back up? The playoffs are irrelevant if he's sitting on the bench.

Yeah, don't quite understand the 49ers as a potential spot unless its just to be around a team that is a SB contender. Vikings are his best spot because they seem done with Ponder and would love an upgrade. Come in and play a good few games and you have a starting job. in Buffalo, unless you blow the team away, your a starter until EJ comes back then your on the bench until they agree to release you for free or you become a FA this offseason

I'm biased because Patrick White is a handsome lad, but watching him this preseason, I think he could surprise many if he gets a starting shot here.

I'd also like to see Thad Lewis as the backup and try putting Tuel on the PS. Seriously, after his whining and awful play last week, get the kid off the roster. Please.