Bills QB search - Dixon, White visit, Carr talked with, Freeman out

The sky ain't falling, but it's certainly lower.

Up front, I don't really blame the Bills for the predicament they are in now. Their plan was to have Kolb be the veteran backup. When Kolb was hurt, there weren't any good veteran options left that would really give them a chance to win games or even be competitive, so they kept Tuel as the #2 QB so that he could get some practice reps - to see if he had talent to develop.

However, I truly do not see any QB, other than Freeman who would give the Bills even an outside chance of winning. I am afraid that we are likely to be 2-10 or worse by the time Manuel is healthy. Worse though, I worry that a long stretch with no viable QB will kill the fight in this team - something that they have shown a lot of to date. Unfortunately, the defense may grow weary of having to try to hold opponents scoreless and finally throw in the towel.

If defenses were overplayng the run with EJ in there, they will do more of that now. I also worry that they will completely wear Spiller and Jackson out over that time with effects of that over use that could linger into next year.

I try to remain positive, but this is a really horrible situation.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that everyone had their two cents on the QBs

"He sucks. he doesn't suck. "

Have we come to the realization that we need to sign two QBs not one?

Especially if iDennis Dixon is signed that dude is fragile.

Up front, I don't really blame the Bills for the predicament they are in now. Their plan was to have Kolb be the veteran backup. When Kolb was hurt, there weren't any good veteran options left that would really give them a chance to win games or even be competitive, so they kept Tuel as the #2 QB so that he could get some practice reps - to see if he had talent to develop.

However, I truly do not see any QB, other than Freeman who would give the Bills even an outside chance of winning. I am afraid that we are likely to be 2-10 or worse by the time Manuel is healthy. Worse though, I worry that a long stretch with no viable QB will kill the fight in this team - something that they have shown a lot of to date. Unfortunately, the defense may grow weary of having to try to hold opponents scoreless and finally throw in the towel.

If defenses were overplayng the run with EJ in there, they will do more of that now. I also worry that they will completely wear Spiller and Jackson out over that time with effects of that over use that could linger into next year.

I try to remain positive, but this is a really horrible situation.

That was the least positive thread I have read. It literally could not be any worse that what you wrote.

If all you people really think EJ hasn't done anything in there then how is Pat White a down grade? He can hand off to Spiller and Freddy and throw a pass here and there.

So whatever your winning record expectations were with EJ they shouldn't chang with a stop gap option; if you really think EJ has played poorly that is . . .

Edited by Why So Serious?

That was the least positive thread I have read. It literally could not be any worse that what you wrote.

If all you people really think EJ hasn't done anything in there then how is Pat White a down grade? He can hand off to Spiller and Freddy and throw a pass here and there.

So whatever your winning record expectations were with EJ they shouldn't chang with a stop gap option; if you really think EJ has played poorly that is . . .

I actually think Pat White or certainly Josh Freeman, would for the next month, be an upgrade over EJ. The kid is a raw rookie while White, and certainly Freeman know what they are doing in the NFL. If Freeman comes, which I doubt, our prospects actually improve for this season, no doubt. Freeman vs. EJ for October, at this moment I take Freeman hands down. Pat White can play. I live in D.C., and Shanahan really liked him, but he had an injury right around final cuts and he was a victim of his injury. If Shanahan says someone can play, they can play. So I am not so sure all is lost, this team was going to be a run and play defense team anyway, none of that changes. Just need someone to throw 20 balls a game .

Edited by 8and8Forever

That too. Schiano was more of a problem than Freeman, but imo, Tampa needed them both gone to move forward. They have a ton of talent.

But freeman isn't what you want. He has terrible work ethic and he won't work hard to learn the offense quickly like he should. Plus he is limited talent wise.

While I have heard rumors about Freeman's work ethic, I'm not sure about the truth of them. I have never heard that he is limited talent wise. Do you have links, facts to share with us about that. I don't mean just opinions, but actual evaluations. Please feel free to share.

However, I truly do not see any QB, other than Freeman who would give the Bills even an outside chance of winning.

I struggle with this. I do.

On the one hand, you're completely correct. Veteran QB FA were slim pickin's all preseason. When the Bills IR'd Kolb on August 30 or 31, there were no quality vets lurking about to be signed.

On the other hand, I find it hard not to blame the FO. I'll give them a pass on Fitz. He's arguably a better QB than Kolb or TJax (note to the rabid: I did say "arguably"). Having a demoted starter lurking about can be...awkward whilst the new face of the franchise tries to build relationships...especially one as personable and popular as Fitz evidently was with the team. Let him go, and move on.

But we had TJax signed, who has passed for >7000 yds and has a career record of breaking even on both W-L and TD-Int. Not a star or a starter, but a capable backup in the NFL. Kolb going out with some serious injury was absolutely predictable based upon his past history.

The only thing I can figure is that they really thought Tuel would perform much better than he did. And to be fair, the only way to ascertain how a QB will perform in the regular season against a hard-driving NFL defense is to watch him against said defense. Practice won't tell you. Scrimmage won't tell you, And preseason against backups won't tell you.

So, where I blame the FO:

1) not keeping TJax (American for "tough as nails") on the roster with Kolb (German for "made of glass") as the backup. Just do it, just find the roster spot.

2) if we wanted to play with White or Dixon, one of them was available 30 Aug the other mid-September. Bring 'em in then and teach 'em the playbook then.

Freeman undoubtedly has talent. But are you bringing in the 2010-2011 Freeman or the 2013 Freeman? If he has a normal human complement of firing neurons, he realizes his next chance to play will define his longevity in the league and he will Go Hard and make every possible effort.

Edited by Hopeful

I am not one who thought that EJ wasn't playing well - I think he has played quite well for a rookie.

Also, I am not lamenting the likely record - I had no delusions that the Bills could make the playoffs this year anyway.

My points were that whomever they bring in does not give them the hope that EJ did and I worry that after many weeks the team will lose the tough attitude that they have shown so far.

The Bills main hope going forward is their now fully healthy defense. I believe they can be absolutely dominant with the secondary now intact. The Jets won carrying a QB (Sanchez) with a 60 rating by playing great defense and running well.

As for the QB's - I don't get the Pat White idea. His NFL stat line is 5 passes, all incomplete. Tuel did more than that, and I agree he's not the answer.

Thad Lewis has done more than White or Dixon. If we're just bringing in one of those unproven guys, I start Thad (unless they've seen something they don't like on the p/s - but then why is he still there?)

David Carr and Trent Edwards are both more capable passers.

Edited by BobChalmers

Keep in mind that Freeman, Dixon and White may not be the only prospects. There still are the FA options. I would think that we would look at a potential trade options after Sunday's games. Our only bargaining chip is Byrd who is now cleared to play. Here are some intriguing options.

Drew Stanton-ARI

Bruce Gradkowski-PIT

Ryan Nassib-NYG

Chad Henne-JAC

Edited by BillsDiehard

Keep in mind that Freeman, Dixon and White may not be the only prospects. There still are the FA options. I would think that we would look at a potential trade options after Sunday's games. Our only bargaining chip is Byrd who is now cleared to play. Here are some intriguing options.

Drew Stanton-ARI

Bruce Gradkowski-PIT

Ryan Nassib-NYG

Chad Henne-JAC

Unless the Bills view any of these guys as likely long-term backups after this emergency starting stint - I wouldn't want to give up much in trade. Maybe a 6 or 7, but not more.

Of that list, Ryan Nassib would be most interesting - mainly because he would be most likely to be able to grasp the offense the soonest.

Read that. My question is who better positioned to land him? Jacksonville is the only team that comes to mind. But we offer a better team, organization.

But we have ej and they have gabbert. If you have a longterm eye, ours isn't settled but theirs truly is wide open.

Unless the Bills view any of these guys as likely long-term backups after this emergency starting stint - I wouldn't want to give up much in trade. Maybe a 6 or 7, but not more.

Of that list, Ryan Nassib would be most interesting - mainly because he would be most likely to be able to grasp the offense the soonest.

And likely not to be had for a 7

ok. How messed up am I? At one thought I really hope Sharpe was kidding. The other thought is what a great idea this would be. I'd rather have Favre 3 years removed from football than anyone else available not named Freeman.

As for the QB's - I don't get the Pat White idea. His NFL stat line is 5 passes, all incomplete. Tuel did more than that, and I agree he's not the answer.

Thad Lewis has done more than White or Dixon. If we're just bringing in one of those unproven guys, I start Thad (unless they've seen something they don't like on the p/s - but then why is he still there?)

David Carr and Trent Edwards are both more capable passers.

+1

I like to remain optimistic, but realistic. Wishing and hoping and praying that a guy who has almost no track record and was out of the league for 2 years and doesn't know the offense isn't going to make him a good option.

Dennis Dixon has played in 4 NFL regular season games, thrown for 402 total yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs

I mentioned in other threads that Pat White is the best choice out there. Being in the DC area I watched him in pre-season. He was clearly better than Rex Grossman and just as good as Cousins. Keep in mind he took most of the snaps with Cousins and RG3 out.

He has arm strength and he was pretty accurate with his passes. The Redskins were not going to keep him because of Rex Grossman's relationship with Kyle Shanahan. I hope we go with him. He's got the skill set where he may challenge EJ for the job.

I think we will pleasantly surprised.

Pat White will never challenge anyone for a job. Sorry.

But we have ej and they have gabbert. If you have a longterm eye, ours isn't settled but theirs truly is wide open.

And likely not to be had for a 7

Agreed.

If the Bills were to believe that Nassib could develop into a good long term backup, then I'd not have a big quarrel with trading a 4th for him, but why would the Giants trade a guy they just used a 4 on for a 4 next year?

Sterling Sharpe pitches Brett Favre to Bills

http://profootballta...vre-to-buffalo/

Sterling Sharpe, isn't so much of either right now.

ok. How messed up am I? At one thought I really hope Sharpe was kidding. The other thought is what a great idea this would be. I'd rather have Favre 3 years removed from football than anyone else available not named Freeman.

Seek professional help, m'man :cry:

I think it makes sense you would feel that way, though. It's sort of like Merriman. We all remember what he was, and feel "wow, if he could just bring 70% of that he would shine here and now". The memory of what was overshadows the reality of what likely is today.

Edited by Hopeful

If EJ was not coming back this year, I would be all for bringing the circus to town. I would rather watch something interesting as a fan, and this would be interesting. Forget about whether it makes sense, it would be entertaining and make the Bills relevant. However... with EJ slated to return, you cannot bring in a big ego/head case. This is a developmental year and he needs to play after his 3-8 weeks off(hopefully the lower end). So let's go with whomever has the lowest tendency to throw INTs, but will still be benched when EJ returns.

Sterling Sharpe pitches Brett Favre to Bills

http://profootballta...vre-to-buffalo/

That would put such a charge into the locker room, fanbase and the franchise it would be unbelievable. First ballot hall of famer showing up on his white horse, with a good running game, O Line and defense. Why not? This season has gone from "rebuild and wait" to "win now" with one knee injury. Favre can win now. Guy can make every throw better than anyone not named Manning or Brees and everyone in that locker room knows it. Why not? Its only temporary and everyone would understand it. Unless its Freeman, anyone who takes the next 2 months is gone next year anyway. I love it. Favre is outstanding.

Edited by 8and8Forever