EJ vs. Russell Wilson's First 3 NFL Starts

C.Biscuit97

Let me start off by saying this doesn't mean Manuel will ever be as good as Wilson, but let's settle down a bit.

Wilson: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/25785/gamelog/?season=2012_2

43 of 75 (57.3%), 434 yards (144.7 yards/ game), 5.79 ypa, 4 tds to 1 INT, 1 fumble lost, Seattle averages 19 points/ game.

Also in his 4th start, Wilson threw 0 tds and 3 ints.

Manuel: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/26639/

64 of 108 (59.3%), 689 yards (229.7 yards/ game), 6.4 ypa, 4 tds to

1 ints, 1 fumble lost. 21.7 points

1) Both had 4td to 1 int ratio. IMO, this is one of the most important stats for a QB. You can win a lot of games with that ratio.

2) Seattle might have the best defense in the NFL. They carried that team while Wilson learned on the job. With their injuries, the Bills have struggled on D. Manuel has been asked to do much more.

3) 2 weeks of missing your 1st training camp is huge. Wilson had a whole training camp.

4) Let's all take a deep breath and relax.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what i need to see from EJ this week. Forget the stats, i want to see him throw a 25 yd frozen rope down the middle of the field, in a tight window, for a completion. So far his best completion, by a mile is that corner endzone pass to Stevie in the NE game. So he's like 2 for 12 on those fade passes with several going out of bounds. Everything else has been short or to a wide open guy standing there.

Guys like Losman and Trent were exposed as frauds because they couldn't throw down the middle of the field in tight coverage. Guys like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Wilson, etc...are pretty good at it!

Let me start off by saying this doesn't mean Manuel will ever be as good as Wilson, but let's settle down a bit.

Wilson: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/25785/gamelog/?season=2012_2

43 of 75 (57.3%), 434 yards (144.7 yards/ game), 5.79 ypa, 4 tds to 1 INT, 1 fumble lost, Seattle averages 19 points/ game.

Manuel: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/26639/

1) Both had 4td to 1 int ratio. IMO, this is one of the most important stats for a QB. You can win a lot of games with that ratio.

2) Seattle might have the best defense in the NFL. They carried that team while Wilson learned on the job. With their injuries, the Bills have struggled on D. Manuel has been asked to do much more.

3) 2 weeks of missing your 1st training camp is huge. Wilson had a whole training camp.

if not for the "fail mary" it wouldve been even more impressive for EJ to compare the two

Here's what i need to see from EJ this week. Forget the stats, i want to see him throw a 25 yd frozen rope down the middle of the field, in a tight window, for a completion. So far his best completion, by a mile is that corner endzone pass to Stevie in the NE game. So he's like 2 for 12 on those fade passes with several going out of bounds. Everything else has been short or to a wide open guy standing there.

Guys like Losman and Trent were exposed as frauds because they couldn't throw down the middle of the field in tight coverage. Guys like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Wilson, etc...are pretty good at it!

I think his best pass was the one to Chandler into a tight window against NE* in week 1. It was a couple plays before the TD pass to a wide open Woods and it was that pass to Chandler that allowed Woods to get so wide open.

GO BILLS!!!

i look forward to the comparison next week. Wilson had a 14 QBR, with zero touchdowns and three interceptions in week 4.

Does microscopes know that?

GO BILLS!!!

If you don't see how good Ejs mechanics are you don't know a whole lot about playing QB

I like EJ quite a bit but the major flaw in his game, what causes him to be so innacurate, is his footwork. At times it's just horrible.

Wilson was flat out horrible in week 4 last year and there was much talk of him getting benched. They lost to St. Louis and could not move the ball.

By overreacting idiot fans and the media. Worst mistake you can ever do is give up on a young player too early. And Seattle allowed the game to slow down for Wilson and is now reaping the benefits.

But our QB looks like he is throwing darts during short passes and the shot put on long passes whereas Wilson looks like the throws mechanically much better....

If Wilson was the Bills' QB his first 3 starts, you won't have said that. There would be many threads stating they aren't impressed by Wilson. Now with hindsight, you see how silly it is.

Doesn't mean Manuel will get to Wilson's level, but it's an interesting comparison IMO.

By overreacting idiot fans and the media. Worst mistake you can ever do is give up on a young player too early. And Seattle allowed the game to slow down for Wilson and is now reaping the benefits.

Yes and it worse because Flynn was supposed to be the starter and Wilson beat him out, so everyone was clamoring for him to sit down. At least we here we don't have anyone behind EJ.

He had almost the exact throw you're talking about in week 1 to Chandler...I think it set up the Woods' TD at the end of the first half.

I think his best pass was the one to Chandler into a tight window against NE* in week 1. It was a couple plays before the TD pass to a wide open Woods and it was that pass to Chandler that allowed Woods to get so wide open.

GO BILLS!!!

Beat me to it I see

Overall though, your point is well taken and in the proper perspective. In fact, I thought about this exact comparison yesterday.

Well done.

Edited by thebandit27

Yes and it worse because Flynn was supposed to be the starter and Wilson beat him out, so everyone was clamoring for him to sit down. At least we here we don't have anyone behind EJ.

Ah yes, the great Matt Flynn who some fans wanted to trade a high draft pick for because of 2 games. The same Matt Flynn who has lost every QB competition since high school and was a 7th rounder.

Ah yes, the great Matt Flynn who some fans wanted to trade a high draft pick for because of 2 games. The same Matt Flynn who has lost every QB competition since high school and was a 7th rounder.

Flynn is collecting like 6 mill/yr+ sitting behind Terrelle Pryor. Pryor was not expected to start in the NFL as a QB and it is hilarious that he beat out Flynn. He may be forced to earn a few of his dollars this week as Pryor has a concussion.

Flynn is collecting like 6 mill/yr+ sitting behind Terrelle Pryor. Pryor was not expected to start in the NFL as a QB and it is hilarious that he beat out Flynn. He may be forced to earn a few of his dollars this week as Pryor has a concussion.

Matt Flynn is living the dream. Millions off 2 games. Plus, I think he has a model gf/ wife. Backup QB in the NFL is the greatest job in the world.

If Wilson was the Bills' QB his first 3 starts, you won't have said that. There would be many threads stating they aren't impressed by Wilson. Now with hindsight, you see how silly it is.

Doesn't mean Manuel will get to Wilson's level, but it's an interesting comparison IMO.

early there were also calls for the OCs head as well, as he was slow to open up the playbook and the two didnt really get firing on all cylinders until the second half of the season. it could end up being a similar path taken here.

Flynn & Kolb took the Billy Volek template and instead of retreating to backup-land, rode it all the way to a sh-- ton of found (not really earned) money.

Flynn & Kolb took the Billy Volek template and instead of retreating to backup-land, rode it all the way to a sh-- ton of found (not really earned) money.

Yep - add Matt Cassell to that list, even though he at least played a whole season for the Pats. These other guys took one or games and parlayed it into a huge contract.

Wilson: http://sports.yahoo..../?season=2012_2

Manuel: http://sports.yahoo..../players/26639/

Thats all fine and good, but how much of those passing yards was accounted for by the receivers' YAC, smart guy?

Edited by Jauronimo

Thats all fine and good, but how much of those passing yards was accounted for by the receivers' YAC, smart guy?

The average EJ pass traveled 0 yards (sometimes they were behind the line, so they were negative yardage) so all of his passing yardage was YAC. Meanwhile, Russell Wilson farted on a rope passes all over the field.

The average EJ pass traveled 0 yards (sometimes they were behind the line, so they were negative yardage) so all of his passing yardage was YAC. Meanwhile, Russell Wilson farted on a rope passes all over the field.

Exactly. Thats why you have to watch the game, unlike all the bozos here who just look at the box score. Are you in the market for a used van, by any chance? I'll be getting baked in the utility closet, but afterwards maybe we can talk financing?

I didn't get the Wilson hype before the draft but I'm sold. He has everything you want in a franchise QB except height.

Wilson ended up in a perfect situation on a team that has one of the best defenses with a good line and running game