Bills All 22

Fan in Chicago

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Spin Cycle" move is not necessarily a bad thing. I've seen Tony Romo use it on multiple occasions to keep extend plays that culminate in positive gains. EJ should keep it in his arsenal and I hopefully with greater experience he will learn when to employ it and when not to.

If any one noticed besides the Bucs defense he only spins clockwise.

May i suggest if he does continue to evade phantom sacks , or heck even real immediate need sacks (which he does too often)

he needs to develop a reverse spin.

or a double secret reverse spin.

or he could learn to step into the pocket as designed and use his tiny footsteps whilst watching the play develop and to to shed those players eager to end his career or break his knees again.

Never ever ever turn your back/eyes to/ from the field of play.

Can i ask this question of you all ?

Anybody consider Manuel is a little freaked out about Kolbs serious concussion ? I would be . Kolb aint comin back cause he's messed up. no one speaks of it anymore. Kevin just faded away from buffalo billsdom .

He has played scared and safe ish mostly

this guy Jeremy doesn't know what he's looking at. after viewing two of his critiques, i'd suggest you all enjoy the free clips and take his analysis with a large grain of salt

update - they won't post the same explanations i posted here. not surprised.

it's cool seeing the game from this perspective, though - so i do appreciate that. one thing i've noticed is that the same issue exposed in problem 1 - the timing of the deep square in & crossing patterns - is evident in some fashion elsewhere.. for instance, there's a play in there where the slot man is stood up by his defender, directly in the path (passing lane) of the wideouts deeper slant pattern. EJ had to pull it down.. forgot how it ended. Hackett better get together with his receivers coach to find out why these patterns aren't being executed as they're practiced.. and he should have the foresight to ask 'what if' on every page of the playbook. not too impressed.

Edited by BackInDaDay

Curious why you say that. Any examples where you think he is wrong? I think it would be interesting to hear a contrary take.

check post 317 on prior page

#1 - if you time it right, you can draw a straight line through the two receivers and the outstretched armed DT and EJ as he's cocked to throw.. and the DE breathing down his neck

#2 - pretty obvious

Edited by BackInDaDay

first play - EJ was about to throw to receiver at the 40 yard marker when DT jumped with arms up to defend.. before EJ could recover our RT was beaten by the DE

- trouble here was two receivers converging to the same passing lane, allowing DT to defend two options with one jump!

- these are the patterns that usually end up with a deflected ball to the up man getting picked by deeper cover man, but they were both open. would have been a good gain if not for DT's head's up play

second play - receiver at top was preparing to block down field for our fullback who tripped before getting out into the flat. not sure where their safety was, but that could have gone somewhere

- on secend look, he was knocked over by inside rush of RDE, who ended up at EJ's legs

- worse thing about this play was this was EJ's only option. don't know if it was drawn up this way, or receiver to EJ's right took play off

Disagree on both counts.

In first play, EJ recovers the bad snap, but still has enough time to throw to breaking WR. He clutches once, then pulls the ball down. It's only then that the DT puts his hands up. If EJ releases at the first clutch, the ball should clear the line for a long gain.

On the second, therer were two LBs set to follow Wingo into coverage even if he didn't stumble. Something went spectacularly wrong on that play.

@JeremyWGR

Woods crossing. Goodwin past sticks. Chandler available late. Three options. Ball held = sack. https://vine.co/v/hQFqrzvXb3u

@JeremyWGR

What happened out there? Offense a mess! https://vine.co/v/hQFiE7VX2v0

Not even a little upset with EJ on the first play. EJ is in the dirt by the time Chandler comes open. Woods is a maybe coming across. The MLB froze as a spy so he waited for Woods to clear, by that time he felt the pressure. This was the only option. There was nobody else. Not sure who the reciever is up top, maybe that is the Goodwin he is referring too. He gets open, but has to let the go route pass to drop the db on whoever is running that, that way the post route become free. EJ throws that pass before the db runs by and its a pick. Not to mention it looks like the receiver only gets open because the db saw the sack. Without protection on that play, there was little chance of anything.

Disagree on both counts.

In first play, EJ recovers the bad snap, but still has enough time to throw to breaking WR. He clutches once, then pulls the ball down. It's only then that the DT puts his hands up. If EJ releases at the first clutch, the ball should clear the line for a long gain.

On the second, therer were two LBs set to follow Wingo into coverage even if he didn't stumble. Something went spectacularly wrong on that play.

on disagree about play 1. when he steps up into the pocket, he could have hit the crossing pattern, but he wanted the deeper completion (down and distance?). when he sets his feet to make the throw as the deep-in is coming out of his break, the DT's arms are up and he's got nowhere to go with it.

agree with you about play 2. when the upback got knocked down, there were no other options. the entire play depends on your back getting a clean release through the line. had the DE taken an outside rush, he may have beaten the LB on the swing pass, but you're right.. this could of have been worse.

updated - the fake to Spiller did have those LBs biting, so this may have worked if the DE didn't gum it up

Edited by BackInDaDay

I find it interesting in these 22 breakdowns that it seems like at least half of the Bills WRs run go routes on just about every play broken down. They rarely break off their routes even when the D sends too many guys to block. That's not a recipe for success with a young QB who is in panic mode after getting pressured all day. Hacket didn't do the offense any favors by not running quick routes, screens, bubble screens, etc to take advantage of a D who was pinning their ears back.

It also looks like on a number of plays that it's the WRs who aren't making good decisions. Not breaking off routes on blitzes, not running the right route or not knowing what play is being run. It was a giant clusterF*ck from QB, to WR to OL.

Perhaps it wasn't the best recipe for success to have a rookie QB playing with so many young WRs. There are just too many opportunities for breakdowns. The funny thing is that they seem to be getting worse, not better. I guess that's why Marrone said they're going to scale things back as the O just isn't capable of running a more complex offense at this point.

After watching the WGR 'highlights' what little faith I had left in EJ is now completely gone.

Do you guys know how epically easy those reads are? Football is not a very complicated sport. Most of the reads EJ cannot seem to make are High School level stuff. HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL. He is getting WRs open everywhere!!! IF he threw the ball on time - he would avoid the sacks. Obviously the play isnt going to end well if you refuse to throw it to your open recivers. Heck, on some plays he could have thrown it to any number of guys. Then when he does decide to throw it, its either way off target or to the wrong read. F***!!!!

And then the miscommunication. Its one thing to have one or two guys run the wrong route, but for most of the team to run block while only the QB and one other WR know its a pass? That is squarely on EJ.

Very sad day. Draft another QB.

EJ only throws the ball once he *sees* an open WR, which is often times too late. He needs to get better at predicting open WRs, or throwing to a spot and trusting his WR.

I noticed EJM often throws to stationary targets and not those moving. Someone mentioned that watching Brees, like most top QB's, who'll throw the ball before the receiver makes his break. A low YPA and completion percentage, IMO, are indicative of someone who's struggling in an offense he said he understood during the pre-season.

Disagree on both counts.

Two things:

1) That was Evan Rodriguez

2) It appears it was the same PA swing pass call that they've run to Frank Summers out of that set several times this year...I think TB was simply ready for it. The play design was especially poor, however, in that there was literally no second option.

After watching the WGR 'highlights' what little faith I had left in EJ is now completely gone.

Do you guys know how epically easy those reads are? Football is not a very complicated sport. Most of the reads EJ cannot seem to make are High School level stuff. HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL. He is getting WRs open everywhere!!! IF he threw the ball on time - he would avoid the sacks. Obviously the play isnt going to end well if you refuse to throw it to your open recivers. Heck, on some plays he could have thrown it to any number of guys. Then when he does decide to throw it, its either way off target or to the wrong read. F***!!!!

And then the miscommunication. Its one thing to have one or two guys run the wrong route, but for most of the team to run block while only the QB and one other WR know its a pass? That is squarely on EJ.

Very sad day. Draft another QB.

It's sooooooooooo easy to say that the reads are "high school level" when you're sitting at home. It's quite another to have the confidence to go with your read when the game is moving at NFL speed when you're used to college. The difference in the speed of the game is significant.

As for the miscommunication, it looks like it's on EJ. I can't be certain, however, as it could easily be a package play with a WR quick-hitter as an option (the Bills run a lot of them). If that were the case it'd be on the WR...

EJ only throws the ball once he *sees* an open WR, which is often times too late. He needs to get better at predicting open WRs, or throwing to a spot and trusting his WR.

This...what's funny is that the times he does so are typically when he's rushed and doesn't have time to think about it. I'm starting to feel like 1/2 his problem is getting comfortable back there.

I find it interesting in these 22 breakdowns that it seems like at least half of the Bills WRs run go routes on just about every play broken down. They rarely break off their routes even when the D sends too many guys to block. That's not a recipe for success with a young QB who is in panic mode after getting pressured all day. Hacket didn't do the offense any favors by not running quick routes, screens, bubble screens, etc to take advantage of a D who was pinning their ears back.

It also looks like on a number of plays that it's the WRs who aren't making good decisions. Not breaking off routes on blitzes, not running the right route or not knowing what play is being run. It was a giant clusterF*ck from QB, to WR to OL.

Perhaps it wasn't the best recipe for success to have a rookie QB playing with so many young WRs. There are just too many opportunities for breakdowns. The funny thing is that they seem to be getting worse, not better. I guess that's why Marrone said they're going to scale things back as the O just isn't capable of running a more complex offense at this point.

i think the key point you made here is that "the O just isn't capable of running a more complex offense at this point"

there's a lot wrong out there!

All-22 Review - Bills/Jags - Give EJ Time

2728676.jpg?1387318333

In the Bills win over Jacksonville, EJ Manuel was able to return to some of his bread-and-butter throws. He delivered when given time to make throws, but there's a step to be taken. Jeremy White shows you in this week's All-22 Review.

EJ Manuel has had a good rookie season with the Buffalo Bills if you judge by franchise history. Manuel's 11 TDs on the season set a new rookie record for touchdown passes in a season. Considering he still has two games to play, and missed another five games due to injury, it's a good mark for him. (It also indicates that the Bills haven't ever really had a great rookie throwing the ball).

His game in Jacksonville wasn't eye-popping statistically, but upon further review, I came away impressed. However...before I show you all the things that Manuel did well in the game, I'm going to give a look at what I want next.

Upon Further Review: Bills at Jaguars

2728669.jpg?1387317215

JoeB@wgr550.com

(WGR 550) -- Before the season spiraled out of control, the Buffalo Bills grabbed ahold of one of their final games of the year and came away victorious against an inferior opponent.

The Bills started off slowly, but they ended up with the win over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Before we move on to Miami and the final home game of the season, first is a detailed look at how each player on both offense and defense for the Bills performed in Jacksonville.

Every week, with the help of the All-22 film available through NFL.com's Game Rewind package, WGR will provide the standouts, the duds and everything in between from the game that was.

Previous Installments:

Week 1 - New England 23, Buffalo 21

Week 2 - Buffalo 24, Carolina 23

Week 3 - New York Jets 27, Buffalo 20

Week 4 - Buffalo 23, Baltimore 20

Week 5 - Cleveland 37, Buffalo 24

Week 6 - Cincinnati 27, Buffalo 24

Week 7 - Buffalo 23 Miami 21

Week 8 - New Orleans 35, Buffalo 17

Week 9 - Kansas City 23, Buffalo 13

Week 10 - Pittsburgh 23, Buffalo 10

Week 11 - Buffalo 37, New York Jets 14

Week 12 - BYE

Week 13 - Atlanta 34, Buffalo 31

Week 14 - Tampa Bay 27, Buffalo 6

Twitter: @JoeBuscaglia

I noticed EJM often throws to stationary targets and not those moving. Someone mentioned that watching Brees, like most top QB's, who'll throw the ball before the receiver makes his break. A low YPA and completion percentage, IMO, are indicative of someone who's struggling in an offense he said he understood during the pre-season.

I just want to point out that the interception that happened this past weekend was EJ throwing the ball to where the receiver was supposed to be and got held up.....so it is not always true that he is waiting for the receiver to come open

and some of his moving target throws have been perfect (the one to Goodwin where he didnt catch it and got his bell rung was a GREAT throw) dropped it right in the garbage can.

I think Joe B. is quick to criticize sometimes. On the roll out, for EJ to get that deep throw off, he would have been destroyed by the chasing defenders, and gotten off a bad throw to a closing safety on the WR. Joe B seems to follow the company line of criticizing for the sake of it. Keep the QB of the future stuff to a minimum and just show us what happened without creating this not so subtle we are doomed undercurrent

I think Joe B. is quick to criticize sometimes. On the roll out, for EJ to get that deep throw off, he would have been destroyed by the chasing defenders, and gotten off a bad throw to a closing safety on the WR. Joe B seems to follow the company line of criticizing for the sake of it. Keep the QB of the future stuff to a minimum and just show us what happened without creating this not so subtle we are doomed undercurrent

I agree with this... Joe B. hasn't liked the EJ draft pick from the beginning and that has shaped the narrative of him throughout the season, which can be a little biased to the negative.

Wow, Buffalo Rumblings has put up 4 galleries of All-22 stuff, all on different aspects of EJ's play over the season.

Pocket ability: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/12/23/5238230/ej-manuel-film-study-pocket-ability

Accuracy: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/12/23/5238578/ej-manuel-film-study-accuracy

Reads: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/12/23/5238714/ej-manuel-film-study-reads'>http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/12/23/5238714/ej-manuel-film-study-reads

Throws of note: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/12/23/5238714/ej-manuel-film-study-reads

Haven't gotten far yet, but it looks good.

kj

Wow, Buffalo Rumblings has put up 4 galleries of All-22 stuff, all on different aspects of EJ's play over the season.

Pocket ability: http://www.buffaloru...-pocket-ability

Accuracy: http://www.buffaloru...-study-accuracy

Reads: http://www.buffaloru...ilm-study-reads

Throws of note: http://www.buffaloru...ilm-study-reads

Haven't gotten far yet, but it looks good.

kj

Their comment on each one being....

"Hello, friend! If you've stumbled upon this photo gallery, you've discovered a large chunk of a secret project that we'll tell you more about once said project is made public. For now, enjoy some pictures completely free of context. Go Bills!"

.....has me very interested to see the final "secret project".

Edit: You linked the reads twice.

Throws of note: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/12/23/5238818/ej-manuel-film-study-throws-of-note

Edited by Dibs

• 2 weeks later...

I guess nobody cares or the crowd that cares is still sleeping? lol

Guessing that WGR bagged them for the final two games because of the Holidays.

Just as I was typing no one cares, you come to save the day :thumbsup:

Maybe they're preparing for the looong winter ahead and slowly letting articles out?

Edited by HamSandwhich