It's In Philly, Not Buffalo

Just the fact here- Chip Kelly signed a 5 year 32.5 millon dollar contact with Philly. I can't seem to find the numbers on Marrone- we interviewed Chip and he wasn't for us. I am wondering if that is because of the numbers or if he really wasn't our guy. I like Marrone and will give him the benefit of the doubt, but one has to wonder are we getting shorted so old Ralphie can keep his coin??

Again, dont shoot the messenger, just wondering what everyone thinks.

I think, for whatever reason, Chip did not want to come to Buffalo. I doubt it was the money, though. I imagine it had more to do with how much say he would have in personnel decisions, willingness to commit to his way of doing things, and maybe he thought Philly's personnel was a better fit for his system. Also, Philly is a much higher visibility franchise that plays in the NFL's premier media coverage division.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, for whatever reason, Chip did not want to come to Buffalo. I doubt it was the money, though. I imagine it had more to do with how much say he would have in personnel decisions, willingness to commit to his way of doing things, and maybe he thought Philly's personnel was a better fit for his system. Also, Philly is a much higher visibility franchise that plays in the NFL's premier media coverage division.

He didn't want to leave Oregon until he thought the NCAA was coming with sanctions. His hand was forced.

I seem to remember EJ saying that the Jets and the Eagles werethe two other teams that expressed the most interest in drafting him besides the Bills.

Sometimes I think that Chip Kelly was ready to draft EJ in round 2, and that Bills spoiled his plans when they snatched Manuel in round 1. EJ seems to have all the tools for Kelly's offense.

Kelly is settling for Vick, but it seems unlikely that Vick can last more than a couple weeks more before he is knocked out with an injury. As good as Vick is, he is too aggressive when he runs and destined for injury. Next in line are Nick Foles and Matt Bradley. Not bad qbs, but they do not fit the Eagles's offense at all.

I'm thrilled that EJ is a Bill and hopeful that his talents will come big time in a Bills uniform...

I think there's a difference between an NFL vet QB and a rookie, as well. That will completely change how you implement an offense.

Is it fair to ask if Buffalo got the short end of the stick in terms of offensive scheme when compared to Chip Kelly's? Chip Kelly (sounds like they're saying Jim Kelly) has a lot more talent and experience on his team (Michael Vick, Desean Foster) than Buffalo, but their offense was faster and seemed to catch Washington off guard more than Bills caught NE off guard. Philly executed much more effectively and clearly did not have the penalties the Bills did. In short, perhaps in theory, Marrone's offense is supposed to look like what we saw ion Philly last night. Buffalo just needs more time and talent to execute better. Last night's game was fun to watch.

Jeez, exactly what Spiller needed. The Bills could easily run the exact same things the Eagles ran with probably as much success.

The penalties, the turnovers, the lack of run blocking, and a far too vanilla offensive scheme killed the Bills. The Bills used a 4 WR shotgun spread formation and ran Spiller, he got 8 yards on that play. Then didn't see it again.

I'm just hoping Marrone and Hackett were tuned into the game.... There is NO REASON the Bills cant do same thing... CJ is as good as Shady and has even a similar running style. They are the 2 best RB's in space. EJ will those quick reads and use Woods as the main guy with the bubble screens. Much better after the catch than SJ13. SJ13 would play the role of #2 WR.

The Bills really didnt have the ball that much to get any real momentum on O. But watching Kelly's O last night made me wish we had pushed harder to get him. Vick is old and fragile... EJ is the PERFECT QB for that O. Hopefully we wont see as many bunch sets vs. Carolina and Hack took some notes last night... GIVE CJ SPACE and spread out the field... and get WR's involved with quick hitters which will open up deep passes later. Woods can be phenominal in Desean's role. I've loved the guy his whole college career and he is very much like the Reggie Wayne to Andre Johnson at the U... Lee got all the pub but Woods still constantly made plays as well. Stevie doesnt have the speed to do anything on screens and should be the slot guy (which he is) and work over middle cuz the 1 thing the Eagles have, is TE's that can run. Ertz will be a big threat as yr progresses and Celek made some nice plays. Chandler is so slow its scary. We should have 3 WR and both CJ and Freddy on field in key situations.

Vick is not the smartest QB in terms of decision making and made the O look easy. You put EJ out there and stack 2 guys basically on top of each other on both sides on field... impossible for D to stack the box and CJ will just explode. This is not the hardest O to manage as a QB.. U have to know when to hand it off and when to pull it back and EJ has legs to do so and can work well with the quick reads in passing game.

I'm just hoping Marrone and Hackett were tuned into the game.... There is NO REASON the Bills cant do same thing... CJ is as good as Shady and has even a similar running style. They are the 2 best RB's in space. EJ will those quick reads and use Woods as the main guy with the bubble screens. Much better after the catch than SJ13. SJ13 would play the role of #2 WR.

The Bills really didnt have the ball that much to get any real momentum on O. But watching Kelly's O last night made me wish we had pushed harder to get him. Vick is old and fragile... EJ is the PERFECT QB for that O. Hopefully we wont see as many bunch sets vs. Carolina and Hack took some notes last night... GIVE CJ SPACE and spread out the field... and get WR's involved with quick hitters which will open up deep passes later. Woods can be phenominal in Desean's role. I've loved the guy his whole college career and he is very much like the Reggie Wayne to Andre Johnson at the U... Lee got all the pub but Woods still constantly made plays as well. Stevie doesnt have the speed to do anything on screens and should be the slot guy (which he is) and work over middle cuz the 1 thing the Eagles have, is TE's that can run. Ertz will be a big threat as yr progresses and Celek made some nice plays. Chandler is so slow its scary. We should have 3 WR and both CJ and Freddy on field in key situations.

Vick is not the smartest QB in terms of decision making and made the O look easy. You put EJ out there and stack 2 guys basically on top of each other on both sides on field... impossible for D to stack the box and CJ will just explode. This is not the hardest O to manage as a QB.. U have to know when to hand it off and when to pull it back and EJ has legs to do so and can work well with the quick reads in passing game.

There may be three big reasons the Bills can't do the same: No speed WR like Jackson, no running threat like Vick at QB (or the experience), and, perhaps most importantly, we don't have the OLine that Philly has.

GO BILLS!!!

This. My work here is done.

Is it fair to ask if Buffalo got the short end of the stick in terms of offensive scheme when compared to Chip Kelly's? Chip Kelly (sounds like they're saying Jim Kelly) has a lot more talent and experience on his team (Michael Vick, Desean Foster) than Buffalo, but their offense was faster and seemed to catch Washington off guard more than Bills caught NE off guard. Philly executed much more effectively and clearly did not have the penalties the Bills did. In short, perhaps in theory, Marrone's offense is supposed to look like what we saw ion Philly last night. Buffalo just needs more time and talent to execute better. Last night's game was fun to watch.

Didn't Washington turn it over four times? That could explain the high score.

Washington's OFFENSE handed Philly that game last night - RG3 stunk out loud and the whole team seemed determined to give the ball back to the Eagles as often as possible.

The Philly offensive scheme was fine but not that big a deal.

How about letting Manuel's cleats to get scuffed, before making judgements. The guy didn't even have a full training camp/preseason to get ready.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

He didn't want to leave Oregon until he thought the NCAA was coming with sanctions. His hand was forced.

Completely wrong. But post a link if you got one. Do you even know about their sanctions and why they got the tiny slap on the hand? The Ducks may still be around 40th in the nation in recruiting. Their players are NW homegrown. Post up something other than BS it dilutes the debate.

Vick is a Vet who better be rolling or he won't be there next year. Vick still needs to make it 16 weeks. Also how did that second half go?

My point exactly, he was already limping at is only game 1. He is a small QB and undoubtedly will get hurt with the OL basically not even blocking anymore as the game went on. I also think DeSean Jackson may not make it. The Eagles defense still sucks. I don't think the Eagles will win the division.

Completely wrong. But post a link if you got one. Do you even know about their sanctions and why they got the tiny slap on the hand? The Ducks may still be around 40th in the nation in recruiting. Their players are NW homegrown. Post up something other than BS it dilutes the debate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/chip-kelly-allegedly-texas-recruiting-star-rb-hours-160714486.html

Well yes the Yahoo (fitting name) rumor mill churns it out as good as anyone these days. having seen Oregons AD interviewed, along with Chip kelly's reasons for leaving, none of those actual quotes are used in Yahoo's piece. If you're referring to Kelly out of the pacific NW and in texas well yea that happens. But my point was Kelly did not bolt the Ducks because of upcoming sanctions which are basically a joke anyways.

Kelly most likely left for greener pastures ($$$) and possible success in the NFL to feed his ego. he played and lost the national championship. He did not go 25-25 in college.

If anyone is watching and again I have hope for Marrone. Chip Kelly is the name being talked about non-stop on all sport networks for his innovative sets in game one. Marrones vanilla scheme hasn't been mentioned. Again I'm a fan of marrone.

I want to see this offense in week 10 once D cords have had time to adjust to it.

I also wonder about how long Vick will last. I watched him play here in ATL, he always went for the extra yard. Vick was the fastest guy on the field back in the early 2000's. Not so much now. Father time has slowed him down a step or two. Take that into consideration with his age and injury looming.

Kelly will only be succesful if he adapts to the pro game. His O looks nice now, but so did the wildcat and the run and shoot. You have to adapt because the D cords will. Being stubborn will ultimately lead to Kelly failing,