Whatever happened to Manti Te'o?

PromoTheRobot

Just funny with all the hype surrounding this guy that there hasn't been any news on how he looks with the Chargers. Obviously he's hurt now but for a guy who was all that and a bag of chips before the draft, there hasn't been a peep since.

PTR

Just funny with all the hype surrounding this guy that there hasn't been any news on how he looks with the Chargers. Obviously he's hurt now but for a guy who was all that and a bag of chips before the draft, there hasn't been a peep since.

PTR

What did you expect? Early reports were positive then he got hurt.

PTR

False. Every report was that he looked so good in camp that he was going to be their starter. Now he's hurt. If this is how everybody thinks than EJ is a bust already because, outside of Buffalo, not much was being said about him and then he got hurt.

I love how people lack an understanding of how small markets work. Until you win a championship or do something controversial enough to get on ESPN then your team and every player on it is irrelevant. This doesn't mean that they're bad, though.

Edited by DStebb716

False. Every report was that he looked so good in camp that he was going to be their starter. Now he's hurt. If this is how everybody thinks than EJ is a bust already because, outside of Buffalo, not much was being said about him and then he got hurt.

I love how people lack an understanding of how small markets work. Until you win a championship or do something controversial enough to get on ESPN then your team and every player on it is irrelevant. This doesn't mean that they're bad, though.

Te'o was a media phenom for months (some for bad reasons). You'd think ESPN would pay some attention to what he was doing. San Diego isn't Siberia.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Te'o was a media phenom for months (some for bad reasons). You'd think ESPN would pay some attention to what he was doing. San Diego isn't Siberia.

PTR

San Diego hasn't been relevant since they had Sproles. Gates is probably on his last year or two. Rivers is a shell of his former self. Weddle is the only good player on their defense. Virtually unknown WR corp. Bum of a RB in Matthews. 2nd RB Pats utility Woodhead.

Wouldn't call that a lot of star power, location or not. Tampa's pretty nice, they don't get a lot of coverage. Small market is small market.

PTR

Daily update: still not practicing. Not that exciting. They decided to let the tabloid story go.

PTR

I think your observation is a microcosm of the hype around the draft. Were it not for the draft hype machine, we would not have heard all too much about him...except of course, for that fictitious dream girl. I have to go now to feed my flying tiger....

San Diego hasn't been relevant since they had Sproles. Gates is probably on his last year or two. Rivers is a shell of his former self. Weddle is the only good player on their defense. Virtually unknown WR corp. Bum of a RB in Matthews. 2nd RB Pats utility Woodhead.

Wouldn't call that a lot of star power, location or not. Tampa's pretty nice, they don't get a lot of coverage. Small market is small market.

I'm not sure I could name 5 of their players.

Rivers, Mathews, Gates, Weddle and Vincent Brown. After that I can't think of a single charger

oh and Teo

I think your observation is a microcosm of the hype around the draft. Were it not for the draft hype machine, we would not have heard all too much about him...except of course, for that fictitious dream girl. I have to go now to feed my flying tiger....

Except for, ya'know, a defensive player being a Heisman finalist....other than that he was a complete UNKNOWN.

Except for, ya'know, a defensive player being a Heisman finalist....other than that he was a complete UNKNOWN.

Being a Heisman finalist doesn't guaranty a good pro....The Combine, coupled with their bowl tape showed the world what he was - a slow player with a big heart, played up by the N.D. Hyping Irish machine....

PTR

He went to a losing franchise. That's what happens to guys who get drafted by a losing franchise, until and unless they do something personally remarkable like rack up 2k rushing or lead the league in tackles for loss or something.

He went to a losing franchise. That's what happens to guys who get drafted by a losing franchise, until and unless they do something personally remarkable like rack up 2k rushing or lead the league in tackles for loss or something.

Well, that and it helps if they aren't in the training room. You can only do so many updates on a 2nd round, ILB, on a bad team, that's not even practicing. The update is simply "still hurt, still don't know how long" and you can only cover that for so long. It's both a lack of interest and a lack of developments.

Reports before were he looked good but how good does an ILB really get to look in shorts with no contact.

Of course ptr knows all this so I'm not sure what he was expecting to accomplish

Down here in Daytona, E.J. had an article printed about how he was going to start after recovering from minor knee surgery. I realize that all Bills fans know this, but I was pleasently surprised to open the paper this a.m. and see an article about the Bills in a Daytona newspaper. I guess it could be due to the fact that it's because E.J. came from FSU. Either way, I enjoyed it, as I believe it might be a step in garnering national (partially) media coverage. I looked for the link however best I could tell it was only in the paper vs. being online. It was a J. Wawrow article from the AP.