EJ named starter for Sunday

Doc

The tape thing does not matter and the fact the Pats know EJ is the starter on Weds is not a big advantage for them.

Like other have said this season is about watching hopefully a QB mature has well has an entire team.

It would be great to have EJ come out and beat NE. If nothing else i hope we are in the game and EJ is a huge reason why the Bills have a chance to win, not the biggest reason they lose.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never doubted this, though a little surprised they didn't keep BB guessing and preparing for both QBs -who's games are not similar..

The good thing about playing BB in week 1 is that he doesnt have a lot of tape on EJ and wont really know what the Bills will do. He even said something along those lines during his conference call today

CBF

after seeing what Fitz could do to NE's defense the last few years, Im excited to see what EJ can do.

In a vacuum, I'd agree, but we have to remember we've changed OCs as well. As much **** as Chan gets for being a HC, he actually got a lot out of our offense, considering it's limitations. We'll see if Hackett can get as much out of the new guys.

And let's not forget, for all the excitement about our new highly aggressive defense (which I'm all in favor of), they were still getting gashed in the preseason running game (which was a huge issue last year--NEWS FLASH: our biggest problems from last year was not the QB or the offense). The longer we can keep our defense off the field, the better for everyone.

First two games the run defense was fine. Game 3 against Washington they were running some totally vanilla system that Wanny would have used - it didn't look like Pettine's D at all. Game 4 it was Bills' 2's and 3's against Lions 1's so whatever.

Point being - you're 100% correct that the run D is the biggest issue from last year - but I wouldn't be too worried based on the pre-season results specifically.

Right after EJ's performance (obviously) the 2nd thing I'll be looking for is stout run D.

In a vacuum, I'd agree, but we have to remember we've changed OCs as well. As much **** as Chan gets for being a HC, he actually got a lot out of our offense, considering it's limitations. We'll see if Hackett can get as much out of the new guys.

Very true.

First two games the run defense was fine. Game 3 against Washington they were running some totally vanilla system that Wanny would have used - it didn't look like Pettine's D at all. Game 4 it was Bills' 2's and 3's against Lions 1's so whatever.

Point being - you're 100% correct that the run D is the biggest issue from last year - but I wouldn't be too worried based on the pre-season results specifically.

Right after EJ's performance (obviously) the 2nd thing I'll be looking for is stout run D.

Yeah, in game 3 it seemed like they were doing something completely different because that is the "dress rehearsal" for the season and ostensibly the only "real" game film opponents will have.

Yeah but the great thing about EJ, judging from pre-season is that he can play poorly for a few drives and they straighten out. He doesn't get

down. He just keeps playing till it clicks. So, yeah he will struggle. Hopefully the D will keep things close until it starts working for EJ.

PTR

What PTR said.

Anybody remember Jim Kelly's first game as a Bill?

It was against the then AFCE tough guys - the JESTS and the NY Sack Exchange.

Joe Klecko got an unsportsmanlike penalty for "Giving him the business down there" after a sack and a scrum.

Kelly's brothers were pizzed that the OLine didn't come to the defense of their brother.

Bills lost that game - but won the war.

I was there!

Jim Kelly and Ken O'Brien were co-MVP's in that loss, which REALLY ticked off some Jets fans.

I just woke up to see the good news via text.

I will be taking this game with a calm approach (maybe I'm not as excited cuz it's only Wednesday and I have work at 5 tonight), but I do believe that one advantage we have is EJ's athleticism. My only concern is also his athleticism. The kid can run but needs a better slide. Not a Tom Brady slide where he slides 10 yards before getting hit, but at least 3 yards.

It's any given Sunday and I'm sure most of you don't think we have a shot at winning, but the truth is we got as much a chance as they do. They're missing Gronk, Welker and Hernandez. I'm sure Brady will have new best friends to throw to but I believe Marrone will have Pettine focusing on the D-line to get after Brady since our secondary is weak.

Here's to going into the second half with the lead.

Actually, it's not the play selection that concerns me, but whether Hackett and Marrone go up tempo/no huddle. It's a valid point that if you run the no-huddle and you don't make a 3rd down, your D gets a whole 27 seconds off the field.

There would be a lot to be said for huddling up and taking our time the first couple drives

It's time we start thinking like winners and stop thinking like losers.

Winners think about how bad the other teams D is going to be sucking wind and how they can't keep up for 4 quarters.

Losers think about what happens when we go 3 and out and how our D is going to wear down.

If you want to change a culture, you must first change the mindset.

This team and fanbase has a loser mentality and I can understand why, but thinking like a loser is NEVER going to make you a winner.

It's been shown that in anything, you normally get pretty close to what is expected of you. Not running the up tempo offense we have been running all preseason sends a message, consciously or subconsciously that you expect failure, and likely that is what you will get.

Edited by matter2003

It's time we start thinking like winners and stop thinking like losers.

Winners think about how bad the other teams D is going to be sucking wind and how they can't keep up for 4 quarters.

Losers think about what happens when we go 3 and out and how our D is going to wear down.

If you want to change a culture, you must first change the mindset.

This team and fanbase has a loser mentality and I can understand why, but thinking like a loser is NEVER going to make you a winner.

Irrelevant ....I tried hard to positively will JP Losman and rotating qb scrubs since then

Didn't help. Leave the fans out IMO.