(Update) Jim Leonard back in Buffalo

RayFinkle

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He started 13 games(played 16) for the #2 Ravens defense in 2008.

He started 16 games for the #1 Jets defense in 2009.

He started 11 games(played 11) for the #3 Jets defense in 2010.

He started 13 games(played 13) for the #5 Jets defense in 2011.

He started 1 games(played 16) for the #2 Broncos defense in 2012.

Unless he's hit the wall early I'd say this would be a good move.

He has hit the wall early. He was never very fast - he's always relied on smarts and knowing where to be. But his already-limited skills have been depleted substantially. At this point he's little more than a stop-gap, but at least plays the role of a veteran presence in the backfield. He's basically a coach on the field.

All of that said, he's still light years better than Duke Williams or Meeks, one (or both) of whom might end up on the P.S. if they sign Leonard.

My guess is they would bring him in game 2 or later and have him play until rookies are ready. This way they pay him per game.

Defense may be changed to play thirds or quarters making it less dependent on CBs and more dependent on safeties to adjust to Gilmore out and Byrd's boo boo.

Oh ok.

I may be in the minority, but I just wouldn't be thrilled with bringing in Leonard. I guess you could say when he was here in Buffalo he was in his prime, and even then I would've considered him a marginal, modest player at best. Matter of fact, I heard more about him and his play when he was with the Jets.

His best play was for the Ravens and the Jets ... when he had better players with him.

He could help us right now and that is a sad statement to make.

He has hit the wall early. He was never very fast - he's always relied on smarts and knowing where to be. But his already-limited skills have been depleted substantially. At this point he's little more than a stop-gap, but at least plays the role of a veteran presence in the backfield. He's basically a coach on the field.

All of that said, he's still light years better than Duke Williams or Meeks, one (or both) of whom might end up on the P.S. if they sign Leonard.

He ran a 4.4 at Wisconsin and once won a dunking contest, at 5'8" against a guy a foot taller. He is a baby faced assassin. He has had injuries though and at 30 years old, he might have lost some of that speed.

He started 13 games(played 16) for the #2 Ravens defense in 2008.

He started 16 games for the #1 Jets defense in 2009.

He started 11 games(played 11) for the #3 Jets defense in 2010.

He started 13 games(played 13) for the #5 Jets defense in 2011.

He started 1 games(played 16) for the #2 Broncos defense in 2012.

Unless he's hit the wall early I'd say this would be a good move.

Seems wherever Jim Leonard goes, highly ranked defenses follow. Coincidence? I think not.

GO BILLS!!!

Also I remember Eugene Parker making a big deal about what they were willing to do to get the deal they ultimately wanted... I really hope fasciitis isn't part of that whole posture,

I can say Byrds demeanor when asked about playing is interesting. He isn't saying I want to play, he isn't saying I hope to play, he's only saying he won't play if his body isn't ready. That's been the mantra even before fasciitis was publicized...