(Update) Jim Leonard back in Buffalo

RayFinkle

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are gonna roll the dice until after week one in order to get their OG and QB.

I expect the S situation to be a problem all year, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

We can't possibly roll the dice on OG/C until after week one. We don't have one back-up guard or center who can play. Not one. Just Asper on the PS who just got here.

Byrd can't sign a big deal until next year and plantar fasciitis doesn't help him get that big deal at all.

He knows he won't get the offer he wants from Buffalo. That much is obvious. If he is let go he can start a bidding war. If Buff tags him again he has another nice payout but not $15MM to $20MM guarantee that he wants. So nurse the injury for all its worth and force Buffalo to move or release him is the plan.

We can't possibly roll the dice on OG/C until after week one. We don't have one back-up guard or center who can play. Not one. Just Asper on the PS who just got here.

We'll see. But it just makes sense from a financial standpoint to sign the veteran G after the first game. There will be some shuffling for sure if anything happens during the game on Sunday. Brown to C, Glenn to G, etc. That's why they call it rolling the dice, I guess.

GO BILLS!!!

My guess in an emergency in week one, Glenn slides inside, while the QB runs for the hills.

Think again. ;) Jim Leonhard can be very effective when he has very few duties and is the 11th best player on the field. Then he is smart, reliable, instinctive, and can run to the ball. He was terrible on the Bills when he was asked to cover on a regular basis. He was just cut from the Saints and they have an average defense. He was effective on the Ravens and Jets when he was the 11th best player on the field.

It's possible, I suppose, that Pettine thinks we're going to have a great pass rush and defense, and that if Byrd can't play for a game or two, that Leonhard will not be exposed as much as Searcy and Duke/Meeks. I guess that would make sense. But Leonhard is likely to get abused if he has to play if we don't have an absolute ferocious pass rush.

Agreed - he fits specific roles very well but not a guy you want to rely on for toooo much. As a backup, coach on the field, special teamer and guy that might know the playbook as well as our DC I'd be fine with him being on the field in nickel/dime situations, in case of injury, or safely fielding punts without exposing a starter like mckelvin given the state of the secondary.

Based on where we are right now at DB, I can't see how this could be a bad thing...

Anyone against signing Leonhard is simply not paying attention to what is currently going on in our Secondary...It's bad guys...REALLY bad... B-)

It probably is a desperate move but as desperation moves go, its not the worst one I have seen. Not as bad as say, bringing in Matt Leinart for a look see.

He knows he won't get the offer he wants from Buffalo. That much is obvious. If he is let go he can start a bidding war. If Buff tags him again he has another nice payout but not $15MM to $20MM guarantee that he wants. So nurse the injury for all its worth and force Buffalo to move or release him is the plan.

Byrd having a foot and attitude problem won't endear himself to many suitors. Even moreso if he has a bad season. He'd potentially be costing himself a lot more than he already has.

Oh ok.

I may be in the minority, but I just wouldn't be thrilled with bringing in Leonard. I guess you could say when he was here in Buffalo he was in his prime, and even then I would've considered him a marginal, modest player at best. Matter of fact, I heard more about him and his play when he was with the Jets.

If this is true, who would you rather them sign that would be any better at this point? He KNOWS THE DEFENSE they are running in six days... Makes sense from that perspective. Wouldn't be signing him to be a starter and be an All Pro for years. Would sign him to get through these early games at least.

Byrd having a foot and attitude problem won't endear himself to many suitors. Even moreso if he has a bad season. He'd potentially be costing himself a lot more than he already has.

You and I have been echoing the same thoughts in this for a while now. Byrd can ONLY hurt his stock by not playing and if he's not playing because he's malingering (and I DON'T believe that AT ALL), he will hurt his stock even more. It's not like he's a pass rushing DE or OLB or a shutdown CB out there. A safety that's coming off injury that hasn't played is not exactly a sought after hot commodity even if it is Byrd.

GO BILLS!!!

Just for fun:

@SalSports : @MattSabuda and @drocksthaparty are reporting that a deal is already done with Leonhard

So, we trust DRock and MattSabuda more then Sal? :lol:

@yamez9 @SalSports @drocksthaparty Can't say it's done w/ Leonhard, but unless things fall apart, should be good. Hope all goes well.

Quick, back pedal!

@yamez9 @SalSports In fairness, I was once yelled at as a #Bills intern for prematurely telling of McGahee signing. He did sign though :-)

Oh, ok, Mke Sabuda must know something, he was an intern once.