Who starts at QB vs Detroit ?

papazoid

I think that the fact teams were bringing in Jamarcus Russell for looks and not Matt Leinart says I am not the only one.

I also easily understood the comparison. There are several similarities to the two situations and players. I just responded to the fact that it wasn't a true comparison because IMO Leinart could never do it because he lacks the arm and always will, not because he lacked the talent or the opportunity, a liability that has stopped hundreds of great college players over the years. Furthermore the combination of lack of arm strength and slowness of foot exponentially hurts Leinart and always will. And that Plunkett had no such limitations.

I'm curious, why do you think the Bills brought him in and signed him, given those limitations? Just really lousy alternatives?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant argue with history. He, like Kolb has suffered a lot of injuries though, and been behind better QB's for most of his career.

I'm more intrigued with Thad. Thad brings some athleticism to the table and sounds like a helluva nice kid. I'll route for both of these guys but I'm more intrigued with Thad than I am Matt.

Either way, most importantly lets hope no one on either team gets injured tonight. And...lets hope EJ and Kolb get healthy again for all the right reasons, one of which is football.

If we have to lose game #1 regular season....so be it. NO MORE INJURIES damnit. Injuries (for any team) ruin it for us avid fans of the game.

Who Thad?

I am interested to see how he does as well.

I also find it "interesting" that it did not take long at all for some people on this board to already seem to be rooting against him. I suppose I should not be surprised.

I'm curious, why do you think the Bills brought him in and signed him, given those limitations? Just really lousy alternatives?

Yep. There will be much better alternatives on the eve of the season, but the team HAD to at least explore the idea that EJ is not going to play and that Jeff Tuel, ugh, would be the only QB on the team to be able to play in the first game. Leinart can come in and learn an offense pretty fast. He can even play well for a game or two. He just can't play QB as a starter.

I guess I expect him to beat out Thad Lewis because one thing he can do is drop back, look, and throw a good clean accurate slant or hook or crossing pattern. But if he is rushed we're in trouble and if he is expected to get the ball downfield on a consistent basis we're in trouble. When a guy has a rag arm it does not mean he can't ever complete a bomb or a 30 yarder.

Brady Quinn is probably going to be released, and Brady Quinn sucks, and Brady Quinn would probably be a much better option for the Bills.

remember when flutie got us to the playoffs and we played a meaningless week 17 against the colts and rob johnson lit them up and then wade phillips decided to start johnson in the wild card game instead of flutie? yeah let's not repeat ourselves here.

I remember a playoff game that a Rob Johnson-led team had in the bag before one of the worst special teams implosions ever.

Doesn't it mean that tuel is starting? Can't risk am injury.

They can't be that worried about Tuel getting hurt compared to his relative lack of experience in running the first team offense and opposing more than 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string players in preseason.

They must be confident that EJ is healthy enough to get enough practice this week to shake off the rust and start week 1.

That's MHO.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/29/matt-leinart-to-start-for-bills-tonight/

They can't be that worried about Tuel getting hurt compared to his relative lack of experience in running the first team offense and opposing more than 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string players in preseason.

They must be confident that EJ is healthy enough to get enough practice this week to shake off the rust and start week 1.

That's MHO.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/29/matt-leinart-to-start-for-bills-tonight/

When you have Matt leinart staring you in the face, you're probably going to put tuel in FBI protective custody.