Who starts at QB vs Detroit ?

papazoid

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help it -- I want to see what this guy has got. I would be thrilled with an EJ/Leinart/Tuel lineup (in that order) if Leinart has matured and is a decent game manager. EJ's the stud, but if he gets "tweaked" along the way Leinart could be "that guy" who can win you a game or two. I still believe Tuel needs some development and would benefit from being the #3.

I'm a big fan of the "career resurrection" stories...

Agree completely (as I often do with eball).

It's quite possible he will hit a few short 10 yard passes to WRs or RBs in stride and this board will go Tuel-**** for all the wrong reasons again.

I agree with you, although I would like him to be the second coming of Jim Plunkett, I doubt it.

I agree with you, although I would like him to be the second coming of Jim Plunkett, I doubt it.

Plunkett was a big time talent and arm. Leinart cannot grow an arm. It's almost impossible. Leinart has a very, very remote chance to be the second coming of Chad Pennington, but I don't think he is nearly as smart and quick, or is the same kind of leader as Pennington, so IMO that is almost impossible, too.

Leinart can get you those numbers and still stink, because he stinks and cannot play QB in the NFL over any significant amount of time. If you want a back-up QB who half the time can possibly be average, he is your guy. Leinart has no arm, and slow and lumbering in all aspects except his mind. He can see the field and make decisions but his body is big and his movements are slow, his release is slow, and he has little arm strength.

All of those things combined make him a crappy QB. If there is no rush, and he needs to throw up to 15-20 yards down the middle he can be okay. He's accurate on those plays. But if there is any rush he cannot get the ball out quickly enough, if it is anywhere downfield he cannot get the ball there quickly enough, or far enough, and because he is so lumbering and slow, his shoulders and body take way more contact than other guys which is why he gets hurt all the time.

He is a huge tease and terrible NF quarterback. It was evident before he was drafted ( I wouldnt have taken him in any round). And it's been repeatedly proven. If everything goes right, and there is little rush, he can have decent stats on short accurate throws. He's a brittle, slow, Trent Edwards at best.

LOL -- so tell us what you really think. I've admittedly watched very little of this guy, either in college or since he became a pro. You're usually pretty sound in your assessments so I'm certainly less optimistic than I was when this thread was created.

I can't help it -- I want to see what this guy has got. I would be thrilled with an EJ/Leinart/Tuel lineup (in that order) if Leinart has matured and is a decent game manager. EJ's the stud, but if he gets "tweaked" along the way Leinart could be "that guy" who can win you a game or two. I still believe Tuel needs some development and would benefit from being the #3.

I'm a big fan of the "career resurrection" stories...

I also am eager to see what Leinart can do.

I have no faith in Tuel. Potential and a dollar still only get you a McChicken sandwich.

I'd honestly feel better if Brad Smith was named #3 with Leinart backing up (if he shows well tonight).

Plunkett was a big time talent and arm. Leinart cannot grow an arm. It's almost impossible. Leinart has a very, very remote chance to be the second coming of Chad Pennington, but I don't think he is nearly as smart and quick, or is the same kind of leader as Pennington, so IMO that is almost impossible, too.

I was making the comparison because Plunkett was considered a bust that got one last chance due to an injury. Not comparing their style of play or arm strength.

remember when flutie got us to the playoffs and we played a meaningless week 17 against the colts and rob johnson lit them up and then wade phillips decided to start johnson in the wild card game instead of flutie? yeah let's not repeat ourselves here.

Very clearly and yes, I'd like to see a repeat of that. Playing against the Leagues' best defense, on the road against a team undefeated there in a playoff game with AFC Champions likely in the balance, RJ delivered victory with 16 seconds to play.

Very clearly and yes, I'd like to see a repeat of that. Playing against the Leagues' best defense, on the road against a team undefeated there in a playoff game with AFC Champions likely in the balance, RJ delivered victory with 16 seconds to play.

Oh snap -- you went there. Thread implodes. I'm ducking for cover.

Thank you for this post. Seriously.

If Leinart blows up for 200 yds and 2 tds no ints in the first half watch this board go apes**t.

Who can explain to me how this would be even possible. If you have read the interviews Leinhart has given, he will only have a very small list of plays that he will know well enough to be comfortable running. I would be willing to bet most if not all will be short pass plays and run plays. I will be happy just to see him stay on the field and not get hurt, and not throw a bunch of picks and incomplete passes.

BigPappy

Leinart sucks. Lets not kid ourselves here.

I have seen Leinart play at a very high level before, but that was at USC. Never seen Tuel play in college. Kids got some game. Even though there is a lot of negativity about Leinart's game, I think he's a solid back up. Come on, he is better than Fitzgerald, so why not have him as a 2nd or third string spot. Never seen Lewis, but we will tonight. This is the only intrigue to this meaningless game.

I'm not going to put much into this game, considering that we'll mostly be facing Lion-scrubs.

But that's what Tuel feasted on and gained such universal acclamation for - indeed he was touted to be put in as THE #1 above EJ on opening day.

Look what happened. :bag: