Who starts at QB vs Detroit ?

papazoid

Leinart can get you those numbers and still stink, because he stinks and cannot play QB in the NFL over any significant amount of time. If you want a back-up QB who half the time can possibly be average, he is your guy. Leinart has no arm, and slow and lumbering in all aspects except his mind. He can see the field and make decisions but his body is big and his movements are slow, his release is slow, and he has little arm strength.

If everything goes right, and there is little rush, he can have decent stats on short accurate throws. He's a brittle, slow, Trent Edwards at best.

Was just discussing Leinart with my work colleague, a long time Cards supporter. His comment - "Leinart will drop back, survey the field and refuse to make the challenging pass, instead looking for the easy dump-off for a three yard gain." I had a two word response to this information, and it appears you would have had the same two word response.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen Leinart play at a very high level before, but that was at USC. Never seen Tuel play in college. Kids got some game. Even though there is a lot of negativity about Leinart's game, I think he's a solid back up. Come on, he is better than Fitzgerald, so why not have him as a 2nd or third string spot. Never seen Lewis, but we will tonight. This is the only intrigue to this meaningless game.

Leinart is not better than Fitz. Don't be foolish. Fitz actually produced in the NFL. He wasn't great, but he had a much better career than Leinart at this point.

LOL -- so tell us what you really think. I've admittedly watched very little of this guy, either in college or since he became a pro. You're usually pretty sound in your assessments so I'm certainly less optimistic than I was when this thread was created.

their analysis is utterly meaningless....

lets look at Leinarts career.....

firest 2 years he started with the Cardinals with Kurt Warmer breathing down his back. As a typical rookie/2nd yr QB mistakes do happene.

The next 2 years he was a back up behind Warner.

The next 2 years he goes to Houston--he had ashot when Schaub went down but was injured and out for the year during year 1, then road the bench in year 2.

last year he was with that disaster that was the Raiders.

He hasn't really gotten a chance. Remember it takes some time for a QB to develop.

But Kelly...how do you really feel about Leinart?

Matt Leinart is a third rate Colt McCoy, and Colt McCoy is fourth rate.

their analysis is utterly meaningless....

lets look at Leinarts career.....

firest 2 years he started with the Cardinals with Kurt Warmer breathing down his back. As a typical rookie/2nd yr QB mistakes do happene.

The next 2 years he was a back up behind Warner.

The next 2 years he goes to Houston--he had ashot when Schaub went down but was injured and out for the year during year 1, then road the bench in year 2.

last year he was with that disaster that was the Raiders.

He hasn't really gotten a chance. Remember it takes some time for a QB to develop.

Except for one thing: you cannot develop when your physical limitations cannot be increased, and Leinart has about three separate ones.

Who is starting? I'm more interested in seeing Tuel with the starters.

I think the starters including Tuel are expected to only see a series or two. Leinart and Lewis will split the rest of the game. The interesting thing will be who between Leinart and Lewis will be the first out. I expect it to be Leinart but we don't know who was able to pick up more of the offense in a few days.

I was making the comparison because Plunkett was considered a bust that got one last chance due to an injury. Not comparing their style of play or arm strength.

Most of us got the comparision. KTD just doesn't like Leinart as a QB and will shoot down any optimistic talk about him.

Who is starting? I'm more interested in seeing Tuel with the starters.

GIven the possibility that Tuel will start against the Pats, it would be great for him to get some reps with the 1st team. I do expect EJ to actually start the season; still the possibility of Tuel playing remains. The more time he gets with the ones - even at the risk of injury - the better.

GIven the possibility that Tuel will start against the Pats, it would be great for him to get some reps with the 1st team. I do expect EJ to actually start the season; still the possibility of Tuel playing remains. The more time he gets with the ones - even at the risk of injury - the better.

Yep. I'm not as down on Tuel as many seem to be and think that with more snaps, he could really surprise.

Most of us got the comparision. KTD just doesn't like Leinart as a QB and will shoot down any optimistic talk about him.

I think that the fact teams were bringing in Jamarcus Russell for looks and not Matt Leinart says I am not the only one.

I also easily understood the comparison. There are several similarities to the two situations and players. I just responded to the fact that it wasn't a true comparison because IMO Leinart could never do it because he lacks the arm and always will, not because he lacked the talent or the opportunity, a liability that has stopped hundreds of great college players over the years. Furthermore the combination of lack of arm strength and slowness of foot exponentially hurts Leinart and always will. And that Plunkett had no such limitations.

I can't help it -- I want to see what this guy has got. I would be thrilled with an EJ/Leinart/Tuel lineup (in that order) if Leinart has matured and is a decent game manager. EJ's the stud, but if he gets "tweaked" along the way Leinart could be "that guy" who can win you a game or two. I still believe Tuel needs some development and would benefit from being the #3.

I'm a big fan of the "career resurrection" stories...

Agreed.

I'd like to express my condolences to anyone watching tonight's game just to see MATT F#8%ING LEINART!

Life can be hard sometimes, and I want you to know you can count on my support. Go Bills.

:doh:

Edited by #34fan

remember when flutie got us to the playoffs and we played a meaningless week 17 against the colts and rob johnson lit them up and then wade phillips decided to start johnson in the wild card game instead of flutie? yeah let's not repeat ourselves here.

It's not a true QB discussion until THE MAGIC FLUTE gets involved.

Agree completely (as I often do with eball).

If I was a castaway I'd name my volleyball "Eball" Then I could agre with "Eball".

Not this time.

Lameheart sucks and always will suck. He makes a lot of money for sucking. I dont hate him like I did Kolb, but I dont like this signing.

I'm more intrigued by that lewis dude.

Leinart sucks. Lets not kid ourselves here.

Cant argue with history. He, like Kolb has suffered a lot of injuries though, and been behind better QB's for most of his career.

I'm more intrigued with Thad. Thad brings some athleticism to the table and sounds like a helluva nice kid. I'll route for both of these guys but I'm more intrigued with Thad than I am Matt.

Either way, most importantly lets hope no one on either team gets injured tonight. And...lets hope EJ and Kolb get healthy again for all the right reasons, one of which is football.

If we have to lose game #1 regular season....so be it. NO MORE INJURIES damnit. Injuries (for any team) ruin it for us avid fans of the game.