Who starts at QB vs Detroit ?

papazoid

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

insight http://sports.yahoo.com/news/much-line-leinart-bills-preseason-193638587--nfl.html

Leinart will have what's essentially a one-time tryout to compete for a backup spot as the Bills (2-1) close the preseason against Detroit (2-1) Thursday. Tuel is expected to get limited playing time because the Bills are wary of having yet another quarterback hurt before opening against New England on Sept. 8.

That means Leinart and Thaddeus Lewis, who was acquired Sunday in a trade with Detroit, will get the majority of snaps after only two days of practice and a walkthrough.

''I'm just excited to be here, obviously, and humbled and just thankful for the opportunity,'' said Leinart, who is on his third team in as many seasons. ''For me, at this point, I don't feel like there's anything to lose. That's exciting because I've had a lot of pressure over the years.''

by now they know what they have in Tuel....

I say start Leinart thru first half, play lewis in second half.

I think it will be Tuel Time for a series, maybe two, then it will be all Leinart then "What's His Name?" will play the second half.

by now they know what they have in Tuel....

I say start Leinart thru first half, play lewis in second half.

This is a joke, right? You seriously don't think they are going play Tuel for a half to three quarters to give him a little experience before he faces the wolves next week? Even if Leinart & Lewis can handle a snap they don't know enough plays to last a series.

This is a joke, right? You seriously don't think they are going play Tuel for a half to three quarters to give him a little experience before he faces the wolves next week? Even if Leinart & Lewis can handle a snap they don't know enough plays to last a series.

I am assuming since this quote is from John Wawrow, that he got this from the team (qouted above) " Tuel is expected to get limited playing time because the Bills are wary of having yet another quarterback hurt before opening against New England on Sept. 8."

That means Leinart and Thaddeus Lewis, who was acquired Sunday in a trade with Detroit, will get the majority of snaps after only two days of practice and a walkthrough.

Reading between the lines in giving Tuel little playing time tonight suggests the team is still planning on starting EJ next Sunday. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to limit Tuel's plays since he looked underwhelming with the first string so far.

I can't help it -- I want to see what this guy has got. I would be thrilled with an EJ/Leinart/Tuel lineup (in that order) if Leinart has matured and is a decent game manager. EJ's the stud, but if he gets "tweaked" along the way Leinart could be "that guy" who can win you a game or two. I still believe Tuel needs some development and would benefit from being the #3.

I'm a big fan of the "career resurrection" stories...

I've said it many times, Leinart had a great interview with John Murphy. it is well worth the listen. He mentioned the maturing process he has gone through. Said that the injuries really took a toll on him mentally.

I was happy to hear he was willing to take on a leadership role and help teach Manuel and Tuel.

I am with you eball. I'm excited to see what he can do.

The current QB situation does add a lot more intrigue to what otherwise would have been a glorified practice . . . I am more interested in Lewis, I think he is far more athletic and has a bigger upside than Lienart. It will be interesting to see how they perform (as well as Tuel - will he take advantage of this opportunity?).

I thought Leinart finally had his chance to break away from obscurity 2 years ago in Houston when Schaub went down. Leinart started the next game and looked really good, but inevitably got injured near the end of that same game. Houston had to roll with rookie TJ Yates the rest of the year & lost in their 2nd playoff game. I can't help wonder what would've happened if Leinart stayed healthy for that run. He seemed light years better than Yates.

I think Leinart can be a decent backup for us, but with only a week to prepare, I'm not expecting anything soon.

Reading between the lines in giving Tuel little playing time tonight suggests the team is still planning on starting EJ next Sunday. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to limit Tuel's plays since he looked underwhelming with the first string so far.

We haven't seen much of him with the first string O so he needs to play at least in a limited fashion in a game environment.

Also, if indeed he gets l limited playing time tonight, it will be to protect him. As I had noted earlier, we are down to the only QB who has extensive knowledge and experience with the playbook. First and foremost he needs to be protected.

I would love to have a glorified backup solidified too. It seems so many of these guys that are drifters have played for Arizona? and have a long history of injuries? and we pick them up ? Coincidence? We're really falling back on putting blame on the O-line of Arizona in our front office.

I would love to have a glorified backup solidified too. It seems so many of these guys that are drifters have played for Arizona? and have a long history of injuries? and we pick them up ? Coincidence? We're really falling back on putting blame on the O-line of Arizona in our front office.

I love acqusations that dont make any damn sense at all. This crap on this board is insane. No one has said this, except for you.

I'd be thrilled. We'd have our backup and spot starter.

Leinart can get you those numbers and still stink, because he stinks and cannot play QB in the NFL over any significant amount of time. If you want a back-up QB who half the time can possibly be average, he is your guy. Leinart has no arm, and slow and lumbering in all aspects except his mind. He can see the field and make decisions but his body is big and his movements are slow, his release is slow, and he has little arm strength.

All of those things combined make him a crappy QB. If there is no rush, and he needs to throw up to 15-20 yards down the middle he can be okay. He's accurate on those plays. But if there is any rush he cannot get the ball out quickly enough, if it is anywhere downfield he cannot get the ball there quickly enough, or far enough, and because he is so lumbering and slow, his shoulders and body take way more contact than other guys which is why he gets hurt all the time.

He is a huge tease and terrible NF quarterback. It was evident before he was drafted ( I wouldnt have taken him in any round). And it's been repeatedly proven. If everything goes right, and there is little rush, he can have decent stats on short accurate throws. He's a brittle, slow, Trent Edwards at best.

Leinart can get you those numbers and still stink, because he stinks and cannot play QB in the NFL over any significant amount of time. If you want a back-up QB who half the time can possibly be average, he is your guy. Leinart has no arm, and slow and lumbering in all aspects except his mind. He can see the field and make decisions but his body is big and his movements are slow, his release is slow, and he has little arm strength.

All of those things combined make him a crappy QB. If there is no rush, and he needs to throw up to 15-20 yards down the middle he can be okay. He's accurate on those plays. But if there is any rush he cannot get the ball out quickly enough, if it is anywhere downfield he cannot get the ball there quickly enough, or far enough, and because he is so lumbering and slow, his shoulders and body take way more contact than other guys which is why he gets hurt all the time.

He is a huge tease and terrible NF quarterback. It was evident before he was drafted ( I wouldnt have taken him in any round). And it's been repeatedly proven. If everything goes right, and there is little rush, he can have decent stats on short accurate throws. He's a brittle, slow, Trent Edwards at best.

So you don't think he'll light it up tonight?