Doug Marrone grows irritated

jw was probably looking for this: "Mario has injured his foot. We have no information right now as to the extent of the injury. He ishaving another medical evaluation today. We will base his return on medical opinions. Until then he is excused from practice."

No how hard would it for him to prepare a statement like that before he walked out there in front of the press?

That was the extent of Marrone's answers on Sunday.

And Monday.

And Tuesday.

The scribes just didn't like the answer and continued to press the issue. Any reasonable person would get testy after three days of the same line of questioning. It sounded like a DELIBERATE attempt to get under his skin. And he snapped at them as a result.

By far the bigger issue is what occurred in the immediate aftermath and how they (the media) circled the wagons and wrote hatchet articles suggesting if Marrone loses his cool here, then how can he be equipped to run an NFL team. Complete connect the dots crap.

Marrone served notice and I look for more deliberate attempts by the usual hacks that just don't like being admonished by their subject as a result.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the extent of Marrone's answers on Sunday.

And Monday.

And Tuesday.

The scribes just didn't like the answer and continued to press the issue. Any reasonable person would get testy after three days of the same line of questioning. It sounded like a DELIBERATE attempt to get under his skin. And he snapped at them as a result.

By far the bigger issue is what occurred in the immediate aftermath and how they (the media) circled the wagons and wrote hatchet articles suggesting if Marrone loses his cool here, then how can he be equipped to run an NFL team. Complete connect the dots crap.

Marrone served notice and I look for more deliberate attempts by the usual hacks that just don't like being admonished by their subject as a result.

GO BILLS!!!

Shillin for jw

This is the progression of the questions yesterday:

-- Marrone was asked for an update on injury or report in hand. Told he had no contact with anyone regarding Mario.

-- Asked if he knew when Mario would return. Said he didn't know.

-- Asked if he was still being evaluated. He said yes.

-- Asked if it was odd he hadn't been contacted by Mario. He said they have a great relationship.

-- Asked if he had been excused by the team to leave campus. Of course.

They are not the same question asked differently. To me it's a logical progression to find out about the whereabouts/circumstances of the Bills' most mercurial player. To me Williams' foot injury was odd, and the way the team handled the news made it odder. If I were a reporter, I would follow the same kind of questions until the team gave a satisfactory answer. Which they did through a leaked story to PFT within an hour of the PC. That's a bigger knock on the PR department than on Marrone.

Shillin for jw

This is the progression of the questions yesterday:

They are not the same question asked differently. To me it's a logical progression to find out about the whereabouts/circumstances of the Bills' most mercurial player. To me Williams' foot injury was odd, and the way the team handled the news made it odder. If I were a reporter, I would follow the same kind of questions until the team gave a satisfactory answer. Which they did through a leaked story to PFT within an hour of the PC. That's a bigger knock on the PR department than on Marrone.

You forgot to include the progressions of questions from Sunday.

And Monday.

It's easy to see how someone could find it tiresome after a while. Especially after taking the time to couch his remarks which included sympathizing with the jobs that reporters have to do.

Like I said, that's not the big issue. The big issue is the aftermath reporting which started mere seconds after the event. It came across as childish and vindictive. As if they were serving notice right back to Marrone. As you suggested earlier, his explanation of a botched decision to go for it on 4th down or fake a FG, etc. will be fun to watch. These reporters are used to a completely different type of personality coming from a Bills HC.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

And Monday.

It's easy to see how someone could find it tiresome after a while. Especially after taking the time to couch his remarks which included sympathizing with the jobs that reporters have to do.

Like I said, that's not the big issue. The big issue is the aftermath reporting which started mere seconds after the event. It came across as childish and vindictive. As if they were serving notice right back to Marrone. As you suggested earlier, his explanation of a botched decision to go for it on 4th down or fake a FG, etc. will be fun to watch. These reporters are used to a completely different type of personality coming from a Bills HC.

GO BILLS!!!

Didn't the situation at camp change from Sunday to Monday to Tuesday? I don't think there would be many Mario questions on Tuesday if he wasn't missing from Pittsford and no one could say where he was.

Didn't the situation at camp change from Sunday to Monday to Tuesday? I don't think there would be many Mario questions on Tuesday if he wasn't missing from Pittsford and no one could say where he was.

Not in Marrone's estimation, it seems.

And I don't think it's a question of could say. I think It's more would say.

Again, that's not the point as I see it. The point is that after Marrone gave his disclaimer, which came after two days of questioning on the matter and included his sympathetic remarks, a reporter saw fit to ask yet another question on the heels of that disclaimer. That's what elicited Marrone's reaction, which is understandable in my view. It should have ended there, but the media saw fit to start putting out their hatchet pieces, some or which questioned Marrone's ability to keep a cool head during game situations. Some may be ok with connecting those dots. I think it was a retaliatory hatchet job. I find that childish, unprofessional, and it just doesn't sit well with me.

Seeing as how Marrone and JW have moved on, I will, too.,

GO BILLS!!!

I love it! The Buffalo media flat sucks outside a couple guys and they need their collective asses kicked. Marrone won't put up with their bull **** and I love it. For years the media feels this need to ask the same damn question 8000 different ways and the answer is always the same.

Marrone told them he understood he had a job to do and answered them truthfully, but they wouldn't stop asking the same Mario **** over and over and he smacked them for it.

BTW as for as growing thicker skin, lets see guys who has had issues with the media, Parcells, Saban, Coughlin etal. Most of those guys are WINNERS and they just don't have time to screw with a bunch of tarded press. I loved how parcells would just make them look like the dip ***** they are. I hope Marrone is the same.

Bingo. It's his first camp, and I believe that Marrone knew exactly what he was doing with this whole Wawrow exchange. It sets the tone with the press as much as anything. The fact that it happened sort of organically with JW, the Joe Friday/AP straight-shooter, tells me that Marrone wants to cut the b.s. and set those fringe idiots straight right from the get-go.

And as far as this display of "thin skin" as some have called it ... I have news for (some) of you ... good coaches who get the best out of their players do not typically have very "thick skin". Marrone sure seems more in the mold of a Parcells/Peyton/Coughlin rather than a Jauron/Gailey/Dungy.

And I do think this coach is going to be a very good hire for this long-suffering franchise, but things won't be so easy for the petulant local press corps members like Sully, Graham, Maiorana, etc. who won't have much else to write about.

A previous poster mentioned how much he now misses Felser, Kelley, & Carucci --- in my best Hulk Hogan voice, "Amen brother!"

Good thing Marrone didn't take a job in a place like NYC if he gets that irritated so easily.

Good thing Graham, Harrington, and Maiorana didn't take jobs in a place like NYC if they get so defensive and irritated by the public that easily.

Most media members are nerds who could never play football at any level. They are annoying & live in the world of hindsight. They never admit fault and are the first ones to year you down. Media members live in a world where a geek like Jerry Sullivan can call Mario Williams a loser & not have his head ripped off by a man who's life is superior in every way over Sullivan's.

That said, being annoying is their job. I couldn't do it but its what they're supposed to do. At the same time, when you act annoying people will respond. I love Marrone's fire.

And Monday.

I don't think it's a stretch to expect they've gained more info since Sunday. Edited by Carey Bender

You don't have to pass an IQ test to become a reporter...

I honestly cringe when I hear some of the questions these Bills reporters ask on a daily basis, what a bunch of tools...

And what makes you think reporters covering the other 31 teams aren't asking the same exact types of questions?

And what makes you think reporters covering the other 31 teams aren't asking the same exact types of questions?

If every other team dressed up a donkey and told him to play quarterback, I wouldn't expect/want The Bills to do the same. Buffalo reporters ask TERRIBLE questions. In fact, I'd stop short of calling them "questions." Every time I listen to a press conference all I hear is a bunch of writers talking, hoping the the players/coaches will chime in with something to affirm their meandering 40-word lede.

Edited by The Big Cat

They probably are and doesn't make them any better. The poster you're replying to never implied they weren't.

I don't think it's a stretch to expect they've gained more info since Sunday.

Not a stretch at all. In fact it's likely the Bills had more information.Hell, perhaps the added information about Mario's conditions just added to Marrone's level of irritability. Who knows? But that's not the issue that I have.

GO BILLS!!!

If every other team dressed up a donkey and told him to play quarterback, I wouldn't expect/want The Bills to do the same. Buffalo reporters ask TERRIBLE questions. In fact, I'd stop short of calling them "questions." Every time I listen to a press conference all I hear is a bunch of writers talking, hoping the the players/coaches will chime in with something to affirm their meandering 40-word lede.

It was bugging me that I couldn't put my finger on how to describe my dissatisfaction with some of these reporters and you just hit the nail on the head for me. They actually editorialize during the some of these PCs for crissakes and they are looking more for affirmation rather than information it seems.

GO BILLS!!!

Not a stretch at all. In fact it's likely the Bills had more information.Hell, perhaps the added information about Mario's conditions just added to Marrone's level of irritability. Who knows? But that's not the issue that I have.

GO BILLS!!!

It was bugging me that I couldn't put my finger on how to describe my dissatisfaction with some of these reporters and you just hit the nail on the head for me. They actually editorialize during the some of these PCs for crissakes and they are looking more for affirmation rather than information it seems.

GO BILLS!!!

They also take a lack of news to infer something that may or may not be happening. I refer to a recent camp report by Timmy & Jay. They said there was no news on Mario and started to suggest there was something to it.

Even crazier is how one reporter takes another reporter's heresay and reports on that. Then another reports on that report. Suddenly it's bonafide news when nothing actually happened. :doh:

PTR

Wow you are defensive, what make you think i'm bashing buffalo?

I'm not being defensive. I'm not defending anyone. I'm just wondering why it seems that people think Buffalo's reporters are the worst in the league. I'm not saying they're great. I'm just wondering if this is the norm, as far as NFL beat reporting goes.

As far as you claiming not to be bashing anyone ... "you don't have to pass an IQ test to become a reporter...what a bunch of tools" - - that's bashing.

But don't confuse me with someone who gives a crap. I don't know those dudes, so bash away.

I'm not being defensive. I'm not defending anyone. I'm just wondering why it seems that people think Buffalo's reporters are the worst in the league. I'm not saying they're great. I'm just wondering if this is the norm, as far as NFL beat reporting goes.

As far as you claiming not to be bashing anyone ... "you don't have to pass an IQ test to become a reporter...what a bunch of tools" - - that's bashing.

But don't confuse me with someone who gives a crap. I don't know those dudes, so bash away.

Probably because we are most familiar with them. They may not be the worst. They may be quite typical.