What is the Longest you have been at one place of employment?

millbank

About 6 years is my longest, usually because I either find something better out of the blue, or the company I'm at has layoffs/goes out of business.

But my father, had the same job from when he graduated college to when he retired, somewhere around 40 years.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my dad was the same way...37 years at NiMo, they offered him a sweet retirement package(along with his pension) when he was 56...he took it and has been living large since.

About 6 years is my longest, usually because I either find something better out of the blue, or the company I'm at has layoffs/goes out of business.

But my father, had the same job from when he graduated college to when he retired, somewhere around 40 years.

my dad was the same way...37 years at NiMo, they offered him a sweet retirement package(along with his pension) when he was 56...he took it and has been living large since.

My dad worked at a couple mills, then became a mailman. He delivered mail for over 30 years and also took an early retirement in 1993. He's doing great in his 20th year of retirement. My mom, same thing - worked as a nurse's aide in the same hospital in the same "department" for over 25 years. She, too, is doing great. I love that they've been able to enjoy retirement after working so hard for so many years.

I have been at my current full-time job, in one form another (swithced positions) for 11.5 years...at a part-time record store job for 13 years! I have a tendancy to stick around...just talking about this with an old high-school friend I recently re-connected with on Facebook... we have both been in the work force, as full-time employees for 27 years...he has been with Boeing for 25 years... I don't know that I know anyone my age (I am 48) who has been at a job that long.

That's the beauty of many sales careers. Your potential is oftentimes never capped. I have a rep who when he started 11 years ago made $35k his first year. He's on track to make probably $700k this year.

Yes, but you work in retail side distribution, and your earning potential is always going to be heavily influenced by changes in regulatory guidelines, the commissions paid by on the products you've sold, and the contract you opperate with which usually greatly limits any external mobility because of non-compete clauses.

If your upper goal is to be a retail side salesman working in distribution, then that's a great thing. If that's not your upper goal, then not so much. As I said, don't become sedentary until you are in the final position you wish to hold.

I'm a freaking rock. Same wife since 1982. Same house since 1983. Same job since 1987. I once had a 1979 Transam bought new that I kept for 19 years

I agree with what some posters here have said about people having to change jobs a lot and quicker. I have been very lucky in my employment, never a day off since I was 19.

I think 2 1/2 years LaZBoy/Pennsylvania House, running their warehouse. UPS is the only company that I worked for (in college) that has not shut down/been sold off either as I worked there or shortly after.

35 years with United Airlines. I turned 55 and 3 weeks later they filed CH 11. Retired in 2003, they dumped our pensions into PBGC in 2004 :sick: , I had no idea what PBGC was, or that United could do such a thing when I decided to retire. Same thing happened to many WNY'er's in the Steel & Auto industries. So they go thru "Bankruptcy," emerge as the "new" United Airlines and suddenly have Billions to spend on new 787's & A-350's. :censored: WTF!!! I was blessed, found another job (56 years old) and have been there 9.5 so far. Hopefully I'll try to really retire in the next year or two with a small State Pension-unless they go broke too!.

35 years with United Airlines. I turned 55 and 3 weeks later they filed CH 11. Retired in 2003, they dumped our pensions into PBGC in 2004 :sick: , I had no idea what PBGC was, or that United could do such a thing when I decided to retire. Same thing happened to many WNY'er's in the Steel & Auto industries. So they go thru "Bankruptcy," emerge as the "new" United Airlines and suddenly have Billions to spend on new 787's & A-350's. :censored: WTF!!! I was blessed, found another job (56 years old) and have been there 9.5 so far. Hopefully I'll try to really retire in the next year or two with a small State Pension-unless they go broke too!.

Holy hell that sucks.

37 years, but i retire next year.

Congrats...

This sucks ...