What is the Longest you have been at one place of employment?

millbank

Was speaking with poster regarding place of employment, job, poster told me they had been on that job for 35 years. Today it seems for many the notion of acquiring skills, training via education, finding a workplace, providing you do what is asked of you, keep you nose clean so to speak you have job for life. This not so today clearly. Many do well being with employer for even five years. Personally I have farmed for now 73 yrs. coming this July , but held city job, the longest period eight years. Simple question , "What is the Longest you have been employed at any location/workplace? I marvel at people who have been employed by a particular employer for 50 - even 60 yrs. It scary for me in terms of what our future portends the many young who must move from job to job, often hold two or three jobs. This impacts us as a people is so many negative ways. imo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was speaking with poster regarding place of employment, job, poster told me they had been on that job for 35 years. Today it seems for many the notion of acquiring skills, training via education, finding a workplace, providing you do what is asked of you, keep you nose clean so to speak you have job for life. This not so today clearly. Many do well being with employer for even five years. Personally I have farmed for now 73 yrs. coming this July , but held city job, the longest period eight years. Simple question , "What is the Longest you have been employed at any location/workplace? I marvel at people who have been employed by a particular employer for 50 - even 60 yrs. It scary for me in terms of what our future portends the many young who must move from job to job, often hold two or three jobs. This impacts us as a people is so many negative ways. imo

How?

8 years for me.

The "new economy" does not tend to create long term employment situations. People leave whether by their choice or the companies choice. I also think there are many who prefer working for themselves or to take on shorter term assignments.

3 years. NYS DOCS.

We've got a guy here that's gonna have 50 soon. I think 3rd in seniority in the state. He's the only one left that can give us his personal experience of the riots.

Edited by mrags

Started working on a machine when I was 16 at my grandparents factory (might've been illegal, whoops). After 9 years, I've moved up into a cozy office position where I still work about 25-30 hrs a week. I also coach football in the fall, baseball in the spring and substitute teach when I can. I really like the change-up in my duties from season to season. It keeps everything somewhat new and fresh.

True, but is that a bad thing as mill contends?

It really depends on the person.

Personally, I have enjoyed the stability; although the last 5 or so years haven't felt stable, and it's sucked.

My sister is ALWAYS looking for something else. She enjoys change. Many people do.

If it was just me, or just my wife and me, I would have likely pursued something else. I think stability is something more important to families with school-age children in most cases.

we are moving away from a career with a singular company, towards a short term contract style. graduates today can expect an obscene number of job changes compared to their parents.

That is going to wreak havoc on their retirment savings seeing it will most likely be up to them to save because they will probably have no access to a 401k. We're are seeing it already

BTW 12 years with my current company.

True, but is that a bad thing as mill contends?

Yes it is a bad thing. Other than the 401k thing there is a lot to be said for stability. There are a lot of contract tech people here in the Bay Area and the stress they go through every time their contract is coming due wears on them.

In most industries, if you're looking to improve your position and earning potential, you should not stay in any one position for more than 2 1/2-3 years. If you like the company you work for, you should first look for new opportunities within that company, however if that fails you should market yourself elsewhere. More than 3 years in a single position signifies to potential employers that you may have capped out your potential, or are a settler who punches a time clock and is unambitious. Don't become sedentary until you are in the final position you wish to hold, earning the upper salary you want, with the last company you wish to work for; bec ause once you become sedentary, that's what you've locked yourself into.

There are a lot of contract tech people here in the Bay Area and the stress they go through every time their contract is coming due wears on them.

I have a very close friend who worked as a contract tech person for NYS DOT for year. It was very stressful. Then he finally got a full-time gig with them, and he's been given a pink slip twice because of the schit union he's forced to be part of. He survived both times, but - like many other jobs - there's no feeling of security.

In most industries, if you're looking to improve your position and earning potential, you should not stay in any one position for more than 2 1/2-3 years. If you like the company you work for, you should first look for new opportunities within that company, however if that fails you should market yourself elsewhere. More than 3 years in a single position signifies to potential employers that you may have capped out your potential, or are a settler who punches a time clock and is unambitious. Don't become sedentary until you are in the final position you wish to hold, earning the upper salary you want, with the last company you wish to work for; bec ause once you become sedentary, that's what you've locked yourself into.

I agree with this 100%. In my nearly 18 years here, I've made numerous moves; all of which either lateral or upward. In fact, I'm ready for another change now and I'm starting to pull strings to lay the groundwork.

I have a Plan B, but it will require moving out of state, which isn't preferred - but also not out of the question if push comes to shove.

That's the beauty of many sales careers. Your potential is oftentimes never capped. I have a rep who when he started 11 years ago made $35k his first year. He's on track to make probably $700k this year.

That's the beauty of many sales careers. Your potential is oftentimes never capped. I have a rep who when he started 11 years ago made $35k his first year. He's on track to make probably $700k this year.

Preserve that capital at all costs.