Criticism of Pettine from Jets Nation?

If not Pettine...then who? I think we got one of the better DC's out there. Nobody comes to mind that would have been a better selection, although time will tell.

Who cares what Jets Fans think ? I certainly dont ! LOL !

jb

Jets fans are just doing their version of our own "it was Wanny, not the players" routine.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, really.

If we blitz once this entire season, we will hail Pettine as an ultra-aggressive coordinator.

I am not too worried.

True that.

And if you're Pettine, who are you blitzing with last year? With Revis hurt, your security blanket was gone.

The Jets haven't had really any good individual pass-rushers the past 3-4 years. There's a reason why they took a gamble on Maybin.

An ESPN blurb I picked up via PFT this morning seems to imply criticism of Bills new DC Mike Pettine.

Ironically the criticism is that the Jets defense was not aggressive enough over the last two seasons when Pettine assumed a larger role in the defensive play calling. Considering that the Bills D seemed to be blitz crazy during OTAs and minicamp this offseason, the allegations seem strange to say the least.

But apparently the statistics back up the claims:

http://espn.go.com/b...rand-of-defense

The statistics don't lie. Here's a breakdown of the Jets' blitz percentage (5+ pass rushers) over the past four seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information: 52.4 percent in '09 (first in NFL), 44.7 percent in '10 (third), 32.8 percent in '11 (12th) and 34.0 percent in '12 (11th). Detect a trend? In fairness to Pettine, he lost the top corner in football, Darrelle Revis, which may have caused him to become more cautious. Yet when I mentioned that alibi to two players, they shot it down, saying Antonio Cromartie capably replaced Revis as the No. 1 corner. I'll say this: The defense will be fun to watch in 2013.

The piece also mentions Pettine's "mysterious lateral move to become the Bills' DC."

Excellent find. I must confess wondering about the fairly easy breakup between Rex (a great DC) and Pettine. I'm going to hope for the best. Losing Revis was huge. They were fifth in defense last year and eight this year in yards given up, but in both seasons they were 20th in points given up.

In 2010, they were third in yards given up and sixth in points given up. In 2009, they were first overall in both yards and points.

Btw, Cromartie had a reputation as a feast or famine player, and he used to get burned a lot. However, he had a phenomenal year last year: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/06/afc-easts-best-no-24-antonio-cromartie.html.

Yeah, really.

If we blitz once this entire season, we will hail Pettine as an ultra-aggressive coordinator.

I am not too worried.

Oh how I remember the "our savior is here, but even if he disappoints it couldn't get worse" last year

Oh how I remember the "our savior is here, but even if he disappoints it couldn't get worse" last year

Even the national media generally believed that Wannstedt would do a good job.

It's kind of incomprehensible that you could take those players and have that poor of a defense.

There were a lot of people rightfully shocked at the suckitude of the Bills D.

That's why ultimately all the discussion is meaningless.

But we're still gonna have the discussions.

It's kind of incomprehensible that you could take those players and have that poor of a defense.

Fair enough, on all fronts. Not trying to knock, just been awhile since anyone's really questioned the D or pettine. I like the hire, I'm hopeful but certainly not a gimme either

Fair enough, on all fronts. Not trying to knock, just been awhile since anyone's really questioned the D or pettine. I like the hire, I'm hopeful but certainly not a gimme either

Of course "the pessimists" were skeptical of the Wanny promotion pointing out that he didn't seem to have much of a positive impact as an assistant and that his reputation was largely built on talented teams a long time ago.

The bastards were actually right in this case.

:)

Could it be something as simple as Pettine knowing in 2012 that he had a group of old, slow, unathletic players (and minus Revis)

And that any fool knows if you try to go blitz happy with a group like that you will get burned for big plays?

Just sayin

Valid point.

He may have also wanted distance between himself and the baboon hatchery that was the 2012 Jets. -I'm still laughing at Rex's expression post-butt fumble.

Edited by #34fan

A legit criticism of Pettine that I have heard from Jets fans is that he was one of the people within the Jets organization that was leaking out delicate info about the players and the coaching staff. That's a huge red flag but I like to think that as unprofessional as that was (And damaging to the team) maybe that's just how unprofessional the Jets organization was and it was that bad.

The aggressiveness is not a issue I am concerned with.

The Jets being 20th in points allowed last year probably has something to do with their offense giving up 37 turnovers which was tied for #1 in the entire league. The Jets were #3 in the league in turnovers in 2011 with 34. No matter how good the D is if you keep putting them in those situations they're going to give up points.

1) Pettine was offered an extension which he, of course, did not sign. He probably had good reasons for not doing so.

2) He was always going to be under the shadow of Rex Ryan.

3) The coaching future of Rex Ryan in New York is tenuous at best. This could be his last year and the Sanchez/Smith tandem does not look capable of saving his bacon.

4) He was being criticized for being the source of stories about the Jets locker room that tended to make the organization look bad but give Rex some cover

His "lateral move" is consistent with all of this.

Also, if you send a corner or safety but drop a down lineman into coverage, this does not count as a blitz because there are still only 4 involved. The article said 5 or more pass rushers. Hence the need for hybrid players that are versatile enough for different parts of the field.

People have, rightfully, pointed out that we thought that Wanny was going to be our savior on defense last year. I thought so, at the time.

But out of curiosity, who can remember Wanny having anywhere even close to the energy Pettine has shown?Pettine isn't even that energetic, and I still think he beats Wanny. The man seems to have a grim determination at all times.

Of course, it's way too early to say for certain but...well, come on we're going to do it anyway.

I believe some of the players like Nick Barnett and George Wilson free-lanced too often, meaning ignored what the Coaching staff had for them.

A legit criticism of Pettine that I have heard from Jets fans is that he was one of the people within the Jets organization that was leaking out delicate info about the players and the coaching staff. That's a huge red flag but I like to think that as unprofessional as that was (And damaging to the team) maybe that's just how unprofessional the Jets organization was and it was that bad.

The aggressiveness is not a issue I am concerned with.

Got a link? That would be interesting reading (if it came from a source other than jests fans).

The Jets being 20th in points allowed last year probably has something to do with their offense giving up 37 turnovers which was tied for #1 in the entire league. The Jets were #3 in the league in turnovers in 2011 with 34. No matter how good the D is if you keep putting them in those situations they're going to give up points.

Totally agree. They were 8th best in TOs lost in 2010 and 20th in 2009. Last year, they were 30th, and in 2009 they were 29th.

Edited by dave mcbride