Chris Berman

I have to believe this isn't true the more I think about it...besides the lack of links, it seems Berman just re-newed his contract with ESPN in 2012...and this would be such a major move, I think they would not have likely made it on the eve of the NFL season....this would be like KFC firing the Colonel! Who would sign somebody to big contract extension, and then let them walk less than a year later? :rolleyes:

Edited by Buftex

I think it was mis-heard also....

ESPN Lays Off The Schwab

ESPN resident statistics guru Howie Schwab — who you probably know from the show he once hosted called Stump The Schwab — was laid off. The Worldwide Leader had a second round of 2013 layoffs yesterday, and Schwab unfortunately did not survive. His popular trivia show pitted him against sports fans and featured questions involving sports statistics.

No link....heard this on my sports talk station about an hour ago.

I'm not saying you are wrong on the Berman departure because I simply don't know. Yesterday on the Dan Patrick Show on a DirectV production Patrick talked about the release of the Schwab, a long time employee of ESPN. I thought Patrick was going to cry. He was very upset with the ESPN business "cuts". He stated that this an ill-timed firiing for him because he is currently taking care of his partially paralyzed wife.

In regards to Berman he made the comment that Berman is an ESPN icon and that he was a major contributor to the success of ESPN. He stated that the cost cutting company owes a lot of loyalty to people who were the bedrock of that network's success. And he put Berman in that special category.

When I was young, my dad was a hardcore Niners fan, and him and I were always competitive. Well as a little kid I loved Payton and the Bears. When Payton retired I didn't really have a favorite anymore. Well Berman every year (as you all know) would pick Niners and Buffalo in the SB no matter how good or bad the teams were. Well, on my fathers side of the family, we raised cattle and such. One day my grandfather for just the hell of it bought a Buffalo at a cattle auction and threw it in the corral with the cattle. Well to a young boy that was like seeing a dinosaur. So between Berman always putting the Bills against the Niners in the SB, I had already started to pay attention to the Bills. Then the Buffalo we owned put it over the top for me as I thought that was the coolest animal I had ever seen. Shortly after was when the Bills got Kelly, Thurman etc and I was just getting of age to really understand and play football, and I fell in love with the K-Gun high powered offense and been a die hard fan ever since.

I've done quite a few things in my life "just for the hell of it," but I can say with certainty that this never entered into the realm of possibility for me.

Whoa!!! Really? That sucks! Funny story, he's a big reason of how I became a Bills fan considering I have never been to Buffalo.

When I was young, my dad was a hardcore Niners fan, and him and I were always competitive. Well as a little kid I loved Payton and the Bears. When Payton retired I didn't really have a favorite anymore. Well Berman every year (as you all know) would pick Niners and Buffalo in the SB no matter how good or bad the teams were. Well, on my fathers side of the family, we raised cattle and such. One day my grandfather for just the hell of it bought a Buffalo at a cattle auction and threw it in the corral with the cattle. Well to a young boy that was like seeing a dinosaur. So between Berman always putting the Bills against the Niners in the SB, I had already started to pay attention to the Bills. Then the Buffalo we owned put it over the top for me as I thought that was the coolest animal I had ever seen. Shortly after was when the Bills got Kelly, Thurman etc and I was just getting of age to really understand and play football, and I fell in love with the K-Gun high powered offense and been a die hard fan ever since.

So thank you Chris Berman for introducing me to decades of disappointment and agony, I wouldnt change a thing or have it any other way!

GO BILLS!!!

This.

I was born and raised in buffalo, Bailey-Kensington area. So I'm genetically a Bills fan. Used to sell pretzels at the stadium during the glory years ("wait, I get to see the games for free AND make money???!!!" And of course Bocce's or Bob-N-Johns, or sometimes John Young's King of Wings on Delavan got a good chunk of that money on the way home)

I've lived in other cities (currently in LA) and left B'lo about 20 years ago. This is probably my most favorite story of how a non-Buffalonian became a Bills fan.

And yes, Buffaloes are cool. I remember the first time I saw them at the Buffalo Zoo.

Rock on, sir.

Edited by maddenboy