Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

I don't discount the talent around him at all. But are you suggesting that if Byrd had an equally talented surrounding cast, that he would be just as fast and athletic as Reed? It's that sheer athleticism that separates the two more than anything else.

Like I said, it works both ways. Someone with Reed's unique ability allows a lot more scheme flexibility and his front seven benefits from that as well. Simply put, I have never seen anyone own the middle of the secondary like Ed Reed.

GO BILLS!!!

Hear, hear. Crazy talk trying to equate Byrd to Reed. It's like saying Schobel was the same player that Bruce Smith was.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling this will not end up in the Bills favor.

I think Byrd's days as a Bill are numbered.

I hope we keep him but I dont see it working out

CBF

He'll be here this year; beyond that who knows?

Funny thing is, guys that hold out have a strange and common history of getting injured, which I hope doesn't happen here.

he means NOT as a HotDog vendor.

That would have been a step up compared to some of the things they had me doing as a 10 year old gopher up in the stat box at the Rockpile. Later on, got to assemble play books, broke down and compiled tapes (we thought betamax was a miracle). Got to speak to dozens of scouts over the years. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything though. Taught me how to see the game.

GO BILLS!!!

That would have been a step up compared to some of the things they had me doing as a 10 year old gopher up in the stat box at the Rockpile. Later on, got to assemble play books, broke down and compiled tapes (we thought betamax was a miracle). Got to speak to dozens of scouts over the years. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything though. Taught me how to see the game.

GO BILLS!!!

glad you knew I was joking. Sometimes my sarcasm button doesn't work.

Sounds like a great experience man. Would love it if that was me.

I've read nearly every post in this thread and I will say that I have been eagerly waiting to hear some news on Byrd's contract. I hope he gets signed because I believe he is talented and should get top 5 money. Highest paid, no.

One thing I have noticed though is how cynical the posts have gotten. People who start talking about holding out and trying to equate that to the individual as a person or how they will perform down the road, just sounds like another Bill's fan turned wonky. I know being a fan of the Bill's has it's down side sometimes but sheesh.

I want Byrd on the team because he has been a good soldier and because he has performed at a high level. I think he should be paid according to his performance and because he is still young enough to contribute at a high level. Byrd is holding out for the best deal he can get because this is the best opportunity he is ever likely going to get. However things play out, his ethics or his speculated performance down the road should not be in question. Don't lose site of what it means to be a fan of the Bills by wallowing in your cynicism and misery. Misery that should be left where it belongs...in the past.

You didn't have to swear.

I like your attitude, SJBF.. You know how to lighten up.

I've read nearly every post in this thread and I will say that I have been eagerly waiting to hear some news on Byrd's contract. I hope he gets signed because I believe he is talented and should get top 5 money. Highest paid, no.

One thing I have noticed though is how cynical the posts have gotten. People who start talking about holding out and trying to equate that to the individual as a person or how they will perform down the road, just sounds like another Bill's fan turned wonky. I know being a fan of the Bill's has it's down side sometimes but sheesh.

I want Byrd on the team because he has been a good soldier and because he has performed at a high level. I think he should be paid according to his performance and because he is still young enough to contribute at a high level. Byrd is holding out for the best deal he can get because this is the best opportunity he is ever likely going to get. However things play out, his ethics or his speculated performance down the road should not be in question. Don't lose site of what it means to be a fan of the Bills by wallowing in your cynicism and misery. Misery that should be left where it belongs...in the past.

Thank you sir !

go bills

Looks like its one year for $6.91m then.

I wonder whether Jairus is having doubts about hiring that scumbag Parker to represent him.

Do yourself a favour Jairus and dump your agent before he ruins your life.

I wonder whether Jairus is having doubts about hiring that scumbag Parker to represent him.

Eugene Parker is a scumbag about to ruin his life and the negotiations are now looking to be over? I just don't understand your take on any of this.

The reason I won't fault him for trying to go to the top of the list is 5 years from now he will potentially be 5th on that list again. #1 right now in this moment doesn't mean much. If you think he's a top 5 player, I'm not sure there's any major problem with briefly topping the pay list. If he's trying to destroy the pay scale then I'd say its different but if its simply goldson plus 20 bucks, no major issue for me with over shooting his slot. Eventually the contract will be under his ranking if he continues to play well.

Edited by NoSaint

Did you get a chance to read that article about Parker. Parker is no scumbag. He just represents his clients honestly but firmly. I doubt Jarius is going to be dumping Parker.

Did you get a chance to read that article about Parker. Parker is no scumbag. He just represents his clients honestly but firmly. I doubt Jarius is going to be dumping Parker.

He might, if the Bills franchise him again and don't find any trade partners. Or if he sits out longer than he should have and his play on the field suffers.

He might, if the Bills franchise him again and don't find any trade partners. Or if he sits out longer than he should have and his play on the field suffers.

Byrd will sign the 1-year tender if they cannot come to a long-term contract agreement. And if he does sign the 1-year tender, they will simply negotiate that the Bills will not tag him again next year. There is precedence for this before in the NFL.

Byrd will sign the 1-year tender if they cannot come to a long-term contract agreement. And if he does sign the 1-year tender, they will simply negotiate that the Bills will not tag him again next year. There is precedence for this before in the NFL.

Yes, there is by the Bills among others. If they go that route they are making a huge mistake in my opinion. Byrd either plays or sits out. He won't sit out so why would you give him what he wishes?

Yes, there is by the Bills among others. If they go that route they are making a huge mistake in my opinion. Byrd either plays or sits out. He won't sit out so why would you give him what he wishes?

If we had a top 5 defense, then you'd consider locking him down for the long-term on a big contract. We don't and no one deserves top of the league money on our defense.

If we had a top 5 defense, then you'd consider locking him down for the long-term on a big contract. We don't and no one deserves top of the league money on our defense.

Then how do you become a top 5 defense? No logic in your statement.We don't want to sign good players to become a top 5 defense until you become a top 5 defense?

If you tell him you're going to franchise, maybe transition tag, him next year, you put pressure on him to sign now because he realizes he won't get a long-term deal for another three years. If you tell him that you won't tag him again, then you give him the power. And the Bills aren't close enough to contending that they need his services for the year to put them over the top.