Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

The agent here is Eugene Parker. I would suggest he has a lot of influence and control on contract negotiations. I wouldn't be surprised if Jairus is totally compliant with how Parker is playing this out on the basis Parker has represented plenty of elite players.

Ultimately jairus picked Parker knowing what he'd get as an agent.... But I think you seemingly having only knowledge of the peters situation is making your commentary limited in its insight. You haven't acknowledged dozens of other Parker clients or franchise tags around the league and keep going straight to peters.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimately jairus picked Parker knowing what he'd get as an agent.... But I think you seemingly having only knowledge of the peters situation is making your commentary limited in its insight. You haven't acknowledged dozens of other Parker clients or franchise tags around the league and keep going straight to peters.

So should we overlook the Peters case? How about Parker representing Michael Crabtree? I'm sure you have guessed by now that my bottom line is I don't like Parker or how he does his business. Looks like you don't like or share my views NoSaint. But hopefully come September we will both be supporting the same team.

So should we overlook the Peters case? How about Parker representing Michael Crabtree? I'm sure you have guessed by now that my bottom line is I don't like Parker or how he does his business. Looks like you don't like or share my views NoSaint. But hopefully come September we will both be supporting the same team.

Understood but what about the dozens of other clients and contract negotiations?

Understood but what about the dozens of other clients and contract negotiations?

NoSaint. There are plenty of articles on the Internet that give bad press to Mr Parker. My view is shared by many others. He seems to be holding a gun to the head of the Bills Front Office and you want to pay the man. I am surprised and a little disappointed. You let someone take advantage of you once and they will come knocking again and again. Looks like we will have to agree to differ here.

NoSaint. There are plenty of articles on the Internet that give bad press to Mr Parker. My view is shared by many others. He seems to be holding a gun to the head of the Bills Front Office and you want to pay the man. I am surprised and a little disappointed. You let someone take advantage of you once and they will come knocking again and again. Looks like we will have to agree to differ here.

Any agent is forced to play hardball sometimes. It doesn't mean that they can or will every time. It also doesn't mean they are being unfair or unreasonable. In the graham article we got the tidbit that he thought Byrd was getting paid just 15-20% of his market worth. If you use last years salary, 1.1m, and 15% that would put the asking price at 7.3m per year.

One thing I'm confident about with Parker is once its done, it'll be done. No revis nonsense where the moment pay drops for a year he holds out ignoring he was paid higher than the annual average the year before and huge signing bonus. It will be a fair, and honored contract - but don't expect a hometown discount to get it done. No shame there.

Polian: If the agent is realistic and understands the player’s place in the game, then you have a platform to start negotiations. That’s Eugene to a T.”

Andrew Brandt: He never sacrifices his integrity. I’ll admit to being frustrated with his positions, but I never felt like he was delusional or unfair in his dealings. In some ways, that makes him more professional than other agents. With other agents, you can get upset with their positions based on the way they acted about it. With him, you could not

Parcells: “He’s a good man, a very good man. The agents that I think have their clients’ interests as a priority, I generally get along with well. But those that are just feathering their own nest, I don’t care much for. I don’t like the crooks, the guys that are taking advantage. I think it’s sad, and I’ve seen a lot of it. I have a high regard for Eugene.”

Edited by NoSaint

Any agent is forced to play hardball sometimes. It doesn't mean that they can or will every time. It also doesn't mean they are being unfair or unreasonable. In the graham article we got the tidbit that he thought Byrd was getting paid just 15-20% of his market worth. If you use last years salary, 1.1m, and 15% that would put the asking price at 7.3m per year.

One thing I'm confident about with Parker is once its done, it'll be done. No revis nonsense where the moment pay drops for a year he holds out ignoring he was paid higher than the annual average the year before and huge signing bonus. It will be a fair, and honored contract - but don't expect a hometown discount to get it done. No shame there.

Polian: If the agent is realistic and understands the player's place in the game, then you have a platform to start negotiations. That's Eugene to a T."

Andrew Brandt: He never sacrifices his integrity. I'll admit to being frustrated with his positions, but I never felt like he was delusional or unfair in his dealings. In some ways, that makes him more professional than other agents. With other agents, you can get upset with their positions based on the way they acted about it. With him, you could not

Parcells: "He's a good man, a very good man. The agents that I think have their clients' interests as a priority, I generally get along with well. But those that are just feathering their own nest, I don't care much for. I don't like the crooks, the guys that are taking advantage. I think it's sad, and I've seen a lot of it. I have a high regard for Eugene."

Here is what I think about bargaining people like Parker. He does not respect the game , for him it is about money and no other item appears on his list I believe the only way for the Bills or any other team to deal with Parker is to be the same. What Parker does is wait until the team shows it's priority to football and then he gets what he wants. Either a contract or a trade. In either case he gets the money. As a great negotiator Herb Cohen says...it is not about the money it is about the MONEY. If the Bills make a respectful offer they must then be prepared to allow Byrd to sit out. It must be about the money for the Bills as well. It appears to me the even if Byrd comes to camp, he will not play well, he will be disruptive. He must understand it is his career, not Parker's money game. No game, no money.

Here is what I think about bargaining people like Parker. He does not respect the game , for him it is about money and no other item appears on his list I believe the only way for the Bills or any other team to deal with Parker is to be the same. What Parker does is wait until the team shows it's priority to football and then he gets what he wants. Either a contract or a trade. In either case he gets the money. As a great negotiator Herb Cohen says...it is not about the money it is about the MONEY. If the Bills make a respectful offer they must then be prepared to allow Byrd to sit out. It must be about the money for the Bills as well. It appears to me the even if Byrd comes to camp, he will not play well, he will be disruptive. He must understand it is his career, not Parker's money game. No game, no money.

Why do you think that? and it is always about the money.

this is not going to end well.

I see BOTH sides playing hardball.

the bills prefer to have Byrd playing under the one year franchise tag WITHOUT a long term Top 5 money deal. they will tag him again next year. I believe they prefer this route even over a reasonable Top 10 long term deal.

the player prefers to sign a long term deal for Top 5 money. absent that Byrd will hold out and not play until the 10th week of the season where he will then report to work so he gets credited with a "vested" season.

the bills prefer to have Byrd playing under the one year franchise tag WITHOUT a long term Top 5 money deal. they will tag him again next year. I believe they prefer this route even over a reasonable Top 10 long term deal.

the player prefers to sign a long term deal for Top 5 money. absent that Byrd will hold out and not play until the 10th week of the season where he will then report to work so he gets credited with a "vested" season.

If he wants to be tagged again next season, then yes, he'll hold out until week 10. If he wants to be a FA, he'll sign a one-year deal precluding the use if the tag again next year.

Edited by thebandit27

He may sit out til week ten, but it would be different than Parker has advised past clients. In fact he's had guys skip camp and show up to play under the tag. I don't think Byrd is a guy like peters that shows up fat, and only half knowing the playbook.

His franchise deal makes him the 4th highest paid safety in the league this year behind Palomalu, Berry, and Rolle. While any player would want the security of a long term deal with lots of guaranteed money and a fat signing bonus up front, Byrd can't complain that he isn't getting paid as one of the best.

GO BILLS!!!

He may sit out til week ten, but it would be different than Parker has advised past clients. In fact he's had guys skip camp and show up to play under the tag. I don't think Byrd is a guy like peters that shows up fat, and only half knowing the playbook.

Dumbest thing he can do is sit out any portion of the year. Can't imaging Parker advising him to forego any paychecks. I hope you're right about his football character. He just doesn't strike me as Peters-like in that regard.

GO BILLS!!!

Except he doesn't have the playbook.

I really have no idea how this will play out. One would have to presume Whaley (with input from Pettine) is trying to determine if the sort of $$ it will take to lock Byrd up will hamstring the Bills in other areas in years to come.

Except he doesn't have the playbook.

I really have no idea how this will play out. One would have to presume Whaley (with input from Pettine) is trying to determine if the sort of $$ it will take to lock Byrd up will hamstring the Bills in other areas in years to come.

Are there any links saying that? We've had the battle and its boiled down to "it'd be crazy not to give it to him" vs "but he's not signed, you can't give it to him what if he steals it"

Are there any links saying that? We've had the battle and its boiled down to "it'd be crazy not to give it to him" vs "but he's not signed, you can't give it to him what if he steals it"

I don't have a link, but he's not under contract and I believe it would be borderline negligent of the Bills to give a non-employee the playbook.

I don't have a link, but he's not under contract and I believe it would be borderline negligent of the Bills to give a non-employee the playbook.

ill write up a situation and you can tell me what it would be bordering on

a team gives out playbooks to about a 100 or so players any given season, half of which you expect to cut. they have one REALLY good player. the type youd expect to be the centerpiece of a defense, be paid accordingly, AND they hold the rights to him.... but theres some financial details to be worked out for the long term. instead of giving him the playbook in the mean time, since hes expected to be on the team more so than a number of other guys that are currently in posession of one.... i am going to tell him not until he puts pen to paper, which may be a week before our first game.

you know, not to mention that by the end of september all of the basics will be on film anyway.

Edited by NoSaint

a team gives out playbooks to about a 100 or so players any given season, half of which you expect to cut. they have one REALLY good player. the type youd expect to be the centerpiece of a defense, be paid accordingly, AND they hold the rights to him.... but theres some financial details to be worked out for the long term. instead of giving him the playbook in the mean time, since hes expected to be on the team more so than a number of other guys that are currently in posession of one.... i am going to tell him not until he puts pen to paper, which may be a week before our first game.

you know, not to mention that by the end of september all of the basics will be on film anyway.

Agreed.

Also--When (as a franchised player) is Byrd required to start attending?

Agreed.

Also--When (as a franchised player) is Byrd required to start attending?

once he signs the tag. if he signs it and holds out he can be fined. until he signs it the following are really the only deadlines besides July 15 for a long term deal.

week 10 to count the season

week 1 to get full pay for it

Why would they give a playbook to a guy who hasn't shown up and who may get traded? If anything,

It's a ploy to get them into camp, at least. Not having the playbook will put him behind everyone else and make him have a slow start to the season, at least. In what is a(nother) contract year, that could be costly. Then there is the issue of what happens if you trade him?

At least this year, the playbooks are on iPads and can be remotely locked/erased by the Bills at a moment's notice, so the fact current Bills employees who may not remain Bills employees have one is of no consequence. I still believe it is borderline negligence to give a non-employee a playbook.