Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

My big question (I may have asked this before, but can't remember the answers. So please humor me)

Why? If we fail to sign Byrd by July XX, why can't we renegotiate with him going forward? And at what point can we begin talks again? Doesn't make sense to me that there's a cutoff date and we wouldn't be able to renegotiate throughout the season.

Please forgive the fact that I have forgotten if this was answered before.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd will sign the 1-year tender if they cannot come to a long-term contract agreement. And if he does sign the 1-year tender, they will simply negotiate that the Bills will not tag him again next year. There is precedence for this before in the NFL.

theres precedence, but its certainly not common... because its a terrible negotiating tactic.

My big question (I may have asked this before, but can't remember the answers. So please humor me)

Why? If we fail to sign Byrd by July XX, why can't we renegotiate with him going forward? And at what point can we begin talks again? Doesn't make sense to me that there's a cutoff date and we wouldn't be able to renegotiate throughout the season.

CBA rule that if he doesnt sign by July XX he cant sign a long term deal.

Reason would be purely speculation, but ive speculated that its simply to put the negotiations in the rearview window before the season and reduce holdouts and drama leading into the games starting. holding out couldnt get him the extension, so unless the situation is a real trainwreck he will atleast suit up for week 1. Deadlines give both sides motivation to get it done in a timely manner.

theres precedence, but its certainly not common... because its a terrible negotiating tactic.

CBA rule that if he doesnt sign by July XX he cant sign a long term deal.

Reason would be purely speculation, but ive speculated that its simply to put the negotiations in the rearview window before the season and reduce holdouts and drama leading into the games starting. holding out couldnt get him the extension, so unless the situation is a real trainwreck he will atleast suit up for week 1. Deadlines give both sides motivation to get it done in a timely manner.

that all makes sense, but when is the date they can start negotiating again? During the season? I see no reason that if Byrd doesn't sign the tag, they can't work out some long term deal.

that all makes sense, but when is the date they can start negotiating again? During the season? I see no reason that if Byrd doesn't sign the tag, they can't work out some long term deal.

They can start working on a new contract at any time, but it can't be signed until after the season is over.

They can start working on a new contract at any time, but it can't be signed until after the season is over.

correct. its not as if whaley and byrd arent allowed in the same room and he has to start declining calls from parker. but until games are finished theres no putting pen to paper.

Did you get a chance to read that article about Parker. Parker is no scumbag. He just represents his clients honestly but firmly. I doubt Jarius is going to be dumping Parker.

That was a puff piece by Tim Graham designed to calm the waters.

Parker's job is to shop his client's wares around the league. He did that with Jason Peters and found a lot of interest for him in Philly - and this was during his initial hold out. Of course it's against League rules, but it happened. It happened when Andy Reid spoke openly about him in the Philly media. Parker knew he could get a deal done with Philly. He just had to get Peters out of Buffalo first.

So no, I don't think he's a scum bag. But he's close to being a dirt bag IMHO.

And would you be surprised if Parker finds an eventual home for Byrd in (whodda thunk it?) Philly?

That org already has shown itself to be underhanded and lookie who their new HC is... The Cheater from Oregon - where Byrd went to school and graduated from.

Parker can sit tight. The pieces to the puzzle are already in place and lined up to take his client down a path he's already plowed.

Nanker, great call on the Cheatin' Eagles as Parker's possible nest for Byrd!! :thumbsup: PHI has Rogers-Cromartie at CB but lost Asomugha to the 49ers. And PHI's best safety, 4-year man Nate Allen, is tied for #201 in passes defensed. They drafted Earl Wolff NC State in RD5 this year.

Nanker, great call on the Cheatin' Eagles as Parker's possible nest for Byrd!! :thumbsup: PHI has Rogers-Cromartie at CB but lost Asomugha to the 49ers. And PHI's best safety, 4-year man Nate Allen, is tied for #201 in passes defensed. They drafted Earl Wolff NC State in RD5 this year.

Yes. They can use help in their secondary, and they're not above (beneath) bending the rules to make their interest in a player known - even if the League forbids that from happening.

I hope it doesn't get to that, but I can see it coming.

although I still hope they resign Byrd, I still think he will be traded. This makes sense.

correct. its not as if whaley and byrd arent allowed in the same room and he has to start declining calls from parker. but until games are finished theres no putting pen to paper.

Correct, although some folks in this thread don't seem to understand that (and one even took it upon himself to send me a PM ranting about how idiotic I am after explaining it).

thats dumb

it would be more dumb to pretend they werent going to talk and try to put a rule in place against that.

Correct, although some folks in this thread don't seem to understand that (and one even took it upon himself to send me a PM ranting about how idiotic I am after explaining it).

some are interested in the nuances of the rules and having a productive discussion (even some i disagree with are firmly in this category with respectable opinions) while others are real angry mad and dont seem to care about fact. such is life on the internet.

Ugh. This is searching for conspiracies alright. Byrd played for Belotti, not Kelly. To me these are just tough negotiations. Let 'em play out.

That was a puff piece by Tim Graham designed to calm the waters.

Parker's job is to shop his client's wares around the league. He did that with Jason Peters and found a lot of interest for him in Philly - and this was during his initial hold out. Of course it's against League rules, but it happened. It happened when Andy Reid spoke openly about him in the Philly media. Parker knew he could get a deal done with Philly. He just had to get Peters out of Buffalo first.

So no, I don't think he's a scum bag. But he's close to being a dirt bag IMHO.

And would you be surprised if Parker finds an eventual home for Byrd in (whodda thunk it?) Philly?

That org already has shown itself to be underhanded and lookie who their new HC is... The Cheater from Oregon - where Byrd went to school and graduated from.

Parker can sit tight. The pieces to the puzzle are already in place and lined up to take his client down a path he's already plowed.

it would be more dumb to pretend they werent going to talk and try to put a rule in place against that.

some are interested in the nuances of the rules and having a productive discussion (even some i disagree with are firmly in this category with respectable opinions) while others are real angry mad and dont seem to care about fact. such is life on the internet.

Indeed...doesn't really bother me, just surprises me sometimes.

EDIT: PS I still feel bad for derailing your Greer thread by getting baited into that pointless give-and-take

Edited by thebandit27

If the Eagles want to trade a 1st for Byrd and give him $9M/year (which would mean they'd have 2 former Bills accounting for 13% of their cap), more power to them and I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd even consider a 2nd rounder. But unless a team offers a high draft pick, he's going nowhere for the next 2 years.

If the Eagles want to trade a 1st for Byrd and give him $9M/year (which would mean they'd have 2 former Bills accounting for 13% of their cap), more power to them and I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd even consider a 2nd rounder. But unless a team offers a high draft pick, he's going nowhere for the next 2 years.

I would find it astonishing if a team that just signed Kenny Phillips and Patrick Chung in free agency decided to trade a 1st for Byrd and give him that much money.

NOTE: I'm not saying you thought it would happen, just commenting on the situation...I really don't see any team doing that.

I would find it astonishing if a team that just signed Kenny Phillips and Patrick Chung in free agency decided to trade a 1st for Byrd and give him that much money.

NOTE: I'm not saying you thought it would happen, just commenting on the situation...I really don't see any team doing that.

I don't either. Just saying that if they want to trade a high pick, I'd do the deal.