Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Chris Brown reads the wall! :lol:

I post the following this morning;

and he posts this: http://blogs.buffalo...e-a-free-agent/ a few hours later.

Or maaaaaybe I just have a nose for news, or maaaaybe I've got a serious gauge on the pulse of the fanbase, or maaaaaaaaaaybe I'm the frightened lemur.

Mwuahahahaha! :devil:

In any case, I think it can be construed as damage control. The article/interview highlights the idea of Byrd simply not wanting to be here, and that it's not the FO's fault if they can't get Parker to negotiate.

Or put another way: Parker "leaks" that the Bills aren't willing to negotiate, to make the fans think "Ralph/Russ/Overdorf is cheap."

Meanwhile the Bills "leak" that Byrd doesn't even want to be here, so why should they pay him a buttload of $.

Each side is trying to paint the other as the bad guy.

Can you find a better link other than a paid Bills Shill? "each side is trying to paint the other as a bad guy". Sorry, I don't see that at all anywhere.

Byrd clearly stated at the end of 2012. I want to play for a winner, or words to that effect. I am convinced it's not all about the paycheck with him. he is going on his 3rd HC and I lost count of his DC's? he wants to win. Players don't drink kool-aid like a fanbase who is going on 14 years of pure suck arse football. Maybe marrone will make this a super bowl team (in time). But Byrd IMO has every reason to ask for what he's asking. He has played his entire NFL career on historically bad defenses.

To say the team is getting value for the Mario contract is laughable yet people argue over a couple mil a year on Byrd? What player with pride wouldn't want to bolt? sadly, when he does leave he will be treated by the homers as a defector, POS, etc.

The question really at this point should be. How good is Whaley at getting adequate compensation for a guy who doesn't want to be here. I want to see this new messiah prove he has what it takes to get a doormat out of the AFCE cellar. Do a sign and trade and move on. Do it now.

The homer Parker hate here is pathetic. Ask the Tuna his opinion on parker. You want to point fingers how about Littman and Overdorf the guys that actually sit at the table on most negotiations

on everything Bills and have left countless players of good talent walk over money, sometimes very little money. The Bills mantra since 1960 always has been the $$$$$ first. If they get lucky (Polian) well then that's a bonus for the fans.

... The question really at this point should be. How good is Whaley at getting adequate compensation for a guy who doesn't want to be here. I want to see this new messiah prove he has what it takes to get a doormat out of the AFCE cellar. Do a sign and trade and move on. Do it now. ...

What is that, exactly, "for a guy that doesn't want to be here?"

I have a hunch that no matter what it is, you won't be happy with it.

GO BILLS!!!

Any player with an ounce of intelligence and awareness of public perception is going to say he's "all about winning" -- that's what the fans and media want to hear.

Talk to any former player, however, or listen to the guys who are now commentators, and they will speak the truth -- it's a business and they go where the money is the best. It's only if the money is "close" that they're picking which team they "like" more, or if they're vets near the end of their careers and want to go to a true SB contender for that last shot at a ring.

Can you find a better link other than a paid Bills Shill? "each side is trying to paint the other as a bad guy". Sorry, I don't see that at all anywhere.

Byrd clearly stated at the end of 2012. I want to play for a winner, or words to that effect. I am convinced it's not all about the paycheck with him. he is going on his 3rd HC and I lost count of his DC's? he wants to win. Players don't drink kool-aid like a fanbase who is going on 14 years of pure suck arse football. Maybe marrone will make this a super bowl team (in time). But Byrd IMO has every reason to ask for what he's asking. He has played his entire NFL career on historically bad defenses.

To say the team is getting value for the Mario contract is laughable yet people argue over a couple mil a year on Byrd? What player with pride wouldn't want to bolt? sadly, when he does leave he will be treated by the homers as a defector, POS, etc.

The question really at this point should be. How good is Whaley at getting adequate compensation for a guy who doesn't want to be here. I want to see this new messiah prove he has what it takes to get a doormat out of the AFCE cellar. Do a sign and trade and move on. Do it now.

The homer Parker hate here is pathetic. Ask the Tuna his opinion on parker. You want to point fingers how about Littman and Overdorf the guys that actually sit at the table on most negotiations

on everything Bills and have left countless players of good talent walk over money, sometimes very little money. The Bills mantra since 1960 always has been the $$$$$ first. If they get lucky (Polian) well then that's a bonus for the fans.

There is nothing personal going on between Byrd and his agent with the Bills. This is a very important contract year for Byrd. He is in his prime and his leverage is as high as it is going to get. The Bills are not looking at this contract as a singe transaction. They are aware that this contract can have major repercussions for upcoming contracts.

It is apparent what the Bills prefer doing. If the organization can't get him to agree to a multi-year deal that is closer to their terms they would want him to sign a one year tender and then let him walk. They drafted two safeties in this draft and they are moving Williams from CB to safety. So they are protecting themselves for the future at his position.

My preference is to keep him. If the franchise has to "somewhat" extend themselves in signing him then so be it. He is an instinctive playmaker on a team that lacks playmakers. Byrd has been an impact player on a defense that was very vanilla. Playing in a more aggressive and attacking defense should make him even more effective.

You make a good point that playing for a perennial loser can be demoralizing and dispiriting. Without a doubt always watching other teams in the playoffs can be frustrating. But the heart of the matter with Byrd and the organization is economics. There are no bad guys here. It's simply a tough business where cold blooded $$$$ decisions often get made by the competing parties.

What is that, exactly, "for a guy that doesn't want to be here?"

I have a hunch that no matter what it is, you won't be happy with it.

GO BILLS!!!

J. Byrd is a good safety in this era of football. Make no mistake he is not in Ronnie Lott's class by any stretch(just 1 example). Not even close. That said his forte is a ball hawk. Nothing wrong with that.

As for compensation? A first would suffice but it's doubtful any team would offer that he's just not that type of player that can put a contender over the top. Again, he's really good. So, I leave that up the GM's that orchestrate these things and do it for a living. I'm not one of them. The Bills until proven otherwise are still a bottom feeder and have proven nothing. To even have discussions that they could be pushing the cap when say Spiller becomes due and others again shows the insanity of Nix's kidnapping and open checkbook on the Mario deal. So let Byrd walk and save it for a rainy day. Perfect example of Bills thinking. The definition of very poor FO decisions that have taken place for way too long. BTW doesn't Mario get the rest of his guaranteed money this year? I believe that sum is 24,000,000.00 Great job Nix!

J. Byrd is a good safety in this era of football. Make no mistake he is not in Ronnie Lott's class by any stretch(just 1 example). Not even close. That said his forte is a ball hawk. Nothing wrong with that.

As for compensation? A first would suffice but it's doubtful any team would offer that he's just not that type of player that can put a contender over the top. Again, he's really good. So, I leave that up the GM's that orchestrate these things and do it for a living. I'm not one of them. The Bills until proven otherwise are still a bottom feeder and have proven nothing. To even have discussions that they could be pushing the cap when say Spiller becomes due and others again shows the insanity of Nix's kidnapping and open checkbook on the Mario deal. So let Byrd walk and save it for a rainy day. Perfect example of Bills thinking. The definition of very poor FO decisions that have taken place for way too long. BTW doesn't Mario get the rest of his guaranteed money this year? I believe that sum is 24,000,000.00 Great job Nix!

3/15/2012: Mario Williams signed a six-year, $96 million contract.

The deal contains $50 million guaranteed, including a $19 million signing bonus and all of Williams' 2012 and 2013 base salaries.

Another $4 million is available through incentives.

Williams is eligible for an annual $500,000 workout bonus in years two through six.

2013: $6.5 million (+ $8 million option bonus)

2014: $1.9 million (+ $10.6 million roster bonus)

2015: $12.1 million (+ $1 million roster bonus)

2016: $11.5 million (+ $2.5 million roster bonus)

2017: $11.4 million (+ $3.5 million roster bonus)

2018: Free Agent

I really don't care if Byrd becomes the highest paid in history. I've appreciated your arguments relative to the escalating nature of salaries in the NFL. Makes perfect sense. But like I said, I don't confuse pay scale with greatness. Byrd will never be among the greatest free safeties of all time in my eyes, no matter how much he's paid. I just don't see the play to play impact on the game that I've seen from the greats in the past. He just doesn't possess the sheer athleticism to do that.

GO BILLS!!!

I completely agree, and so do the Bills particularly Doug Whaley. And that is why Byrd will not be playing for the Bills any longer. We did not win much with him. He is a good player, but the Bills will not break the bank on him, nor should they. He is emminently replacable. I think we will all get to like Duke Williams and Jonathan Meeks. I am excited to see what Whaley can get for Byrd in a trade.

The homer Parker hate here is pathetic. Ask the Tuna his opinion on parker. You want to point fingers how about Littman and Overdorf the guys that actually sit at the table on most negotiations on everything Bills and have left countless players of good talent walk over money, sometimes very little money. The Bills mantra since 1960 always has been the $$$$$ first. If they get lucky (Polian) well then that's a bonus for the fans.

Who would the Bills extend if they don't sign Byrd long term? I haven't heard about negotiations with Eric Wood, who now enters the final year of his deal. Spiller, according to Rotoworld, is signed through 2015. The question I have is if the Bills save money by not signing Byrd and going with unproven options at free safety, who will they use it on? And how does that help the team win now?

That good enough eball?

Who would the Bills extend if they don't sign Byrd long term? I haven't heard about negotiations with Eric Wood, who now enters the final year of his deal. Spiller, according to Rotoworld, is signed through 2015. The question I have is if the Bills save money by not signing Byrd and going with unproven options at free safety, who will they use it on? And how does that help the team win now?

That good enough eball?

Not really; you still aren't telling us what you think they should do. Do you believe the Bills should sign Byrd for between 8-9M per year or not? It sounds like you're saying "if they don't, who will they spend it on?" but that's not really an answer. You have a lot of strong opinions about what the Bills have done wrong, so what do you want to see? Lay out your plan.

There is nothing personal going on between Byrd and his agent with the Bills. This is a very important contract year for Byrd. He is in his prime and his leverage is as high as it is going to get. The Bills are not looking at this contract as a singe transaction. They are aware that this contract can have major repercussions for upcoming contracts.

It is apparent what the Bills prefer doing. If the organization can't get him to agree to a multi-year deal that is closer to their terms they would want him to sign a one year tender and then let him walk. They drafted two safeties in this draft and they are moving Williams from CB to safety. So they are protecting themselves for the future at his position.

My preference is to keep him. If the franchise has to "somewhat" extend themselves in signing him then so be it. He is an instinctive playmaker on a team that lacks playmakers. Byrd has been an impact player on a defense that was very vanilla. Playing in a more aggressive and attacking defense should make him even more effective.

You make a good point that playing for a perennial loser can be demoralizing and dispiriting. Without a doubt always watching other teams in the playoffs can be frustrating. But the heart of the matter with Byrd and the organization is economics. There are no bad guys here. It's simply a tough business where cold blooded $$$$ decisions often get made by the competing parties.

Thanks, John, for putting yourself on the record. I don't agree but I respect the logic behind your thinking. I also don't think there are any "bad guys" here.

I completely agree, and so do the Bills particularly Doug Whaley. And that is why Byrd will not be playing for the Bills any longer. We did not win much with him. He is a good player, but the Bills will not break the bank on him, nor should they. He is emminently replacable. I think we will all get to like Duke Williams and Jonathan Meeks. I am excited to see what Whaley can get for Byrd in a trade.

I don't see any team offering a 2nd rounder or better for Byrd. So I think he plays under the tag this year for the Bills, at least.

So who makes the first phone call on 15th July.

Parker to Byrd ? (Hold out son, our tactics are working).

Byrd to Parker ? (I want to play football in 2013 and I want to sign) or (get me a trade).

Whaley to Parker ? (OK we give in, how much do you want).

Parker to Whaley ? (Sorry for messing you around Doug, we will sign today).

So who makes the first phone call on 15th July.

Parker to Byrd ? (Hold out son, our tactics are working).

Byrd to Parker ? (I want to play football in 2013 and I want to sign) or (get me a trade).

Whaley to Parker ? (OK we give in, how much do you want).

Parker to Whaley ? (Sorry for messing you around Doug, we will sign today).

well, come july 15 i dont think you see a trade set up (team would only be able to have him on a one year deal unless they get the trade and contract worked out that day). i also dont think the options are sign or sit out.

currently id put the split like 70-29-1 with the 70 being that he reports after camp but before the season and plays under the tag, 29 that they work out a deal last minute, and 1 accounting for possibilities that hes not a game 1 starter for the bills (ie trade or holdout)

I think I did a good job "reading between the lines" as to how each side is posturing. If you aren't seeing it, you might be a little naive. JMO.

The fact that the link is from a paid Bills shill is exactly the point. The Bills themselves are highlighting (relevant or not) that Byrd said things that can be construed as him not wanting to be a Bill, or that the Bills would have to overpay for his services. He said them in December, but Chris Brown is reminding us NOW in retaliation to Parker's camp "leaking" that talks are at a standstill or nonexistent.

Like I said in the earlier posts, that signals to me that Parker is attempting to stir up the fan base and get the "just pay the man" mafia to pressure the FO.

Ultimately it boils down to what's best for the team, but part of that is PR and perception. Bills want to appear committed to winning, but don't want to be seen as pushovers when it comes to handing out big contracts. What kind of message does it send that they spend on Mario but not on Byrd? It's subject to interpretation, of course, but as someone mentioned before, this is essentially a new regime and they need to build their reputation. Yes Overdorf is still here, but Brandon is now his boss.

I don't hate Parker at all. I also wasn't making any type of value judgment on these tactics, just pointing out the subtleties that may seem lost on some.

I also don't see either side as "the bad guy." I'm not and you're not privy to the status of the negotiations and the demands and offers out there. So how could one say with any conviction which side needs to budge?

It's interesting that Whaley does come from a culture that has had no problem saying good-bye to good players in the past. There haven't been too many free safeties that weren't easily replaced. The Bills added three new safeties to the mix since last season ended. I think what you say makes a ton of sense on many levels.

GO BILLS!!!

My understanding of Parker's position is that Byrd was "under paid" during his rookie contract and he wants enough money now to compensate Byrd for being "under paid" for those years too in addition to getting top dog dollars for his next years.

This whole "15-20% thing" has been chatted about a bit with varying opinions on what it means. I'll try to dig up the exact quote so we're interpreting what was said.

As much as Parker would be a bit of a looney for interpreting the rookie contract they way you describe above, that's exactly my impression of the quote at the time I read it.

I hope NoSaints' interpretation of the quote (roughly that Byrd was only making 15-20% of what he should be making on a new contract) is more accurate.

Sounds like Murph is getting us ready for Byrd not to be a Bill.

As UncleFlap and yourself adroitly point out, Murph and Brown are employees of the Bills. This means that some of what they say is in accordance with the agenda of the Bills management.

However it also means that little of what they say can be taken at pure face value.

My very uninformed opinion is that Byrd will sign the tender towards the end of training camp on the condition the Bills agree not to franchise him next year.

+1. This is the most likely scenario.

well, come july 15 i dont think you see a trade set up (team would only be able to have him on a one year deal unless they get the trade and contract worked out that day). i also dont think the options are sign or sit out.

currently id put the split like 70-29-1 with the 70 being that he reports after camp but before the season and plays under the tag, 29 that they work out a deal last minute, and 1 accounting for possibilities that hes not a game 1 starter for the bills (ie trade or holdout)

Similar to what Mike Wallace did last year with the Steelers.

My very uninformed opinion is that Byrd will sign the tender towards the end of training camp on the condition the Bills agree not to franchise him next year.

Can you please elaborate on why you think the Bills would ever agree to that?

They would essentially be agreeing to give up the bank for him next season or lose him for nothing. Plus Byrd will certainly play this season under the franchise tender because if not he will lose millions of dollars that he will never be able to recover in his career. Why wouldn't he hold out until just before week one and then report?