Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

This whole "15-20% thing" has been chatted about a bit with varying opinions on what it means. I'll try to dig up the exact quote so we're interpreting what was said.

As much as Parker would be a bit of a looney for interpreting the rookie contract they way you describe above, that's exactly my impression of the quote at the time I read it.

I hope NoSaints' interpretation of the quote (roughly that Byrd was only making 15-20% of what he should be making on a new contract) is more accurate.

As UncleFlap and yourself adroitly point out, Murph and Brown are employees of the Bills. This means that some of what they say is in accordance with the agenda of the Bills management.

However it also means that little of what they say can be taken at pure face value.

I'd guess he'd want to tack a little on for inflation and going into his prime, but I don't get the impression it's a "you owe me extra", as much as simply "it's time, no more discounts"

Here's the quote:

“Under the system, the Bills were allowed to pay Jairus substantially less than a Pro Bowl player at his position makes for four years,” Parker said. “The Bills, under the CBA, have the ability to restrict his free agency by making him a one-year offer, which we can accept or not accept.

“He’s fulfilled every clause of his contract, and he’s played at 15 to 20 percent of what his market value is for a player at his position, and he did it for four years with no complaints.

“Now, it’s time. We’ve got to figure something out.”

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the quote:

"Under the system, the Bills were allowed to pay Jairus substantially less than a Pro Bowl player at his position makes for four years," Parker said. "The Bills, under the CBA, have the ability to restrict his free agency by making him a one-year offer, which we can accept or not accept.

"He's fulfilled every clause of his contract, and he's played at 15 to 20 percent of what his market value is for a player at his position, and he did it for four years with no complaints.

"Now, it's time. We've got to figure something out."

Clearly I would say your take on his comments was accurate.

Thanks for posting that. I was intending on finding it but got sidetracked.

:thumbsup:

I love all the people jumping off bridges right now. Everyone said months ago that it wouldn't be a problem. That he'd sign his tag. That we'd sign him long term. It's looking more and more like the 2 sides are very far apart and if they aren't even talking, then the Bill have out their feet down and stated how much they are willing to pay. At the same time, Byrd has dug his heels in and won't budge with the backing from his agent.

Word of opinion here, he's not interested in being a part of a contending team. He's interested in being paid the most money by a Safety in the league. Parker won't rest until he gets him that or gets him a new team. And when players get traded or sign with new teams for less money, it's usually out of spite to the team refusing to pay that much. More of like an incentive for the player. Stick it back into the face of the original team.

Well see what happens but I'm not betting even a dollar that he signs his tag.

While tagged if someone else gave him an offer Byrd's compensation to the Bills is a 1st and a 3rd. So that in the Bills eyes has to be his trade value. I keep reading different things on here about what it is, so I wanted to point that out. IMO he is going to walk at the end of this year (if there is a trade coming it will be next year after he is tagged again) but may sit during training camp and play during the season which is a stupid move IMO as well as players get injured doing that and he won't know the D well and will not look like the star he should want to look like to get his $, it is a tactic EP has used before though.

I completely agree, and so do the Bills particularly Doug Whaley. And that is why Byrd will not be playing for the Bills any longer. We did not win much with him. He is a good player, but the Bills will not break the bank on him, nor should they. He is emminently replacable. I think we will all get to like Duke Williams and Jonathan Meeks. I am excited to see what Whaley can get for Byrd in a trade.

Yup... Bye bye Byrdie. Maybe after this coming season latest, but he's gone... And safeties, unless dominant, (Troy, Reed, etc) are very replaceable. When the bills had Whitner and Bryd out there (both probowlers) the d was still abysmal.

How is he so replaceable? When have we had a playmaker like that at safety - or really anywhere!

The last 3 seasons Byrd averages THREE interceptions a year. That's approx 1 every 5 games. Byrd is good but lets not get carried away with thinking he is irreplaceable. For the Ravens even they can move on from Ed Reed. I'm thinking that whoever plays at Safety for the Bills this season will get close or even exceed a 3 INT number. I would prefer Byrd but do not want the Bills to concede one dollar more than they want to in contract negotiations with Parker.

So who is irreplaceable on the team? No one is irreplaceable. There is no Tom Brady on the Bills team.

Can you please elaborate on why you think the Bills would ever agree to that?

They would essentially be agreeing to give up the bank for him next season or lose him for nothing. Plus Byrd will certainly play this season under the franchise tender because if not he will lose millions of dollars that he will never be able to recover in his career. Why wouldn't he hold out until just before week one and then report?

Well, I already admitted my opinion was uninformed.

The more I think about it the more I agree with you, however. It would be different if they hadn't already made so many contingency plans at the position.

The last 3 seasons Byrd averages THREE interceptions a year. That's approx 1 every 5 games. Byrd is good but lets not get carried away with thinking he is irreplaceable. For the Ravens even they can move on from Ed Reed. I'm thinking that whoever plays at Safety for the Bills this season will get close or even exceed a 3 INT number. I would prefer Byrd but do not want the Bills to concede one dollar more than they want to in contract negotiations with Parker.

Hey, if you remove the best year anyone has had, they don't look as good! I wonder what happens if you remove their worst year?

So who is irreplaceable on the team? No one is irreplaceable. There is no Tom Brady on the Bills team.

There's a reasonable argument to be made that teams threw his way a lot less after his breakout year, hence the drop off in opportunities for him.

There's a reasonable argument to be made that teams threw his way a lot less after his breakout year, hence the drop off in opportunities for him.

I don't think the FS is generally lined up against a specific receiver, so I don't think this argument flies...

I love all the people jumping off bridges right now. Everyone said months ago that it wouldn't be a problem. That he'd sign his tag. That we'd sign him long term. It's looking more and more like the 2 sides are very far apart and if they aren't even talking, then the Bill have out their feet down and stated how much they are willing to pay. At the same time, Byrd has dug his heels in and won't budge with the backing from his agent.

Word of opinion here, he's not interested in being a part of a contending team. He's interested in being paid the most money by a Safety in the league. Parker won't rest until he gets him that or gets him a new team. And when players get traded or sign 8miwith new teams for less money, it's usually out of spite to the team refusing to pay that much. More of like an incentive for the player. Stick it back into the face of the original team.

Well see what happens but I'm not betting even a dollar that he signs his tag.

If the team would not pay Levitre the 8mil per year the Titans gave him, why would they suddenly be OK giving Byrd 9mil per year? Both safety and guard are possibly similar positions in terms of replaceability and importance. You can get guards, you can get safeties. There are lots of both around, tackles are more important than guards and pass rush is more important than safety play. I don't see the Bills breaking the bank for Byrd. He is leaving. Eugene Parker will see to that.

If the team would not pay Levitre the 8mil per year the Titans gave him, why would they suddenly be OK giving Byrd 9mil per year? Both safety and guard are possibly similar positions in terms of replaceability and importance. You can get guards, you can get safeties. There are lots of both around, tackles are more important than guards and pass rush is more important than safety play. I don't see the Bills breaking the bank for Byrd. He is leaving. Eugene Parker will see to that.

Holy crap then why do they keep wasting second-round picks on safeties and guards?

If Byrd leaves, it's because he wants to, not because of the agent. He could sign the franchise tender any time he wants, whether Parker wants him to or not. Parker has zero ability to "see to" anything; in the end, it's Byrd's decision. If he chooses to delegate all contract-related responsibility to Parker, then that's still his decision.

Holy crap then why do they keep wasting second-round picks on safeties and guards?

We don't. In 2009, the team picked a FS and an OG in the 2nd round. They haven't picked either position higher than the 4th round since, or for 2 years prior for that matter (unless you count Aaron Williams, who was drafted as a CB).

Hey, if you remove the best year anyone has had, they don't look as good! I wonder what happens if you remove their worst year?

I know. It's amazing how removing certain stats can help make another stat look so average.

Ever heard of the saying "What have you done for me lately" ?

2009 is ancient history. Get 9 interceptions every year and you can talk about being Elite and $9m+ pa contracts. The last 3 years seems to provide an accurate sample of what you get.

With Byrd unsigned & not reporting - who are possible trade suitors and what would we get for him?

Any other players worth trading away on our squad for better value? (picks, young players, etc.)

Whaley seems to be taking an initiative to make moves (i.e. Hughes trade, Branch signing). Crossing my fingers that our LBs can pull it together this year!

Edited by Simon

With Byrd unsigned & not reporting - who are possible trade suitors and what would we get for him?

Any other players worth trading away on our squad for better value? (picks, young players, etc.)

Whaley seems to be taking an initiative to make moves (i.e. Hughes trade, Branch signing). Crossing my fingers that our LBs can pull it together this year!

Byrd has no real leverage right now and thus no reason to be traded. Either he signs the one year tender or doesnt get paid