Getting Sunday Ticket discounted or free

Take it easy. I apologize if I offended anyone (or you) by implying that I actually received the DTV representative's "first born"....he actually threw in his middle kid.

(Another failed attempt at humor) Sorry if I sound snide....just jealous that I can't get ST on our PS3.

My attempt fell short....dangnabbit.

Your first comment was entertaining; it was the second one that got you in trouble. I view this thread as more of a "how to" than a "look what I got" -- we all want to save some $$ and help our fellow fans out. I saved roughly $750 with a 20-minute phone call; I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to know how so they can also benefit.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your first comment was entertaining; it was the second one that got you in trouble. I view this thread as more of a "how to" than a "look what I got" -- we all want to save some $$ and help our fellow fans out. I saved roughly $750 with a 20-minute phone call; I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to know how so they can also benefit.

Agreed.

I was always skeptical about the stories I've read that folks call DTV and get ST for free. Well...it finally happened to me.

I've been with DTV since 1996. My current two yr contract was almost up and I called the retention dept. and told them that I was thinking of leaving. I told them that I wanted the new Genie system and ST max for free. He didn't bat an eye AND he gave me a $35 a month credit for the next 12 months. The new system was installed by 430 on the same day!

I know some folks have had lousy DTV experiences. I'm not one of them. The new Genie system rocks and I get to watch the Bills this year for free. I'm sure the key was my being with them so long and the fact that i was nice about it and told him exactly what I wanted.

I was always skeptical about the stories I've read that folks call DTV and get ST for free. Well...it finally happened to me.

I've been with DTV since 1996. My current two yr contract was almost up and I called the retention dept. and told them that I was thinking of leaving. I told them that I wanted the new Genie system and ST max for free. He didn't bat an eye AND he gave me a $35 a month credit for the next 12 months. The new system was installed by 430 on the same day!

I know some folks have had lousy DTV experiences. I'm not one of them. The new Genie system rocks and I get to watch the Bills this year for free. I'm sure the key was my being with them so long and the fact that i was nice about it and told him exactly what I wanted.

Yes, exactly. That's how I get my discounts every year.

Take it easy. I apologize if I offended anyone (or you) by implying that I actually received the DTV representative's "first born"....he actually threw in his middle kid.

(Another failed attempt at humor) Sorry if I sound snide....just jealous that I can't get ST on our PS3.

I just missed the humor. But with your knack for providing failed attempts at humor, you should spend some time at PPP, where some people spend a lot of time providing failed attempts at making a point. It's more fun than an off-season Tim Graham column.

I just missed the humor. But with your knack for providing failed attempts at humor, you should spend some time at PPP, where some people spend a lot of time providing failed attempts at making a point. It's more fun than an off-season Tim Graham column.

I wander over to PPP once in awhile - I just don't want my feelings hurt...."I'm not the brightest knife in the drawer". :nana:

There is a saying that you learn more by listening than by talking. Every year I read the comments on this topic and then make the call. I didn't get the ST for free but I did get it at a discount. The total saving for the annual billing was $561. As some others got I got $35 off of my monthly bill, 6 months of a $10 discount on my sports package and charged $148 for the ST instead of the full price of $229. There were some who got better deals but I am more than happy.

Thank you for the helpful comments. :thumbsup:

I just called DirecTV and spent about 20 minutes on the phone. Told them I wanted to get some info on cancelling my service next month when my obligation is over and to cancel Sunday TIcket now. He said he was going to make a note in my account in case a deal for ST comes up they could call me and said I had to call next month to cancel service. I very nicely said that I wanted to schedule cancelling my service now, and he said he "just found someone in retention" I could talk to. I talked to the nice lady and she offered me ST for free and $45 off my bill for a year. I kinda balked a little (a good act since she couldn't see me) and she offered me another $50 credit and every premium channel free for 2 months. Not bad work for about 20 minutes. Just under $950 saved/credit.
Edited by BuffBill

I like reading these stories as well. But it makes me wonder if they can give away so much so easily, then how much money are they making as a company in general. For example, even giving BuffBill all that, you know they are still making good money off of him. So think about how much they are making off of the other millions of customers that don't call to get free stuff.

I love reading these stories haha. Glad to see people saving money. :)

Wonder if any DTV reps read here.. hmm.

I'm just guessing that they are really overcharging everyone on their basic bill. How can they give everyone such huge discounts? I haven't paid list price on my bill in years.

CodeMonkey...missed your post but I have same thoughts.

Edited by nucci

Question for the people getting monthly credits and getting ST free or discounted....are you guys out of contract? My contract is up in January.....when you guys are getting these things are they making ou re-up on the contract? I'm wondering how I should go about it in my situation being 5 months away from contract expiring. Thanks

Question for the people getting monthly credits and getting ST free or discounted....are you guys out of contract?

I was not under contract, but to get the Genie, I had to agree to a 2-year contract. That said, whether you're under contract will mean precisely nothing. The penalty out is $20/month for the months left on your contract. So you'd owe them $120, which they will gladly eat to keep you from leaving.

Think about it: what's better for them, collecting your $120 and letting you go, or cutting a deal and signing you up for another two years? The key is to ensure they know you won't bat an eye at paying the penalty because you'll save 5x that when you switch to (fill in the blank).

I was not under contract, but to get the Genie, I had to agree to a 2-year contract. That said, whether you're under contract will mean precisely nothing. The penalty out is $20/month for the months left on your contract. So you'd owe them $120, which they will gladly eat to keep you from leaving.

Think about it: what's better for them, collecting your $120 and letting you go, or cutting a deal and signing you up for another two years? The key is to ensure they know you won't bat an eye at paying the penalty because you'll save 5x that when you switch to (fill in the blank).

This is exactly right. I told the rep, correctly, that termination fees are not an issue because most cable companies are so desperate to get you they'll cover any penalties you get from switching.

That said, my contract was due to be up next June and my deal only required me to extend that date by a month. Not sure how that was calculated but I wasn't arguing. It will also put me in great position for next year's call.

I called to get the Genie upgrade after being a customer for many years and they said no. I called and cancelled my service within a week. Now they call me and email to give me the Genie and ST for free. Dumbasses should have just gave it to me when I asked for it.

I'm just guessing that they are really overcharging everyone on their basic bill. How can they give everyone such huge discounts? I haven't paid list price on my bill in years.

CodeMonkey...missed your post but I have same thoughts.

DTV pays a ton for each new subscriber acquisition, something in the neighborhood of $800. Also, they tend to have higher income and better paying customers than DISH, and do not want to lose those steading paying customers to cable on all in deals that include cable, voice and Internet .

If you have a good credit history with them ( I have been with them since 95) and have more than the basic package....you fuel their stock growth and they desperately do not want to lose you and your ability to keep buying other premium offers as well as eat the price increase every year.

That being said , I have had the genie I guess for a year( n/c monthly or install)not sure what a mini genie is. I do not believe I have paid for ST Foe several years, but I pay for Center Ice and loads of other crap. My monthly about $120 now...staggering number when you think about it....$120 a month to watch TV!

So after calling the other night, being a hold for 45 minutes, best offer I got was $180 for ST max, so canceled the other night. So called back today, got offered $148 for ST Max, plus asked for a mini Genie which I wanted.

To the above post the Mini Genie is used if you have a second outlet/TV it gives full DVR function and the ability to pause or rewind live TV whereas currently I had a HD receiver on the 2nd TV so couldn't rewind etc and there's also some limitations in the recording process like deleting or recording a series. The mini should be better I hope!

I did have to agree to a new two year commitment which extended my contact by around 15 months longer than I originally had so for doing that they also gave me a $20 credit for 12 months and a $15 credit for 15 months. She then offered instead of sending me the mini Genie she'd send me another HD DVR which is better as the mini uses one of the five tuners in the Genie, so now instead will have a total of seven tuners in the house and an extra 20 hours of recording space or so. I'm guessing the mini's are in high demand so she'd prefer sending me the DVR. I often was using four of the Genie tuners at once, so this will assure I never run out of tuners.

Probably could have maybe got something better, but I'm happy with this. At least until next summer when I have to do this all over again! I do think dealing with these guys can sometimes be more aggravating than buying a car! I hate this game of playing "Lets make a deal"!!

PS Does anyone know what the recording capacity of the HD DVR is, assuming all HD recordings??

I just used my lunch break to call. Here's my story;

Mildly, firmly, yet politely complained about the auto renewal note and how I've been a loyal customer for 14 yrs. Stated my love for Sunday Tix, but my disdain for the ever-increasing fees and rising package costs. She put me on hold for 2 minutes (while she filed her fingernails..) and then gave me two options but only one included ST for free... so I took the Sunday Tix for free with a one year renewal/commitment on my account. She also threw in two genies, or a genie and mini-genie. However, I declined when she said there were additional recording fees associated with it.

I'm happy, and I will see every game my beloved Bills play this year. GO BILLS!!!

How much are those additional fees did they say? I really wanted to get the Genie when I call for my annual.

How much are those additional fees did they say? I really wanted to get the Genie when I call for my annual.

The only "recording fees" I'm aware of are the whole home DVR service which runs $3/month if I recall.

Question for the people getting monthly credits and getting ST free or discounted....are you guys out of contract? My contract is up in January.....when you guys are getting these things are they making ou re-up on the contract? I'm wondering how I should go about it in my situation being 5 months away from contract expiring. Thanks

I had to reup for 2 years because of the genie. Don't plan to cancel in that time so it doesn't matter

The genie is 1TB, but whats the plain Jane HD DVR hard drive size?

Used to be 250GB -- I don't know if they've upped it recently or not. I popped the case and plugged in a 1TB drive into mine though.

(note that this violates your warranty, blah blah blah).

For everyone who ends up getting Sunday Ticket Max "for free", I would highly advise logging into your online account with DirecTV and verifying it. I spoke with a rep in Retention yesterday morning who gave me ST Max for free, but when I checked my account last night they had only given me the regular ST. So, after one more call to them and calling them on their bait and switch, the second rep gave me ST Max for free (verified it!), as well as $23 off per month for 12 months in addition to $10 off our premium movie channels for 6 months.

The opening salvo I have used the past few years is to mention seeing all the football forums light up with people getting ST Max for free this time of year and that I refuse to be one of the suckers who subsidizes it for everyone else. Then mention canceling if I don't get it for free. No negotiations are necessary after that, which shortens the amount of time you have to spend on the call. I only wish that line worked with the IRS!

I'm just starting year 2 of my contract. Regular rep had little to offer so asked to be transferred. Best retentions could offer was $180 for ST and $15 off 12 mos and $10 off 6 months. I took the package discounts but passed on ST for now. Will call back at end of July.

Update - called back today because i got charged the first installment for ST on my latest bill (even thought i'd been assured after the last calll i wouldn't be charged). Used that angle to ask to talk to a cancellations. And then i heard the magic words: "What can i do to make you a happy Directv customer today." I was honest. I told them the only reason i signed up for directv was ST. He said the best they could do was half off...so $112.50 for ST. I then proceeded to press my luck and asked for the ST Max at the ST discount price which he said he couldn't do but did offer me the same hald off deal at $150. Then i mentioned that i had friends (you guys) that were getting ST Max for free. He said that was impossible and the only free offers were for brand new customers. He hemmed and hawed but eventually offered me an additional $20 off the Max. At that point, I had to bite.

I'm more than happy to pay $130 for ST Max - that works out to less than $8 a week for 17 weeks of football, including RedZone, mobile/tablet/pc, and short cuts (replay games in 30 minutes). The call took 39 minutes. Thank you to everyone here for their stories and advice.

Just got my Sunday Ticket for FREE! and $45 off my bill for the next year. Just made the annual "wife wants us to switch to Charter and bundle our TV and Internet" speal and acted like I wanted to cancel my DirectTV (I'm still under contract until next May). I've been with DirectTV about 10 years and I don't think I've ever paid full price for Sunday Ticket....I've gotten it for free a few times now.

Edited by Stl Bills

Just got Sunday Ticket Max for free, $15 credit for 15 months, Four $5 dollar credits for 6 months, a $75 credit, and Free Genie 5 Tuner HD-DVR. Had to pay $99 for the Genie Go Box and renew my contract for 24 months because of the Free Genie.

Thanks DirecTV.

EDIT: I called back to ask for the AM21 OTA Tuner to pair with the Genie and they are providing it at no cost. :thumbsup:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

So last year I ordered the regular Sunday ticket, not the max package.

I noticed I was unable to DVR any game that was on the Sunday ticket. The games on the local broadcast DVR fine.

What would happen is the game would DVR, show up in my playlist, but then when I would play it, it would be a blank screen. Every time. Anyone else have this issue? Does the regular ticket package not allow you to DVR or was this just a problem on my end?

So last year I ordered the regular Sunday ticket, not the max package.

I noticed I was unable to DVR any game that was on the Sunday ticket. The games on the local broadcast DVR fine.

What would happen is the game would DVR, show up in my playlist, but then when I would play it, it would be a blank screen. Every time. Anyone else have this issue? Does the regular ticket package not allow you to DVR or was this just a problem on my end?

I had the Max one year and really only used it if I had to make an emergency trip to the restroom and used my phone. I only get the regular S/T and DVR every game, have for years. If you are in the Buffalo area and try to DVR it on the 700ish channel when it is on the local channel, it won't be on both. Edited by BuffBill

Ordered mine to watch in the UK. Bills games only. GBP £89 as the International version. That's about USD150-. Its a lot cheaper than crossing the Atlantic. May be tempted by a trip to Florida later in the season for some live action.

I had no problems with DVR-ing games off ST.

Thanks. Will have to give them a call this year. It wasn't a problem as I am home to watch the games, but I like to DVR them especially if I am going to the game in person

I liked using it watch an extra game, would have the TV on with maybe the Bills game, but then on computer would have a second one on.

I had the Max one year and really only used it if I had to make an emergency trip to the restroom and used my phone. I only get the regular S/T and DVR every game, have for years. If you are in the Buffalo area and try to DVR it on the 700ish channel when it is on the local channel, it won't be on both.

I always have bills on in living room, colts or other team in sun room so I can sneak a peak over every so often and than another game running on the iPad. Sunday ticket is worth whatever you end up paying for it even if full price. I may go for a free genie but have four dvrs already so to add a genie need to change something else out.