over-rated and under-rated bands: one man's insober list

in honor of @TBNSully's top-100 album countdown, have elected to come up with a top/bottom list of over- and under-rated rock and roll acts.

here's number 10 on each list. Let the stepping on toes begin.

over-rated:

jethro tull..

one word: flute.

honoroble unmentions: u2 (beyond "zooropa"); rem (beyond "green"). both bands shoulda broke up before producing such tin-eared, over-reachingly precious gunk.

+10

under-rated:

Joan Jett.

though known mostly for her "put a dime in the jukebox, baby" Ms. Jett managed to help form The Runaways, which led to L7 and my guilty pleasure, The Donnas. and she proceeded to partner up several times with sir Paul Westerberg to produce actual rock and roll.

honorable mentions: Liz Phair, Sloan and Blue Rodeo.

more to follow.

jw

Over-rated No. 9: coldplay

Under-rated No. 9: The Cramps. ... http://forums.twobil...80#entry2817889

Over-rated No. 8: Green Day.

Under-rated No. 8: The English Beat. ... http://forums.twobil...00#entry2819264

Over-rated No. 7: The Doors.

Under-rated No. 7: T-Rex. ... http://forums.twobil...80#entry2820870

Over-rated No. 6: Genesis.

Under-rated No. 6: P*ssy Riot ... http://forums.twobil...40#entry2822344

Over-rated No. 5: Mumford and Sons

Under-rated No. 5: The Kills. ... http://forums.twobil...00#entry2823601

Over-rated No. 4: Garth Brooks.

Under-rated No. 4: Steve Earle ... http://forums.twobil...80#entry2826669

Over-rated No. 3: Radiohead.

Under-rated No. 3: The Replacements. ... http://forums.twobil...80#entry2827903

Over-rated No. 2: Dave Matthews Band

Under-Rated No. 2 (1B actually): Nick Lowe. ... http://forums.twobil...80#entry2829453

Over-rated No. 1: The White Stripes.

Under-Rated No. 1: Drive-By Truckers. ... http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/158577-over-rated-and-under-rated-bands-one-mans-insober-list/page__st__400?do=findComment&comment=2831850

(Eds note: I have albums and/or seen in concert every act on this list with the exception of Coldplay.)

Edited by john wawrow

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beach Boys the first that come to mind for me... mostly insipid stuff.

have to disagree on the Beach Boys, who helped revitalize American-based rock and roll at a time when the Brits began to dominate.

Herman's Hermits. Meh.

never did anything really for anyone, which is why, i think they're neither over or under-rated. "Meh" just about sums them up.

each top- and bottom-10 list is complete, and i'm pretty sure this is going to get ugly as we progress.

jw

Give Pet Sounds a listen.

And wawrow what do you have against the flute. Jethro Tull was a great live act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BJoLD6eG-4

i can not and will not defend a flute in a discussion regarding rock and roll.

and thanks for providing the link, which seems to lend further credence to my point and how out of place this excessive solo is.

in fact, i'm starting to wonder whether i under-rated how over-rated tull just might be.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

and thanks for providing the link, which seems to lend further credence to my point and how out of place this excessive solo is.

in fact, i'm starting to wonder whether i under-rated how over-rated tull just might be.

jw

So all you have against Tull is the fact that they featured the flute ? I am a fan of Tull and can attest that the flute supports their music rather than acts as the central piece.

And of all the bands, you chose Tull to be over-rated ? Pray explain your reasons beyond the flute aspect.

IMHO, Tull was a very versatile band that evolved over the years. From their early blues based music (This Was, Stand Up) to prog rock (Thick as a Brick, Aqualung) to folksy rock (Heavy Horses, Songs from the Wood), they kept delivering different music very very well.

My only complaint against the band is that they should have stopped cutting new albums in the 80s and stopped touring in the 90s.

jw you sound like Lester Bangs in Almost Famous...

Did you know that "The Letter" by The Box Tops was a minute and 58 seconds long? Means nothing. Nil. But it takes them less than two minutes to accomplish what Jethro Tull takes hours to not accomplish! (pulls Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick from the shelf) You see this? This is fatuous, pseudo blubber! You know...which is fine, but...to foist it off as art -- Or The Doors? Jim Morrison? He's a drunken buffoon posing a poet. Aw. Give me the Guess Who. Come on. They got the courage to be drunken buffoons, which makes them poetic!

jw

I'm not going to get into an argument over music I like that you don't. I always say that is futile because music is so subjective. But for me personally I like the uniqueness of a flute in rock and roll. So what other instruments are forbidden in rock and roll? Trombones? Oboes? Violas? :rolleyes:

I'm not going to get into an argument over music I like that you don't. I always say that is futile because music is so subjective. But for me personally I like the uniqueness of a flute in rock and roll. So what other instruments are forbidden in rock and roll? Trombones? Oboes? Violas? :rolleyes:

Guess that leaves GFR out

Overrated : Metallica, nirvana

Underrated: Jewel, Natalie Maines, cheap trick

Not a Metallica fan, but I disagree. And I strongly disagree about Nirvana.

Jewel sucks. Terribly.

Cheap Trick was a great band, IMO, but not sure they're underrated.

Over: The Doors, Adele

Under: The Guess Who, The Little River Band

have to disagree on the Beach Boys, who helped revitalize American-based rock and roll at a time when the Brits began to dominate.

Honeslty, I have just always hated their vocals... sacraledge I know, but they just irritate the **** out of me. Would much rather listen to Chuck Berry or the Everly Brothers...even Herman's Hermits...

Give Pet Sounds a listen.

I have a pretty healthy respect for the classics...and I realize the Beach Boys are considered classic. I have purchased "Pet Sounds" about three or four different times over the years, in its' various re-releases, and I just can't get into it at all...realizing it is because of that damn vocal style... I just never can understand the hype surrounding that album. I am probably missing out on something.

I am not saying it is rational, I just can't stand it. I must admit, I saw them once at the old Rockpile, after an old-timers baseball game...it was horrendous...this was in the mid-70's, so likely not a stellar lineup of guys in the band...but images of Mike Love have scarred me forever...

Of course, I get annoyed when people say they hate Dylan (or Neal Young) because they "can't sing". If you are stuck on their voices, you are missing the point, IMO. But, I realzie

Honeslty, I have just always hated their vocals... sacraledge I know, but they just irritate the **** out of me. Would much rather listen to Chuck Berry or the Everly Brothers...even Herman's Hermits...

I have a pretty healthy respect for the classics...and I realize the Beach Boys are considered classic. I have purchased "Pet Sounds" about three or four different times over the years, in its' various re-releases, and I just can't get into it at all...realizing it is because of that damn vocal style... I just never can understand the hype surrounding that album. I am probably missing out on something.

I am not saying it is rational, I just can't stand it. I must admit, I saw them once at the old Rockpile, after an old-timers baseball game...it was horrendous...this was in the mid-70's, so likely not a stellar lineup of guys in the band...but images of Mike Love have scarred me forever...

Of course, I get annoyed when people say they hate Dylan (or Neal Young) because they "can't sing". If you are stuck on their voices, you are missing the point, IMO. But, I realzie

No I get it and that's the beauty of music. We all like what we like and really shouldn't give a **** what other people think. If you noticed I never posted in the Songs You Wish Would go Away Forever thread. I love pretty much all music.

Not a Metallica fan, but I disagree. And I strongly disagree about Nirvana.

Jewel sucks. Terribly.

Cheap Trick was a great band, IMO, but not sure they're underrated.

Over: The Doors, Adele

Under: The Guess Who, The Little River Band

Are you sure you got over/under on the right lists?

the overrated pair are overrated. Cheap trick is one of few bands where today's kids know the music but no idea who sang bit or how good the other songs were. Natalie and Jewel are both very good vocalists that go forgotten besides other equally amazing women.

the overrated pair are overrated. Cheap trick is one of few bands where today's kids know the music but no idea who sang bit or how good the other songs were. Natalie and Jewel are both very good vocalists that go forgotten besides other equally amazing women.

I think you just like Jewels jugs :nana:

Only do underrated..music too subjective

My favorite somewhat popular musicians..

Todd rungren

Talking heads

Peter Gabriel

Steve Perry..journey and solo..sorry new guy can't hold steve's set of pipes

Elton John..saw him in Saratoga mid eighties..just went off for 3 hrs.absolutely amazon

Agree on cheap trick

Zz top

Only do underrated..music too subjective

My favorite somewhat popular musicians..

Todd rungren

Talking heads

Peter Gabriel

Steve Perry..journey and solo..sorry new guy can't hold steve's set of pipes

Elton John..saw him in Saratoga mid eighties..just went off for 3 hrs.absolutely amazon

Agree on cheap trick

Zz top

Elton John underrated? He was knighted for Gods sake.

as noted, got more coming. thinking of releasing the latest Tuesday morning.

a few thoughts: Elvis Presley can never be over-rated despite his long, slow, spiral into sloppiness. that said, i would suggest that he was the least interesting and least talented of the Sun Studios' Mount Rushmore rounded out by Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis. now those three could rock.

funny, that everyone's debating my pick of Jethro Tull as being over-rated, and yet there is nothing here regarding Joan Jett as being my 10th under-rated artist. not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

from the beginning, Joan established herself as one heck of a rocker in her stint with the Runaways. she was their most talented member, trumping Lita Ford. and her body of work through the decades holds up. it's too bad some -- many? -- dismissed her as a one-trick pony because of the "Jukebox" song. in the end, she's outlasted Chrissie Hynde as a rocker, because Hynde's best days are far behind her and mostly limited to the Pretenders first album, which owed its success far more to James Honeywell Scott's grizzly guitar playing, and how it complemented Hynde's growl.

Scott's passing, as well as Farndon's death soon after, took all the guts, glory and fuel out of this group, and most probably cost rock and roll fans a chance to see this band's full potential.

(and no, the pretenders don't make my list of over-rated).

oh, and anyone suggesting Elton John is "under-rated" has spent far too much time locked in a cold dark cellar without a radio, record, cassette and cd player for 40 years. geez, Elton John, under-rated. he's so "respected" in music circles that they parade him out to do duets with "artists" seeking to improve their reputation.

jw you sound like Lester Bangs in Almost Famous...

and you know what, i read CREEM Magazine growing up. a wonderful magazine inspired by Mr. Bangs.

Overrated : Metallica, nirvana

Underrated: Jewel, Natalie Maines, cheap trick

gotta disagree there. but this is one person's opinion. what Metallica did in leading up and including their "Enter Sandman" album was important in ushering in a post-80s sound. both they and GNR's first album provided the bridge that amalgamated hair-metal and punk to push music forward. what followed hasn't been pretty, but ...

cheap trick, sure. as for Natalie Maines, the Dixie Chicks can make a case for being somewhat under-rated, or perhaps, dismissed as a mere "country" group, or "that band that insulted Bush."

but their record sales and the critical acclaim derived from their last album removes them from under-rated contention in my opinion.

that said, their best album, "Home," is extremely under-rated. as for Maines, haven't picked up her new cd yet. am interested. hope it's better than the other two's debut Courtyard Hounds. that was very underwhelming, coming off as watered-down Sheryl Crow wanabes. even the name of their group seemed forced,

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Overrated: Phish (even though I do listen to them)

Underrated: Little Feat, The Band, Canned Heat, Grateful Dead (loved mostly by dead heads, hated by most others), and anything Jerry Garcia did outside of the Dead.

Thanks to the RIP Ed Schaughnessy thread I will also add Doc Severinsen's Tonight Show Orchestra to the list of underrateds.

Tool as being overrated is utter nonsense

I have to agree. I've never seen them live but was at this show and it's the closest I've come.

as noted, got more coming. thinking of releasing the latest Tuesday morning.

a few thoughts: Elvis Presley can never be over-rated despite his long, slow, spiral into sloppiness. that said, i would suggest that he was the least interesting and least talented of the Sun Studios' Mount Rushmore rounded out by Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis. now those three could rock.

funny, that everyone's debating my pick of Jethro Tull as being over-rated, and yet there is nothing here regarding Joan Jett as being my 10th under-rated artist. not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

from the beginning, Joan established herself as one heck of a rocker in her stint with the Runaways. she was their most talented member, trumping Lita Ford. and her body of work through the decades holds up. it's too bad some -- many? -- dismissed her as a one-trick pony because of the "Jukebox" song. in the end, she's outlasted Chrissie Hynde as a rocker, because Hynde's best days are far behind her and mostly limited to the Pretenders first album, which owed its success far more to James Honeywell Scott's grizzly guitar playing, and how it complemented Hynde's growl.

Scott's passing, as well as Farndon's death soon after, took all the guts, glory and fuel out of this group, and most probably cost rock and roll fans a chance to see this band's full potential.

(and no, the pretenders don't make my list of over-rated).

oh, and anyone suggesting Elton John is "under-rated" has spent far too much time locked in a cold dark cellar without a radio, record, cassette and cd player for 40 years. geez, Elton John, under-rated. he's so "respected" in music circles that they parade him out to do duets with "artists" seeking to improve their reputation.

and you know what, i read CREEM Magazine growing up. a wonderful magazine inspired by Mr. Bangs.

gotta disagree there. but this is one person's opinion. what Metallica did in leading up and including their "Enter Sandman" album was important in ushering in a post-80s sound. both they and GNR's first album provided the bridge that amalgamated hair-metal and punk to push music forward. what followed hasn't been pretty, but ...

cheap trick, sure. as for Natalie Maines, the Dixie Chicks can make a case for being somewhat under-rated, or perhaps, dismissed as a mere "country" group, or "that band that insulted Bush."

but their record sales and the critical acclaim derived from their last album removes them from under-rated contention in my opinion.

that said, their best album, "Home," is extremely under-rated. as for Maines, haven't picked up her new cd yet. am interested. hope it's better than the other two's debut Courtyard Hounds. that was very underwhelming, coming off as watered-down Sheryl Crow wanabes. even the name of their group seemed forced,

jw

Don't get me wrong. Elvis has made some great tracks, but to be considered the "King of Rock-N-Roll" makes him overrated, IMO. He wasn't that good.

Don't get me wrong. Elvis has made some great tracks, but to be considered the "King of Rock-N-Roll" makes him overrated, IMO. He wasn't that good.

you do make a good case.

thing is, his looks, style and voice helped pave the way for a swivel-shaking sound to become palatable to a larger audience searching for a face and voice. he might not deserve the crown, but his influence is importance in establishing the foundation of the music as we know it today. and it's difficult to fault Elvis entirely because anyone who would have had the misfortune of being caught up in that tidal wave would've been crushed by it's uncontrollable and massive wake.

he helped start it, so credit to him.

jw

Thanks to the RIP Ed Schaughnessy thread I will also add Doc Severinsen's Tonight Show Orchestra to the list of underrateds.

I have to agree. I've never seen them live but was at this show and it's the closest I've come.

Who is that covering?

I know many will disagree, but I think Bruce Springstein is ridiculously overrated. I hear he does a great live show, and who didn't love "Born in the USA", but when I hear his hit songs like "Born to Run" or "Glory Days" come on the radio I feel like I'm listening to Rick Springfield with a grittier voice.

As far as Jewel goes, she was a great artist until 2003 when she abandoned her artistic identity for bubble gum pop. If you don't know what I mean listen to "Meant for me" and follow it with "Intuition". In the first song you hear a talented artist singing a song that means something to her; the second is an empty, meaningless, emotionless canned song that might as well have been given to the latest greatest Mickey Mouse Club graduate or American Idol winner.

I also agree that Grateful Dead is underrated, often times even by their fans. Sure, not all of their songs are masterpieces, but they've got a lot of gems.

Umphrey's Mcgee. Might as well add the to the underrated pile. Not underrated as much as unknown. \mm/

Sound was good....but no one can replicate Maynard James Keenan's pipes