over-rated and under-rated bands: one man's insober list

hipster movement. is the one you're referring to when he went to Folsom County Prison to perform. or might it just be the "Boy Named Sue?" "Don't Take Your Guns to Town," "I Walk The Line," "Ring of Fire," or might it be when he teamed up with the Carter Family. or, might it be the rebel finger in the air pose he struck on a billboard in Nashville to share his disdain for the corporate sound?

yes, him redoing "Hurt" saved his soul and reputation, given that his reputation as a "rocker/rebel" had already been established long before Rick Rubin got to him. Leave Johnny Cash off? Charlie Rich did to country music what essentially Michael MacDonald did to rock and the Doobie Brothers.

jw

My point was Cashs' bad stuff was every bit as bad (and some way worse) than anything Elvis ever did. And, beside, it is my Mt Rushmore! It seems the criteria here is, "I like them, so they aren't underrated..." It is pretty arbitrary.

You really owe it to yourself to listen to some Charlie Rich...it seems like you are missing out on something there. Pick up his Smash records collection...he was the white Ray Charles. Mixed r-n-b and country (as they should be) as seamlessly as it has ever been done.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are we defining "underrated" and "overrated?" By popularity? By how they are regarded by people who are really into music? Take a band like Dream Theater. They're revered - much like Rush - as a band of almost infinite talent by those who've listened to them extensively. Of course, they're relatively unknown by the masses. I could see a case for making them "underrated" because of their lack of popularity given their musical talents and influence on other musicians ...or I could see someone who just doesn't care for them label them as "overrated" or "indulgent" because many consider them one of the best bands around and one of the most influential ones to other musicians.

Underrated

Dream Theater - I fall in the former category. Some of the best music (obviously Imo) in the past 20 years has been put out by DT. To see them live is to fully understand how great they are. There is no drop off from their studio albums.

Faith No More - Known mostly for "Epic" which is really one of their weaker efforts. Not an all time great band but one that had pretty big influence on other musicians yet gets little credit.

At the Drive in/Mars Volta - Two different bands but with the same creative force. Fantastic stuff.

Pixies - They get lots of credit as a major influence to other bands but I don't feel they get enough from the public. Nirvana, Radiohead, White Stripes, hell, even David Bowie all cite them as a major influence on their music as do loads of other musicians. Granted, the Pixies were influenced by the Stooges so maybe they should be on this list instead of the Pixies but I think Iggy Pop gets enough credit though.

Clutch - Not the most talented band but damn if they don't have a knack for creating catchy riffs that are enjoyable as hell to listen to.

Overrated

GNR

Nine Inch Nails

The Clash - yeah, I'm going to get hammered for this one but I could just never get into them. They were always kind of "meh" for me. I don't hate 'em but from my perspective their stuff isn't deserving of the love-fest they get.

And really, the OP is listing Jethro Tull as "overrated" simply because they used a flute? What an extremely limited palet you must have. There is nothing "overrated" about Jethro Tull.

ok, let's get to the next on the list:

most over-rated No. 9: coldplay

could never understand what these precious melodies, sugar-cooked by dainty strings and chris martin's all-too-perfect voice ever did for advancing music. they're like the supertramp of our age, all excessive folly and style, and little substance; echo without the bunnymen, perhaps. let's all become gwenyth paltrow and coo and fawn over pseudo-important symphonic sap.

really, it's all summed up in the opening bars of the maudlin "Fix You." this is less a band than a computer-generated version of what muzak aspired to provide: background noise for happy shoppers.

most under-rated No. 9: The Cramps.

from the opening rev of the engine of "Garbageman," this odd collective led by Lux Interior and Poison Ivy showed it meant serious business. inspired by the rockabilly sound of the late 1950s, the Cramps provided an intense and frighteningly sharp updated version on the genre. they were at the same time a distinct contrast to what the Stray Cats would be, and a sort of anti-thesis of The Beach Boys' sunshine surf pop songs that preceded them.

they were dirty, grungy and shameless: three components required to make a dent in this business.

drawing inspiration from everything from their most recent contemporaries the Ramones and T-Rex, and well beyond with Duane Eddy and Link Wray (two under-rated artists in their own right), the Cramps avoided wandering into the neighborhood of campiness. their rock and roll roots were well grounded, evidenced by the compilation albums they released in later years, featuring bands and songs that influenced them in an attempt to shed light on good, fun music nearly forgotten. bonus points, too, for their work with Alex Chilton.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Underrated

Dream Theater - I fall in the former category. Some of the best music (obviously Imo) in the past 20 years has been put out by DT. To see them live is to fully understand how great they are. There is no drop off from their studio albums.

Agreed. Been a DT fan since I&W was released, great stuff. Although I do think they peaked with Scenes from a Memory and have been going down since then. Maybe it's because Scenes was just that good.

Sidenote: I was one of the people who signed a petition to get A Change of Seasons recorded. Someone on the Ytsejam mailing list started the petition, then printed off all of the "signatures" and dropped it off at the record label. We got a "special thanks" in the liner notes. :)

i resisted coldplay for a long time...i had seen one of those cbs sunday morning segment on them and came away with a positive opinion of them. I do like chris martin as a performer and how can you hate a guy that gets to go home to gweneth paltow every night...i get peoples disdain for them, but i for one dig 'em

could never understand what these precious melodies, sugar-cooked by dainty strings and chris martin's all-too-perfect voice ever did for advancing music. they're like the supertramp of our age, all excessive folly and style, and little substance; echo without the bunnymen, perhaps. let's all become gwenyth paltrow and coo and fawn over pseudo-important symphonic sap.

really, it's all summed up in the opening bars of the maudlin "Fix You." this is less a band than a computer-generated version of what muzak aspired to provide: background noise for happy shoppers.

from the opening rev of the engine of "Garbageman," this odd collective led by Lux Interior and Poison Ivy showed it meant serious business. inspired by the rockabilly sound of the late 1950s, the Cramps provided an intense and frighteningly sharp updated version on the genre. they were at the same time a distinct contrast to what the Stray Cats would be, and a sort of anti-thesis of The Beach Boys' sunshine surf pop songs that preceded them.

they were dirty, grungy and shameless: three components required to make a dent in this business.

drawing inspiration from everything from their most recent contemporaries the Ramones and T-Rex, and well beyond with Duane Eddy and Link Wray (two under-rated artists in their own right), the Cramps avoided wandering into the neighborhood of campiness. their rock and roll roots were well grounded, evidenced by the compilation albums they released in later years, featuring bands and songs that influenced them in an attempt to shed light on good, fun music nearly forgotten. bonus points, too, for their work with Alex Chilton.

jw

jw

The Coldplay recipe for a Grammy-winning song: take a Joe Satriani song, boil for six hours, and serve with warm milk.

How are we defining "underrated" and "overrated?" By popularity? By how they are regarded by people who are really into music? Take a band like Dream Theater. They're revered - much like Rush - as a band of almost infinite talent by those who've listened to them extensively. Of course, they're relatively unknown by the masses. I could see a case for making them "underrated" because of their lack of popularity given their musical talents and influence on other musicians ...or I could see someone who just doesn't care for them label them as "overrated" or "indulgent" because many consider them one of the best bands around and one of the most influential ones to other musicians.

I think we are defining it by how much somebody else, who actually read your post, hates what you like.

Dream Theater aren't underrated as much as people simply don't enjoy progressive rock. I fit into that category. They have ridiculous talent, but their music simply doesn't appeal to me.

I liked Coldplay's first two albums a lot. They sold out with Viva la Vida. I actually bought tickets to see them in Saratoga for that tour as an anniversary gift. After hearing the album, I told my wife she could take a friend. Horrible crap, whether they ripped off Satriani, or not.

Speaking of overrated ... Add Joe Satriani to the list. He's not even a top 20 guitarist.

i resisted coldplay for a long time...i had seen one of those cbs sunday morning segment on them and came away with a positive opinion of them. I do like chris martin as a performer and how can you hate a guy that gets to go home to gweneth paltow every night...i get peoples disdain for them, but i for one dig 'em

Paltrow is even more overrated than her husband's band. Plain Jane frump/geek combo.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I think she is gorgeous...but whatevs!

I used to think she was overrated when she first became known, when she was going out with Brad Pitt. But, she has really aged well, and has one of the best pairs of legs ever:

042408_paltrow_200x400.jpg

I think it depends on what Genesis period you refer to. One could argue they are under-rated in the early to mid years when they were good IMO. I think the Then there were Three album may have been the turning point.

One could argue? No I think it's 100% certain. They were uber underrated during the Peter Gabriel years and WAY overrated after. Su, su, sussudio. Are you !@#$ing kidding me.

What Chef said, the post-Gabriel version of Genesis.

as for the best song Peter Gabriel actually wrote, it's essentially a toss up between: Solsbury Hill and Biko.

For me, the choice between those two would be Solsbury Hill. If you included all his songs, it would be a tough choice, but this would be in my top 10...

Sky Blue (featuring the Blind Boys Of Alabama)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gSzZEj-jjF0

And if you have two hours to spare....

Growing Up Live

I used to think she was overrated when she first became known, when she was going out with Brad Pitt. But, she has really aged well, and has one of the best pairs of legs ever:

042408_paltrow_200x400.jpg

Yeah... the fact that she is a bit pretentious has blinded some people. She is a very nice looking lady. I remember the first movie I ever saw her in, "Flesh & Bone". She had a small role, but kind of stole the show...at that time, I had no idea who she was. I had no idea that she was Blythe Danner's daugther. Blythe was pretty attractive in her day as well...

Finally, while many will passionately disagree I think the Beattles are way over-rated. I think much of their music simply sucks.

I was waiting for this one. Surprised in a thread that's devolved into slagging the 'foundational fathers' of so much that followed (regardless of what genre you like) that it took so long to come up.

Okay...

They're overrated because they pretty much suck.

hate to say it, but need more than that. saying they suck without backing it up with examples and an argument leaves one to question why you think this might be so.

The Beatles cannot be considered as being over-rated because they did more than foster an Ed Sullivan show craze. they pushed music forward by experimenting with genres before finding something that eventually came to be defined as their own sound. some of it was simple pop, but it was unpretentious pop, and rooted in RandB and country that preceded them. their other work experimented to varying degrees of success and failure with other brands of music.

but there can be no arguing with such classics as "Norwegian Wood," "Help!" the very under-ratred "Paperback Writer" or the simple yet perfect "I Want to Hold Your Hand" as anything but over-rated. few bands have been able to craft such music and express it with such simplicity and resonance, no matter what the era. Hank Williams did it. Marshall Crenshaw tried and ran out of steam and melody. Nick Lowe, maybe.

and the "sibling rivalry" between Lennon and McCartney, combined with the conscience of George Harrison and playfulness of Ringo Starr made this group click. not the greatest rock and roll band in my opinion, the Stones hold that title in my book, but still very good.

jw

more to come when i have time.

It's started out that way in the original post.

please, i've not called you names or questioned your mental health simply because i called Jethro Tull over-rated. they are, in my opinion, so get a thicker skin ... and a less tinnier ear, perhaps. ... i'm kidding. whysoserious?

jw

Edited by john wawrow

ok, let's get to the meat of the next matter:

No. 8 over-rated:

Green Day, the sellouts of Broadway. pseudo-punk pop posers exposed. for a band that certainly made its stamp with a keen ear for power pop, they allowed their self-indulgent marketing tendencies get the better of them through much of this past decade with two "concept" albums, the release of three "solo" albums and the decision to go-ahead with a Broadway production.

whatever alternative cache they had ended there. oh, they're more popular than ever, luring a new audience with empty promises and tinny trinkets of some olde tyme punk-rock past. but it's soul-less and crass. they've allowed themselves to be grammy-fied, leaving me to wonder whether that wasn't the agenda all along. and i'm sure the rock and roll hall of fame will soon be calling, if it hasn't yet.

rather than further pursue their roots which they attempted with such side projects as "The Foxboro Hot Tubs," they instead let their egos and bottom line desires get the better of them. Johnny Thunders et al, would be ashamed.

tres too cool, i think.

(Sidenote: on one of the early versions of compiling this list, i had Pearl Jam in this spot. in retrospect, that was unfair and undeserving. though there's only so much Eddie Vedder growl and distortioned anthems one can take in one sitting before becoming overburdened by ennui, their collection of songs stands up. at the very least they rebounded with their 2006 release "Pearl Jam" after ushering in the new millenium with the totally unlistenable -- and perhaps unpronounceable -- "Binaural." a knock against them is a tendency for being stuck in a rut.

whereas David Grohl morphed into the Foo Fighters to carry on the rock and roll torch through a dreadful period of music in the 90s, and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers stretched their limits by putting out not one but two classic double albums, Pearl Jam seemingly kept trying to recapture the urgency of "10," which really wasn't their best album. Vs. was.)

Under-rated No. 8

The English Beat. somewhat lost in the 2nd British Invasion, they weren't Elvis Costello or The Clash, and they certainly weren't UB40 or what eventually became of Madness post "One Step Beyond" -- and i'm referring to the MTV darling "Our House."

The Beat deserve credit for releasing one of the most complete and listenable albums ever: "I Just Can't Stop It." what a rollicking, jazzy fury of toe-tapping songs that belie the underlying angst, drive and anger, bringing together echos of all their influences.

The Clash might have led the charge in taking on Margaret Thatcher and the troubles in Brixton, but it was the Beat that did it with keen style with one wonderful song: "Whine & Grine" which segued into "Stand Down Margaret." beyond that, "Best Friend," "Jackpot" and their remake of "Tears of a Clown" are classics unto themselves.

more musical than The Specials, not as sweet as the Jackson 5, and more important than whatever UB40 ever became.

Unfortunately, the English Beat unraveled under their own disparate weight. what followed wasn't as complete as the whole that was. and yet, the impressions they left both in studio and live were unforgettable.

jw

ok, let's get to the meat of the next matter:

No. 8 over-rated:

(Sidenote: on one of the early versions of compiling this list, i had Pearl Jam in this spot. in retrospect, that was unfair and undeserving. though there's only so much Eddie Vedder growl and distortioned anthems one can take in one sitting before becoming overburdened by ennui, their collection of songs stands up. at the very least they rebounded with their 2006 release "Pearl Jam" after ushering in the new millenium with the totally unlistenable -- and perhaps unpronounceable -- "Binaural." a knock against them is a tendency for being stuck in a rut.

I have always been a Greenday fan, but I can't disagree with your assessment. However ... I think you're gut instinct to put Pearl Jam there was spot on. They made one great album (their debut) and one good album (their sophomor effort). The rest was crap. I look at Eddie Vedder the same way I look at Jim Morrison. They play the part of "rock star" well, but they are posers with no real talent.

Remove the flannel and the dramatic facial expressions and what you're left with from Eddie Vedder is a below average voice singing lyrics that have no substance.

I confess, I always liked them too.

nice play on words.

saw them live in the early 80s. still one of my favorite shows.

I have always been a Greenday fan, but I can't disagree with your assessment. However ... I think you're gut instinct to put Pearl Jam there was spot on. They made one great album (their debut) and one good album (their sophomor effort). The rest was crap. I look at Eddie Vedder the same way I look at Jim Morrison. They play the part of "rock star" well, but they are posers with no real talent.

Remove the flannel and the dramatic facial expressions and what you're left with from Eddie Vedder is a below average voice singing lyrics that have no substance.

you make fair points, but after giving the Pearl Jam library one more spin, i couldn't go there and was forced in all good conscience to reconsider.

jw

Edited by john wawrow