over-rated and under-rated bands: one man's insober list

Love this thread. Picked up some great new music to enjoy.

Being an old fart, some of my undrerateds include:

Moody Blues

The Guess Who

Hall & Oates

Talk Talk

New band, so not yet underared:

London Grammar

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh goody, resurrection of the "Your Music Sucks Because I Don't Like It" Thread.

Hardly. Metalica is like Tom Brady to me. I respect what both have done, realize they're at the top of the game regardless of how I feel for them - myself personally - but have no real stake in how they perform or what they do. I do not care for what they provide to their respective professions.

Good for Metalica for being top selling but their style just does not move me.

Hardly. Metalica is like Tom Brady to me. I respect what both have done, realize they're at the top of the game regardless of how I feel for them - myself personally - but have no real stake in how they perform or what they do. I do not care for what they provide to their respective professions.

Good for Metalica for being top selling but their style just does not move me.

Terrible comparison. Music is very subjective. I like what i like and you like what you like and who gives a ****. But Brady's talents are far from subjective. He's probably the best that has ever played the game and if you don't care for what he provides to his profession is just pure jealousy. I've never understood that.

Terrible comparison. Music is very subjective. I like what i like and you like what you like and who gives a ****. But Brady's talents are far from subjective. He's probably the best that has ever played the game and if you don't care for what he provides to his profession is just pure jealousy. I've never understood that.

Interesting and fair perspective. Brady's style of play is not my cup of tea, though. His whining and antics really turn me off compared to other QB's. Even Manning gets on my nerves with his 30 second LOS sideshow and calls.

I was not just talking about their skill level, I was mostly talking about their style of play. I liked Flutie's style of play but could not stand his skill or talent. I liked Trent Edwards style, but same thing. I did not mind Bledsoe's, could not stand Losmans, or Collins. Van Pelt always made me feel uncomfortable, like the JV QB taking snaps.

Interesting and fair perspective. Brady's style of play is not my cup of tea, though. His whining and antics really turn me off compared to other QB's. Even Manning gets on my nerves with his 30 second LOS sideshow and calls.

I was not just talking about their skill level, I was mostly talking about their style of play. I liked Flutie's style of play but could not stand his skill or talent. I liked Trent Edwards style, but same thing. I did not mind Bledsoe's, could not stand Losmans, or Collins. Van Pelt always made me feel uncomfortable, like the JV QB taking snaps.

What is it about Brady's style you don't like? I'm not going to turn this into a football debate but did you ever think that Manning's 30 second line of scrimmage sideshow is why he's so !@#$ing good?

Edited by Chef Jim

What is it about Brady's style you don't like? I'm not going to turn this into a football debate but did you ever think that Manning's 30 second line of scrimmage sideshow is why he's so !@#$ing good?

I get it, I do. Brady's a cry baby and he just acts like a douche some times.

I get it, I do. Brady's a cry baby and he just acts like a douche some times.

Here is the defining question and I'll let it get back to music. Please be 100% honest. Would you still say the same thing about him if had been with the Bills all these years with the same results?

Here is the defining question and I'll let it get back to music. Please be 100% honest. Would you still say the same thing about him if had been with the Bills all these years with the same results?

No. No Bills fan would. Any football fan who dislikes Brady or denies that he is one of the (if not THE) best is purely jealous.

Love this thread. Picked up some great new music to enjoy.

Being an old fart, some of my undrerateds include:

Moody Blues

The Guess Who

Hall & Oates

Talk Talk

New band, so not yet underared:

London Grammar

I will totally agree with the Guess Who. I always like Hall and Oates, but I'd never consider them underrated.

you realize that you don't need to contribute to this thread.

we get that you don't like the whole concept of it. so feel free to ignore it for all our sakes.

jw

I loved the concept of it. As a matter of fact I was one of the first to participate as it was originally proposed. It then escalated to people (including me) arguing over music which in my mind is one of the stupidests things ever to argue about. And you asking me to ignore this thread is great. :lol:

Edited by Chef Jim

Here is the defining question and I'll let it get back to music. Please be 100% honest. Would you

still say the same thing about him if had been with the Bills all these years with the same results?

yes. I bash Spiller for his antics. I chide SJ13 celebration acts. I was and am strongly against the way Whitner carries himself but like how he plays. I don't mince words and feelings to spare insulting a Bill.

yes. I bash Spiller for his antics. I chide SJ13 celebration acts. I was and am strongly against the way Whitner carries himself but like how he plays. I don't mince words and feelings to spare insulting a Bill.

None of which had the Bills sniffing playoffs let alone Super Bowl rings. Nice try.

Edited by Chef Jim

• 1 month later...

in honor of @TBNSully's top-100 album countdown, have elected to come up with a top/bottom list of over- and under-rated rock and roll acts.

here's number 10 on each list. Let the stepping on toes begin.

over-rated:

jethro tull..

one word: flute.

honoroble unmentions: u2 (beyond "zooropa"); rem (beyond "green"). both bands shoulda broke up before producing such tin-eared, over-reachingly precious gunk.

+10

under-rated:

Joan Jett.

though known mostly for her "put a dime in the jukebox, baby" Ms. Jett managed to help form The Runaways, which led to L7 and my guilty pleasure, The Donnas. and she proceeded to partner up several times with sir Paul Westerberg to produce actual rock and roll.

honorable mentions: Liz Phair, Sloan and Blue Rodeo.

more to follow.

jw

Over-rated No. 9: coldplay

Under-rated No. 9: The Cramps. ... http://forums.twobil...80#entry2817889

Over-rated No. 8: Green Day.

Under-rated No. 8: The English Beat. ... http://forums.twobil...00#entry2819264

Over-rated No. 7: The Doors.

Under-rated No. 7: T-Rex. ... http://forums.twobil...80#entry2820870

Over-rated No. 6: Genesis.

Under-rated No. 6: P*ssy Riot ... http://forums.twobil...40#entry2822344

Over-rated No. 5: Mumford and Sons

Under-rated No. 5: The Kills. ... http://forums.twobil...00#entry2823601

Over-rated No. 4: Garth Brooks.

Under-rated No. 4: Steve Earle ... http://forums.twobil...80#entry2826669

Over-rated No. 3: Radiohead.

Under-rated No. 3: The Replacements. ... http://forums.twobil...80#entry2827903

Over-rated No. 2: Dave Matthews Band

Under-Rated No. 2 (1B actually): Nick Lowe. ... http://forums.twobil...80#entry2829453

Over-rated No. 1: The White Stripes.

Under-Rated No. 1: Drive-By Truckers. ... http://forums.twobil...00#entry2831850

(Eds note: I have albums and/or seen in concert every act on this list with the exception of Coldplay.)

Radiohead over-rated? I'd wager that most people only know ONE radiohead song, even though they made some of the most influential music in the 90s.

Radiohead over-rated? I'd wager that most people only know ONE radiohead song, even though they made some of the most influential music in the 90s.

I thought radiohead only has one song? A very long song, but only one.

Why the laughter? Another of his most over-rated bands on the list, coldplay, wouldn't even be around if not for Thom Yorke. ;)

Sorry, just that age old quandry...if everyone only knows one song by them, how influential can they be?

I realize it is not as simple as that... just a funny contrast.

I must admit, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, they bore they daylights out of me...but I realize they are significant in some way. The "one song" (I assume you are talking about "Creep") is only memorable to me because the Pretenders covered it.

Edited by Buftex