Draft Grades

Acantha

New York Jets. A-. The motto of the Jets' draft was quality over quantity. Mark Sanchez's selection made this team's draft because he's a franchise-maker. New coach Rex Ryan likes his defense, so the organization felt it could focus on the offense in his first draft. The Jets picked up Iowa running back Shonn Greene, who will fit into the rotation with Leon Washington and Thomas Jones. Guard Matthew Slauson was an OK pick in the sixth round, but the key to this draft is up top with Greene and Sanchez.

Buffalo Bills B+. Aaron Maybin was the pass-rusher this team needed to anchor the defensive line.

Here is someone's breakdown of Mel's 2004 grades. http://bottom-of-the...-nfl-draft.html

This.... :thumbsup:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys let me know when you've found an NFL draft "expert".

Or well, any "expert" on the NFL.

Just because you worked as a head teller at a bank doesn't make you an expert on the economy.

Edited by dpberr

I think the only effective way to grade a draft is 2 or 3 years later. Before a guy has even played a single down in the NFL, it's a pure guesswork to predict how he'll perform.

Remember how the draft experts thought Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russel, and Andre Ware were awesome first round picks?

I think the only effective way to grade a draft is 2 or 3 years later. Before a guy has even played a single down in the NFL, it's a pure guesswork to predict how he'll perform.

Remember how the draft experts thought Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russel, and Andre Ware were awesome first round picks?

I agree, these draft gardes are meaningless and based only on everyone's evaluation of the players in college & combine, and the team's perceived needs. They often don't dive enough into what fits with what the teams want to do and schemes they will run. I do question the Bills not addressing the OL in the draft and seemingly all of the WRs and DBs when they have bigger needs IMO. At least CJ and Freddie must feel good about the lack of RBs! AJ Williams is likely nervous... I think he could get cut.

Thank you to the Bleacher Report for this brief compilation.

Summary:

Pete Prisco, CBS = C+

I was hard on the Bills for the Manuel pick, but I think they rallied to do some good things, getting Goodwin, Robert Woods, linebacker Kiko Alonso and safety Duke Williams. But they will be defined by the Manuel pick.

Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News = C

The Bills were all about going back to the drawing board with their passing game. The centerpiece is Florida State quarterback EJ Manuel, but coach Doug Marrone and his staff have their work cut out to turn him into a polished, athletic passer. They also will try to get Manuel on the same page with the receivers they took for him, USC possession-typeRobert Woods and Texas speedster Marquise Goodwin. Their best pick for the present was on defense, Oregon inside linebacker Kiko Alonso. Offensively, there's a lot of potential but more shaky unknown.

Mel Kiper, espn = C-

The Bills got a lot of value back when they moved down from No. 8 to No. 16 overall. That's the good. The bad is I just think the No. 16 pick was way too high for EJ Manuel. For me, there's simply too much projection here. He needs to prove that he's capable of getting through progressions quicker and getting the ball out....I'm surprised they didn't get a better guard prospect, given the departure of Andy Levitre. The Bills hit needs, I just think they made a major reach with the biggest need of all. But a year behind Kevin Kolb could be a huge help to Manuel.

Evan Silva, Rotoworld/NBC Sports = C+

A high-risk, potentially high-reward draft. Top Bills personnel men Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley deserve kudos for pre-draft misdirection that convinced everyone Ryan Nassib or even perhaps Matt Barkley would be the No. 8 pick. Instead, they traded down to acquire more valuable choices and still came away with real franchise quarterback target Manuel. I'm admittedly skeptical of Manuel's NFL future, but Buffalo's execution was impressive. Woods, Alonso, Williams, and Gragg were solid value selections. The former two can help right away. The jury is out on whether Goodwin upgrades on in-house speedster T.J. Graham. Meeks and Hopkins were suspect picks.

Alex Marvez, Fox Sports = A-

This grade stems from the first-round selection of E.J. Manuel, who was my favorite quarterback prospect entering the draft. Both second-round picks (Southern Cal wide receiver Robert Woods and Oregon linebacker Kiko Alonso) could be Week 1 starters.

Chris Burke, Sports Illustrated = B-

The best move of Buffalo’s entire weekend might turn out to be signing undrafted WR Da’Rick Rogers. That’s a low-risk gamble, one that pairs well with the selections of WR Robert Woods, LB Kiko Alonso and S Duke Williams. It’s also the opposite of using pick 16 on QB EJ Manuel. The Bills’ 2013 draft hinges on Manuel being able to shine.

Jason Cole, Yahoo! = B+ (2nd best in AFC)

The Bills played the right strategy game here to get the quarterback they really liked in E.J. Manuel. Buffalo traded back, picking up value in the process and still getting Manuel, who was the first passer off the board and the only one to go in the first round. The only question is whether Manuel is the right guy or not, and it's going to take two or three years to figure that out. Getting Woods in the second round is a bit of a coup. He had a bad season at USC, but many people consider him a much better talent than his numbers reflected. The rest of the group is typical of a Buddy Nix draft – solid value all the way along.

Interesting stuff and pretty predictable. Anyone that questions the Hopkins pick is clueless IMO. If he didn't think that was a need for the team he doesn't know much about this team. Anyone on here care to give our own draft grades? We understand the strengths and need of this team better.

I will give them a B+. I like Manuel but would have preferred a trade down. The Meeks pick was odd but loved the rest if the draft and UDFA.

Where a pundit thinks you should pick a player - Where you picked that player = DRAFT SCORE

This schmuck gives the Bills an F+!!!!

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/29/4280306/nfl-draft-grades-all-32-teams-in-three-and-a-half-minutes-the-daily#ooid=gxczk5YjpeI8NnyR6V3sCYLtR-3_yI5x

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

He likes Alonso, but decries that Arthur Brown was still on the board at the time Alonso was picked. Kiper having Arthur Brown rated higher is one thing, but not taking into consideration that Brown likely doesn't fit Pettine's defense whereas Alonso appears to be engineered in a lab to fit it is why these grades mean little. It's interesting and it adds to the fun of the overall draft experience, but these guys don't really know which players are fits, so it borders on extreme chutzpah when they get all huffy on camera determining "winners" and "losers".

Buffalo wanted an inside LB for it's 34 D, someone that was good at both run and pass defense. Brown is a 6'1/2", 233 lb college inside backer that Kiper projects as a OLB in the pros because he is size limited.He is also likely position limited to a 43 OLB. Kiper is comparing apples to oranges and this logic is way beneath him.

Mike Mayock singled out the Bills in a roundtable discussion on NFLN about who had the best or most intriguing draft, much much more interested in his take.

Charles Davis and David Shaw also had really nice things to say about the Bills Draft...Especially Shaw who raved about Woods and Alonso... B-)

Where a pundit thinks you should pick a player - Where you picked that player = DRAFT SCORE

PTR

Right. They are not evaluating the Bills draft. They are evaluating how well they did predicting the Bills draft. The further off we were from their projections, the lower the score.

It's nonsense. A few years ago people heaped praise on the Aaron Maybin pick. Why? Because they had him in their mock. And when he tanked, it was a bad draft for the Bills.

You either trust your team, or you don't. Although they have given us very little to trust, I still believe in them.

Kiper:

Mark Sanchez's selection made this team's draft because he's a franchise-maker.

JaMarcus Russell was a no-brainer because he has the chance to be a franchise quarterback.

Aaron Maybin was the pass-rusher this team needed to anchor the defensive line.

The Cardinals' QB of the future, Matt Leinart, fell into their lap at No. 10 (I had Leinart as the third best player in the draft).

I would have taken Leinart, but Vince Young will be a very good quarterback.

The Bills traded their 2005 first-round pick in the JP Losman deal but got a steal when receiver Roscoe Parrish fell to the late second round.

Interesting stuff and pretty predictable. Anyone that questions the Hopkins pick is clueless IMO. If he didn't think that was a need for the team he doesn't know much about this team. Anyone on here care to give our own draft grades? We understand the strengths and need of this team better.

I will give them a B+. I like Manuel but would have preferred a trade down. The Meeks pick was odd but loved the rest if the draft and UDFA.

They did trade down to get him. I guess you mean you wanted another trade down. Getting a 2nd round pick plus the QB they wanted makes this a good draft to me so far.

Kiper:

Mark Sanchez's selection made this team's draft because he's a franchise-maker.

JaMarcus Russell was a no-brainer because he has the chance to be a franchise quarterback.

Aaron Maybin was the pass-rusher this team needed to anchor the defensive line.

The Cardinals' QB of the future, Matt Leinart, fell into their lap at No. 10 (I had Leinart as the third best player in the draft).

I would have taken Leinart, but Vince Young will be a very good quarterback.

The Bills traded their 2005 first-round pick in the JP Losman deal but got a steal when receiver Roscoe Parrish fell to the late second round.

Great stuff. Just shows how clueless these people are.