Rd 3, Pick #78: WR Marquise Goodwin - Texas

boyst

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree. Austin is a football player that happens to be fast. Goodwin is a fast guy trying to play football

I was not familiar with this guy, but I don't think I agree with that assessment based on the film I"ve seen.

From the film I've seen, he seems to have good field awareness to find holes, an extra burst that can make people miss, plus quite the little vocabulary of hesitation steps, jukes, and spin moves.

I don't know what I think of the draft - there might have been better players left on the board, I'm not enough of a college fan to tell you.

But the film I saw looks like a baller. If he can hang onto the ball when he's hit hard and keep from hearing footsteps, we might have something - the one thing I didn't see in the film available, 'cuz he managed to make college guys miss so much. But the guys in the NFL won't all miss.

Nah. But back up your statement, rather than spouting hyperbole, and maybe you'll get more of an argument ....

Well, I was ok with Manual, Woods and even that mongoloid Kiko but why draft a kid who seemingly is at best your 4th receiver when OL, CB, SS still née addressing? As to me evaluating this kids talent vs Tavon Austin, which is the crux of the argument, I just finished packing my lap top into my car after a two week vacation. I've had about 10 beers and I need to get up in 7 hours. If I had more time and/or desire, I'd offer a good counter argument but I thought it might be apparent by looking at the 2 players careers let alone the eyeball test. This wasn't enough so I'll revisit this when I have time and the desire.

Interesting report from Senior Bowl practices:

http://www.burntoran...ghorns-football

Nice read. Thanks.

Well, I was ok with Manual, Woods and even that mongoloid Kiko but why draft a kid who seemingly is at best your 4th receiver when OL, CB, SS still née addressing? As to me evaluating this kids talent vs Tavon Austin, which is the crux of the argument, I just finished packing my lap top into my car after a two week vacation. I've had about 10 beers and I need to get up in 7 hours. If I had more time and/or desire, I'd offer a good counter argument but I thought it might be apparent by looking at the 2 players careers let alone the eyeball test. This wasn't enough so I'll revisit this when I have time and the desire.

From nfldraftscout watching the Senior Bowl practice where he was dominating...

Matt Miller @nfldraftscout

If only Marquise Goodwin was used like Tavon Austin.

8:29 AM - 23 Jan 2013from Mobile, AL, United States

I would have rather they drafted OL or DB with this pick but clearly Marrone and Hackett are going to bring something different to the table this year, and if they think this guy can make plays then I'm ok with the pick. I think the offense is going to be dynamic in a lot of ways. It's been awhile since we have had anything to be excited about on that side of the ball. Imagine Spiller's potential when the opposing defense has 2-3 legit WRs and a QB capable of running well to worry about, not to mention a guy like Goodwin running end arounds and screens. Chan tried to do that stuff with Smith. This guy brings it to another level. I'd imagine he can also be developed into an elite kick / punt returner.

Draft two OLinemen and 2 DBs tomorrow and ill be happy with this draft. In reality it all is going to depend on EJ. I like what I've seen on him and I think it's past time for the bills to luck out on a QB.

I hope to God this is an indication of greatness, but I have my doubts.

Oh, I do, too. I'm not really happy with the pick either. But I am excited to see this offense from all the stuff that guys have said after talking with Hackett. It's been remarkably consistent, and they all seem to love him and like what he is planning on doing, and it's something unique. Fred Davis said it, Kolb did, Manuel did, Stevie did, etc.

It's not the pick I'd envision, but I don't think you have to be creative to envision a use. A standard three receiver set with spiller in the backfield..have Goodwin lined up opposite of Stevie and TJ on the same side as Stevie and have them both run deep routes. That would pull the corner and LB/safety back and then like the two normal safeties back for over the top. That would mean a linebacker on Spiller and Single coverage on Stevie.

I'm not saying that Goodwin is going to be Sproles, but there is a place in the NFL for a guy like him if he is not expected to be a full time outside #1 or #2 WR.

Google "Marquise Goodwin: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Texas WR" (I can't insert the link for some reason)

"Speed, speed and more speed. Goodwin is going to instantly be one of the ten fastest wide receivers in the NFL—if not ten fastest players, period. He is the kind of player who has to be accounted for on every play, because he turns minor mistakes by defensive backs into touchdowns."

"As a returner and slot receiver, pro coaches are going to scheme ways to get Goodwin the ball in space. "

"With the proliferation of wide-open, space-based NFL, it becomes hard to ignore that type of speed. Whether you are a team that likes to go vertical or a precision West Coast attack, there is always room for sub-4.3 speed."

"Re: WR Marquise Goodwin, Mike Mayock: He reminded me of Mike Wallace. Had a good Senior Bowl Week. No way he gets out of the 3 round."

"Goodwin played in 50 career games, making 22 starts at receiver, and ranks among the Longhorns' all-time leaders with 120 career receptions (11th), 985 kickoff return yards (sixth) and amassed 2,776 all-purpose yards."

http://espn.go.com/espnw/more-sports/9207614/2013-nfl-draft-track-success-hurt-marquise-goodwin-nfl-dreams

Edited by Lurker

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap1000000145123/article/tavon-austin-marquise-goodwin-revive-nfl-tweener-questions

What do scouts see? One who works the Big 12 told me Sunday he feels that, though Austin's short-area quickness and instincts make him a better prospect, the biggest difference between the two might be that the coaches at West Virginia found a way to capitalize on Austin's rare ability while the coaches at Texas simply couldn't do the same with Goodwin.

Nice language, slobone.